The Wilderless Years

Mate of mines son who's 26 and a pig got caught out before the season started and had to go down the stain with cap in hand. He's had to pay the difference but he's still got a ST. A few more leatherings and I'll bet he wished he'd sacked it...... Tight scrubbers on about £800 a week as well..... Goes without saying I gave it him large 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I actually think the balance has tipped into being quite justifiable. I think there was a period, specifically while Wenger was still there and they were still routinely qualifying for the CL, when Arsenal fans just sounded like a bunch of entitled, ungrateful t*ssers. 

I think it’s justified at the minute. They’re an aimless mess and I genuinely think Ramsdale at anywhere near £30m is a joke signing. In all honesty I think the only difference between them and the likes of Newcastle at the minute is financial brute force. 

Justified now indeed. Perhaps they shouldn’t have hounded Wenger out and shown utter disdain for a man who completely transformed their football club for the better? 

35 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Justified now indeed. Perhaps they shouldn’t have hounded Wenger out and shown utter disdain for a man who completely transformed their football club for the better? 

Completely agree.

But Wenger’s no spring chicken and quite frankly deserved to take a step away. There was always going to be life without Wenger sooner or later, and near enough everything Arsenal have done since he left has been comically bad. 

Like I said above, I really don’t see modern Arsenal as being any better than Newcastle in terms of structure, planning, an idea what’s going off.. other than being propped up by an ability to spend £120m if they want to. Wenger’s been gone 3 years now and I think Arsenal fans are somewhat justified in their frustration that everything seems to have continued to get rapidly worse under other people’s watch. 

7 minutes ago, snaykz said:

Not sure it’s actually £30m, I believe that includes potential add-ons, but it does highlight the ridiculousness of the modern transfer market. 

What does he have on all these managers?! He's played 2 seasons in the top flight and been relegated twice.

And I know that transfer fees is a bit stupid, but Christ, above Buffon!

The ticket issue was one that McCabe knew about and secretly allowed it, I think he actually wanted it because he knew without it happening the majority of those fans doing it would not attend and then he'd have zero revenue from most of them.

He also saw attendances as a means to say Utd were bigger, hence a multitude of things to get attendances up.  Probably used it as a selling point for players coming in, also when selling advertising space on programmes and hoardings etc.

Thousands of free tickets to university students, hoping that the ones that stayed in Sheffield after their studies would become longer term fans, but they did bump the crowd figures up too.   I actually think this was a good thing and wished We had done the same, although the location of our ground wouldn't have had quite as big a take up.

Also, an awful lot of fans signed up for the cheapest possible college courses they could find, I think for years the Urdu course had a massive take up, but very few people turned up for the lessons.   £60 for the course, to get a legitimate student price season ticket!

Then more recently, although as someone above said it's been happening for a long time, turning a blind eye to people entering on junior tickets.

That's why with lower gates, our accounts showed a lot more cash coming in from bums on seats than them, even before DC's pricing structure.

• Like 3