The Wilderless Years

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How did he rinse them if that's the contract he signed?

He had a terrible season last season but the season before was the best in a generation and more for that club. Few managers would have got that squad promoted to the Pl in the first place. 

The fractious board divided parts of the club and the new regime pushing out the fans man did nothing to help matters. If they don't start winning soon they will have their backs against the wall. 

Probably the ‘I’m resigning but only when you agree to give me a pay off’ routine I would imagine…

2 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Probably the ‘I’m resigning but only when you agree to give me a pay off’ routine I would imagine…

If he wasn't due a pay off and they didn't want rid of him they wouldn't have agreed to it would they?

Last season was abysmal for them, he wasted a lot of money, but he got them to a place most of them never imagined and many of them have never seen in their lifetime. That squad was no way top 2 in the Championship when they got promoted and should never have been top 10 in the PL. 

They sacked him after 6 bad months, glad it is working out for them. 

1 minute ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If he wasn't due a pay off and they didn't want rid of him they wouldn't have agreed to it would they?

Last season was abysmal for them, he wasted a lot of money, but he got them to a place most of them never imagined and many of them have never seen in their lifetime. That squad was no way top 2 in the Championship when they got promoted and should never have been top 10 in the PL. 

They sacked him after 6 bad months, glad it is working out for them. 

He’d got them into a massive hole, took public pot shots at the Board due to lack of backing, they publicly backed him whatever the result and as soon as they did that he wanted to resign…but refused to without a payoff and then amplified the anti-Board narrative in the press.

So yeah, he rinsed them.

• Like 1

Just now, McRightSide said:

He’d got them into a massive hole, took public pot shots at the Board due to lack of backing, they publicly backed him whatever the result and as soon as they did that he wanted to resign…but refused to without a payoff and then amplified the anti-Board narrative in the press.

So yeah, he rinsed them.

The board aren't exactly doing a great job are they. Current players critical of long standing issues at the training ground, apparently spent a good chunk of PL money up front in loans taken out, spent 6 months with a temporary manager in charge after sacking Wilder, brought that gut in from Bournemouth to assist Heckingbottom, strange all round.

Wilder had 6 bad months in 4 and a half years (bad months at a level he got them to) and they got rid of him. If they hadn't agreed to a pay off in his contract he would not have been able to negotiate a pay off on resignation. 

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How did he rinse them if that's the contract he signed?

He had a terrible season last season but the season before was the best in a generation and more for that club. Few managers would have got that squad promoted to the Pl in the first place. 

The fractious board divided parts of the club and the new regime pushing out the fans man did nothing to help matters. If they don't start winning soon they will have their backs against the wall.

He wanted to resign and get a pay off at the same time.

Pretty sure that's not how it usually works.

Just now, SiJ said:

He wanted to resign and get a pay off at the same time.

Pretty sure that's not how it usually works.

If the board hadn't tied themselves to a huge pay off for him then they would have told him where to go with his request?

Only themselves to blame. 

20 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

If the board hadn't tied themselves to a huge pay off for him then they would have told him where to go with his request?

Only themselves to blame. 

He got what he wanted while things were going well....new contract each year, higher salaries.... pity they couldn't see that the bubble could burst anytime....no it's not really

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

The board aren't exactly doing a great job are they. Current players critical of long standing issues at the training ground, apparently spent a good chunk of PL money up front in loans taken out, spent 6 months with a temporary manager in charge after sacking Wilder, brought that gut in from Bournemouth to assist Heckingbottom, strange all round.

Wilder had 6 bad months in 4 and a half years (bad months at a level he got them to) and they got rid of him. If they hadn't agreed to a pay off in his contract he would not have been able to negotiate a pay off on resignation. 

Ok we’ve clearly got a Wilder lover here

He wanted out before January if you believe the Prince etc. Was worried about the long lasting damage to his reputation.

Offered to resign but sought a substantive payoff to do so.

Proceeded to then complain in public, slate the players, the recruitment and so forth. Seems like he was clearly trying to force them into sacking him, as that would mean a pay off.

Seems like he made the position  so untenable that they had little choice in the end.

But yes, he was one of their own.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, SiJ said:

He wanted out before January if you believe the Prince etc. Was worried about the long lasting damage to his reputation.

Offered to resign but sought a substantive payoff to do so.

Proceeded to then complain in public, slate the players, the recruitment and so forth. Seems like he was clearly trying to force them into sacking him, as that would mean a pay off.

Seems like he made the position  so untenable that they had little choice in the end.

But yes, he was one of their own.

Totally

And there was me thinking it was only their fans that were stoopid enough to buy it

I think he's very much along the lines of Aidy Boothroyd tbh

Theres more than enough proof it doesnt take great expertise to get promoted to the PL nor stay there for a season

The trick is in longevity and continual improvement until a natural plateau is reached

18 hours ago, SiJ said:

Good mate of mine still obsessed with Wilder.

Perhaps one day he will be back etc.

Won't hear a bad word against the man, despite the fact he clearly threw his toys out the pram and then rinses them for a few million quid.

I've got a mate who's exactly the same. I understand what Wilder achieved was unbelievable but he just wont accept any criticism of him at all. Excuse after excuse for the crap signings and terrible results and performances last year. It's like a cult. I looked on their forum last night though and some fans are saying the crap performance on Saturday was down to the players Wilder left behind so maybe the tide is turning. 

Wilder isn’t a bad manager!

as much as it pains me to say it, 

but he isn’t the next pep that most of their fans (and some of ours) make out! 

brilliant man manager with the ability to get mediocre players running through brick walls for him, confidence goes a hell of a long way in football! 
what let wilder down was three things 

(In order of importance) 

1. he believed his own hype - yeah he did a great job but you could see he was oozing with arrogance,

believed he was untouchable and for a while he was, but he flew too close to the sun and ended up crispy bacon! 
2. inability/reluctancy to change - players and lineups rarely changed during his tenure which is fine when things are going well but when the shît hits the fan and you still change nothing you can’t expect a different outcome.

and 3. Wilder is awful at recruitment - 

the season before they were solid at the back but didn’t get enough goals.

I said at the start of last season to my partner who threw no fault of her own is a blade that I thought they’d struggle maybe even go down due to the transfers alone! 
Henderson should’ve been Wilders number one target that summer, whatever happened they needed him back! 
with an experienced prem striker like Danny Ings his second but instead he refused to pay what Man Utd wanted for Henderson, brought in a relegated keeper they’d let go a season before for stupid money and blew most of his budget on a unproven kid from Liverpool! 

if Brewster was that great Liverpool wouldn’t have let him go especially to a team in their league. 
his reluctance to use the international market still baffles me now!
Yeah he brought in berge but I can’t think of another international signing wilder made! 
even before they got promoted his recruitment was awful, how many players did he signed, not play and then ship out? 

one final point and feel free to disagree with me but united’s promotion was incredibly lucky,

if Leeds hadn’t imploded,

I couldn’t see them beating that villa side in the play offs. 

6616C1D4-D807-4B44-968C-091CDCA2C27D.jpeg.35785a6c95885f1dfc6eba6227c9617e.jpeg 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, LJH1867OWLS said:

Wilder isn’t a bad manager!

as much as it pains me to say it, 

but he isn’t the next pep that most of their fans (and some of ours) make out! 

brilliant man manager with the ability to get mediocre players running through brick walls for him, confidence goes a hell of a long way in football! 
what let wilder down was three things 

(In order of importance) 

1. he believed his own hype - yeah he did a great job but you could see he was oozing with arrogance,

believed he was untouchable and for a while he was, but he flew too close to the sun and ended up crispy bacon! 
2. inability/reluctancy to change - players and lineups rarely changed during his tenure which is fine when things are going well but when the shît hits the fan and you still change nothing you can’t expect a different outcome.

and 3. Wilder is awful at recruitment - 

the season before they were solid at the back but didn’t get enough goals.

I said at the start of last season to my partner who threw no fault of her own is a blade that I thought they’d struggle maybe even go down due to the transfers alone! 
Henderson should’ve been Wilders number one target that summer, whatever happened they needed him back! 
with an experienced prem striker like Danny Ings his second but instead he refused to pay what Man Utd wanted for Henderson, brought in a relegated keeper they’d let go a season before for stupid money and blew most of his budget on a unproven kid from Liverpool! 

if Brewster was that great Liverpool wouldn’t have let him go especially to a team in their league. 
his reluctance to use the international market still baffles me now!
Yeah he brought in berge but I can’t think of another international signing wilder made! 
even before they got promoted his recruitment was awful, how many players did he signed, not play and then ship out? 

one final point and feel free to disagree with me but united’s promotion was incredibly lucky,

if Leeds hadn’t imploded,

I couldn’t see them beating that villa side in the play offs. 

6616C1D4-D807-4B44-968C-091CDCA2C27D.jpeg.35785a6c95885f1dfc6eba6227c9617e.jpeg 

From what I was told by my mate, who's unfortunately a Blunt, is that the Berge signing was basically completed by the board and it wasn't a target of Wilder. Kind of when the problems started to arise amongst him and the Prince showing that he wasn't going to have much control in their transfer activity. There was another lad they signed, a striker, around the same time, think he was Dutch but could be wrong on that, again not a player Wilder had identified as a target but was brought in.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

From what I was told by my mate, who's unfortunately a Blunt, is that the Berge signing was basically completed by the board and it wasn't a target of Wilder. Kind of when the problems started to arise amongst him and the Prince showing that he wasn't going to have much control in their transfer activity. There was another lad they signed, a striker, around the same time, think he was Dutch but could be wrong on that, again not a player Wilder had identified as a target but was brought in.

He wanted to keep managing them like the Dog and Duck. 

The days of a manager exerting that much influence are largely gone now. 

Clubs aren't willing to let one man wield quite so much power given how finite a manager's time often is. 

Berge is clearly a good footballer, but he so often looked out of place in that United set up.