The Wilderless Years

1 minute ago, TodwickOwl said:

Spanked Boro

They look good for going up - look at the state of the playoff teams - Hudds, Blackburn and Luton!? Dreadful standard.

I fear so.

Might get top two.

4 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Spanked Boro

They look good for going up - look at the state of the playoff teams - Hudds, Blackburn and Luton!? Dreadful standard.

Fulham and us probably said the same thing about Huddersfield and Reading

Look how that worked out

• Like 1

This performance is a one-off, though.

You can't predict the rest of the season based on tonight's game.

It's very disappointing, but I just think United wanted it more and had a point to prove.

This game meant a lot to Tufty and United's players, but not to Boro's lads.

For them it was just another away game.

And United's players are better at playing Wilder's way than Boro's.

Tufty didn't build that team, he inherited it.

I still don't think the Blades will go up, not unless they can clinch that second spot, which isn't likely.

And I'd still fancy Wilder to turn them over in the play-offs should they meet.

Oil and water don't mix, night follows day, and the Blades don't do play-offs.

lol 

48 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

Spanked Boro

I'm not sure it works that way, though.

I mean, we won seven consecutive league games and then lost in the semis.

In the past United have often looked the favourites and yet frozen in the play-offs.

It just doesn't work for them, never has.

Boro's players may not have had a point to prove before tonight's fixture, but at least Tufty has got something to pin on the dressing-room wall now should they meet in May.

1 hour ago, TodwickOwl said:

Spanked Boro

Tom Lees play off final winning goal. V pigs. Injury time. 

there I called it 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I'm not sure it works that way, though.

I mean, we won seven consecutive league games and then lost in the semis.

In the past United have often looked the favourites and yet frozen in the play-offs.

It just doesn't work for them, never has.

Boro's players may not have had a point to prove before tonight's fixture, but at least Tufty has got something to pin on the dressing-room wall now should they meet in May.

Boro looked absolutely awful - they're not gonna get in the playoffs

Forest could make a surge, they played with good tempo - just need someone up top to stick it in 

Really kicking myself not betting on them to go up when jokanovic was sacked. Unfortunately they're back to their formation they're used to and use all the way through their academy hence the upturn in results

They're going up. Teams around the playoffs are poor. Even top 2 isn't even out of their reach

no way they go up automatic, bournemouth have too many games in hand even if they are making a mess of them. they'll get a playoff spot no doubt but it'll be hard whoever they get. Luton, QPR, Forest, all would be tough games over 2 legs. 

The thing is, no matter how good they look prior to the play-offs, and no matter how bobbar their opponents appear, when it comes to the play-offs they freeze.

Historically, to get promoted Utd need to do it automatically and that looks unlikely.

2 hours ago, markg said:

Amazing how when they go up it's the worst championship ever. When we don't go up it's the most competitive league one ever. Really??

Our current points would have us 4th in the Championship, whereas we're 8th in League one. Added to that, there are 3 teams in the play offs who finished in the bottom half last season. It definitely seems like a poorer league than usual in the championship, whereas league one seems more competitive than usual. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be honest I still don't think they'll go up, there's still plenty of games left and despite a good run from Agent Heck (can't deny it) they've slipped up in some games where you would expect them to win such as Derby and Millwall. My outsider tip for the playoffs is actually Forest.

If they stay in the Championship next season I can see it been a real test for them, some of them will be sold and Gibbs White will be playing in the PL whether that be with Wolves or another team. Said at the time I was gutted when they signed him because the lad is class in the Championship. 

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

Our current points would have us 4th in the Championship, whereas we're 8th in League one. Added to that, there are 3 teams in the play offs who finished in the bottom half last season. It definitely seems like a poorer league than usual in the championship, whereas league one seems more competitive than usual. 

Plus, two teams have points deductions, so that's two less teams likely to challenge at the top. There are no teams in the division as big as Newcastle, Villa or Leeds. (Sunderland have a higher average attendance than any Championshp team this season.) The impact of Covid has probably made parachute payments even more of a benefit than they already were. 

• Like 1