The Wilderless Years

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

Nothing really to suggest that though. Apart from one good season at Barnsley he has failed as a manager at other clubs. It's clear as day that he's been brought in as a yes man and not for his managerial ability. He'll lap up whatever the board says and keep his trap shut where as Slav was outspoken similar to Wilder and if he wasn't happy with the board he'd make it known in his post match interviews. Hecky will be the polar opposite praising the board at every opportunity and that is the only reason he's got the job

.he had twenty games as caretaker at Barnsley with a 60 pc win rate. Caretakers quite often have good win rates. Since then he has managed a win rate over 30 pc only once in Scotland where he was sacked and fairly disliked. His other three jobs have been sub 30 pc.

There is nothing in his record to suggest he should get a championship.

But watching the press conference, success on the pitch is not his job....it’s salvaging the financial car crash.  Try and get the big money signings back on form to recoup some of the money wasted, and try and polish a few turds to sell down the market. Make no mistake, they will be a selling club from this window.

5 hours ago, Plonk said:

.he had twenty games as caretaker at Barnsley with a 60 pc win rate. Caretakers quite often have good win rates. Since then he has managed a win rate over 30 pc only once in Scotland where he was sacked and fairly disliked. His other three jobs have been sub 30 pc.

There is nothing in his record to suggest he should get a championship.

But watching the press conference, success on the pitch is not his job....it’s salvaging the financial car crash.  Try and get the big money signings back on form to recoup some of the money wasted, and try and polish a few turds to sell down the market. Make no mistake, they will be a selling club from this window.

They will struggle to get rid of their high earners, just as we struggled. The only teams that will want them are championship at best and they will not pay large fees and wages for them. The players will just run their contracts down same as they did here

• Like 1

7 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Nothing really to suggest that though. Apart from one good season at Barnsley he has failed as a manager at other clubs. It's clear as day that he's been brought in as a yes man and not for his managerial ability. He'll lap up whatever the board says and keep his trap shut where as Slav was outspoken similar to Wilder and if he wasn't happy with the board he'd make it known in his post match interviews. Hecky will be the polar opposite praising the board at every opportunity and that is the only reason he's got the job

Don't get me wrong of course that's why he has been brought in.  

I am just saying I don't think he will totally flop at it like some are assuming he will.

Got to feel for Heckingbottom, they’re setting him up as a bit of a fall guy here

This Yusif Jim Royle chairman fella basically said that you won’t be hearing from himself or the prince again, and that Heckingbottom and that nervous looking bloke next to him are now the face of the club, and will be expected to face the tough questions when it all goes south from here on in 

Edited by Django

12 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

I distinctly recall someone ringing RS on Weds tea time praising Slav & his formations etc in their last 2 games. Coventry 0-0 who were in 4th and an away win 1-0 at Reading. The caller pointed out that Cov were no mugs and winning at Reading is no mean feat, coupled with 2 clean sheets.

I nodded to myself as I drove along, honestly worried that he might have a point & their season might be turning for the better. He also said it would be silly to sack him, as he seemed to have found a proper formula, to paraphrase.

So then what do they go and do?!  WTF:

If a man like Slav & his previous record, couldn't get Cwissy's circle jerkers to play, how the heck is inbottom going to?

This is manna from heaven for us lot. And to think that caller almost had me..............

I looked at the stats for the Reading match. Reading had their first shot on goal on 82 minutes.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Hecky will do fine - but it’s more what the choice to bin Slav and hire him (on a 5 year deal) symbolises 

Slav couldn't get his head round adding a Y to the end of everybodies name is what I heard. Piece of pee for Hecky that

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I am probably in the minority here. But I actually think Heckingbottom will do ok there.  Not promotion or anything. But he will stabilise them.

Will go back to the same tactics Wilder had, with probably the same sort of players. Was u23s coach so will integrate most of them ok aswell..

We won't be passing them on our way to promotion, put it that way.

I partly agree. I can kind of see why they've appointed him - 3-5-2 formation has been learnt from the entire youth setup up to first team level, and with Hecky being involved with the youngsters he knows what they're like and can better integrate them in to the first team. They've got a good record of youth so can keep promoting and in theory keep first team going with just the odd external signing keep money paid out less

My problem with it though is it is a huge risk trusting youngsters. Not only that, it does not make them flexible at all in terms of formations when teams suss how to play against their formation

12 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

I am probably in the minority here. But I actually think Heckingbottom will do ok there.  Not promotion or anything. But he will stabilise them.

Will go back to the same tactics Wilder had, with probably the same sort of players. Was u23s coach so will integrate most of them ok aswell..

We won't be passing them on our way to promotion, put it that way.

Yes, he stabilised them last year when he was in charge, to the extent that they still got relegated and didn't improve at all

and the players and Wilders tactics worked so well last season

the players that are left from their promotion season are now older as well

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Django said:

Got to feel for Heckingbottom, they’re setting him up as a bit of a fall guy here

This Yusif Jim Royle chairman fella basically said that you won’t be hearing from himself or the prince again, and that Heckingbottom and that nervous looking bloke next to him are now the face of the club, and will be expected to face the tough questions when it all goes south from here on in 

I think he’s very lucky to have a job at all. He’s got precious little on his cv to suggest he’d be in the running for a manager’s job at any level. Another manager coming in and he could be out altogether.