Educate Me On Your Club

Dear Mr Dumb American, it sounds to me like you have been called or chosen, have it how you wish. Consider carefully how you respond, as once you accept there simply is no return. There is no respite in times of suffering, you will suffer agony at times and see things which will bring you to tears. It may bring unhappiness amongst your family, as sometimes you will be impossible to live with.

So, why, I hear you asking, should you want to be a part of all that? Is it worth all that suffering. The answer to the first is, if you have been called, you'll already know, and the answer to the second part is, absolutely.

Or maybe you're just a pig on the wind up.😂

We like to say we are Massive but it's (mainly) tongue-in-cheek.

We are owned by the Thai equivalent of Will Arnett's character in 'Arrested Development'.  

The best thing that has happened to us in the last 30 years is when the club made a cake shaped (roughly) like a football.

Reckon that about covers it.

6 hours ago, DumbAmerican said:

Hi! I am an American Manchester United fan who is simulating your team on FM21 (mainly because I wanted to simulate the Blades' rival since I don't like them very much for personal reasons).

I am aware of your financial situation and I am very sorry to hear about it (I hope you guys do well in the near future).

Most new foreign fans of Sheffield teams pick the pigs over their recent prem stint (and they refer to them as Sheffield smh) so I am in the minority who pick you guys over your rivals lately it feels like.

My first season of FM21, I got the owls to finish 16th in the table (would be 13th without the deduction), and I finished 3rd in the defensive table, which was not easy but I enjoyed simulating with your team a lot. 

Please educate me on your team a bit. I sound a bit silly here but I genuinely want to know more about your team. 

Educate you on SWFC 

We play in Blue and White and we are perpetually rubbish and in deep doo doo

Thats all you need to know to become a Wednesdayite because we are all thick as whale blubber or we would support a good side 

No way you American. The pigs? No American comes up with that off the cuff.

I feel "silly',  highly unlikely from an American.

'pick the pigs over their recent prem stint'. Stint!!!! Lol

I am in the minority who pick you guys over your rivals lately it feels like. - English so bad it can only come from a British person. 

• Haha 1

A club historically having a tradition of being a community club, followed decent hard working people, as are all South Yorkshire clubs, but recently their club is becoming a very sad example of what can happen to football clubs when in the wrong hands. 

it’s criminal whats going on in S6. A complete and utter numpty being allowed to destroy a club support by tens of thousands of people. 

14 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

When was this? I seem to remember them winning trophies including a European trophy whilst all we could muster was 7th on the odd occasion. 

We were never as good as Chelsea, on a level with them in the 80s I guess but even before then they'd won a Europwan trophy.

Man City too, a European trophy winner and spent majority of their existence in the first. Just because they hadn't done as much as their neighbours (who let's not forget weren't massively successful either until 93) doesn't mean they were better than us. Again, maybe level pegging in the 80s.

13 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Before my time that. Can't imagine we were way better than them even then though tbh.

Chelsea didn't overhaul us in the overall honours list until about 2010 and City not until about 2015.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Morepork said:

Trying to add some American context to help you understand our club……….

Think Donald Trump crossed with Pearl Harbour. That should help.

Maybe more like the assassination of JF Kennedy crossed with 9/11

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Chelsea didn't overhaul us in the overall honours list until about 2010 and City not until about 2015.

Just to clarify, prior to 1996 Chelsea had won 1 League title (1950), 1 FA Cup (1970), 1 League Cup (1965) and 1 Cup Winners Cup (1971). Everything else has been won since 1996 and mostly since 2005.

In total they have now won 6 League titles, 8 FA Cups, 5 League Cups, 2 Champions League, 2 Europa League, 2 Cup Winners Cups and 1 Super Cup.

As for City, prior to 1996

2 League titles, 4 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 Cup Winners Cup

They now have in total

6 League titles, 7 FA Cups & 8 League Cups still just the one European honour.

Just goes to show what could have been if we had, had similar backing to the two of them when it really counted.

• Like 2

@DumbAmerican,  Welcome to the Owlstalk Forum, you will learn a lot about SWFC here, there are many very knowledgeable people on this Forum.   SWFC has a fairly large following here in the U.S.A.,  from coast-to-coast.  I'm an American too.

I've been a fan since 1970,  and you're joining the SWFC fanbase during a time which is very like the SWFC 1970's days, when it was 3rd Tier football,  2nd Tier at best...

The English are very serious about the subject of supporting one Club or another, because they are born into it, it's a Family tradition, for 150+ years in the case of SWFC.  As a general rule, they support only one Club, so,  you might want to consider dropping your support for MANU,  sometimes this latter Club is referred to as "MANURE."   

In any case, You are now a Wednesday fan, and it is an incurable condition.  Just keep reading on Owlstalk, and you will learn all about SWFC, there is no question which cannot be answered, concerning Sheffield Wednesday, on this Forum.  

WAWAW.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neon Nick said:

@DumbAmerican,  Welcome to the Owlstalk Forum, you will learn a lot about SWFC here, there are many very knowledgeable people on this Forum.   SWFC has a fairly large following here in the U.S.A.,  from coast-to-coast.  I'm an American too.

I've been a fan since 1970,  and you're joining the SWFC fanbase during a time which is very like the SWFC 1970's days, when it was 3rd Tier football,  2nd Tier at best...

The English are very serious about the subject of supporting one Club or another, because they are born into it, it's a Family tradition, for 150+ years in the case of SWFC.  As a general rule, they support only one Club, so,  you might want to consider dropping your support for MANU,  sometimes this latter Club is referred to as "MANURE."   

In any case, You are now a Wednesday fan, and it is an incurable condition.  Just keep reading on Owlstalk, and you will learn all about SWFC, there is no question which cannot be answered, concerning Sheffield Wednesday, on this Forum.  

WAWAW.

How did you first find out about Sheffield Wednesday?

We also have the Rotherham Owls coach, which take fans of Wednesday from Rotherham to Hillsborough, by coach.  The fans who travel on coach are regarded as the most passionate and loyal of the clubs fans.   

Indeed many Sheffield based fans travel to Rotherham just to drink and mingle with the true believers and will buy them pints of beer all afternoon in the belief that it will bring them good fortune.

We leave from Silverwood Miners club in Dalton around 14:00 and its costs around £7 and arrives back about 17:45.

• Haha 4