Is it an impossible task?

5 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

I keep reading on here how you don’t rate your keepers.

you wonder what should be done

i’ve told you how 💩our recruitment is……

The answer should be obvious……

4E7FEF2E-B4BA-44D9-B878-0E1C90DB2531.thumb.png.2428112fb3dc5308eb0f5720e2e345fe.png 

Ignore the haters.

Dawson is one of the best goalkeepers we currently have.  

You get the best of both worlds with him.  He's young enough to be a schoolboy on the field, and old enough to be earning lots of money for your troubles.

Both have 50+ games at championship level averaging a clean sheet in +27% of those games. Both have had spells where they have looked good. So I’d say both have the aptitude to be good keepers at this and championship level. 

However!! Both have certainly gone backwards. I’m not sure if this is attitude, mental fortitude, confidence…. It seems to long a spell to be considered form.

I believe both would benefit from a spell away from here in a less pressured environment. I’m not sure how realistic that is for Dawson considering the bumper salary he got to prevent him being 2020’s Shaw/Urhoghide. As back then there were plenty of talk about him leaving for Celtic/Rangers and a clamour to pay what it takes to get him signed up! How hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I fear if we go into season with them, they regress further. Our fans are hardly supporting of players going through bad patches and I think that would only impact their confidence further.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I love to see local lads playing for Wednesday but sadly have to admit they both have had enough chances and not the standard we require.

Also note that Cameron Dawson is 26 and Joe Wildsmith is 25 they are not inexperienced professionals anymore.

To use a popular phrase at the moment if not now then when?

Would be better if we moved them on but are unlikely to do this as the clubs they are likely to attract will not be able to match the wages they are on here.

Regarding moving them on, what club is going to take a gaff prone keeper off our hands… at any level ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

Before the euros I was going to suggest ward from Leicester on loan....but after his performance in euros he will probably get a shot at number 1 with a club in Premier league. 

Would have been a good suggestion, tho I feel he’s more likely to be a number 1 in the championship than the premier league now.  Goalkeeper is a funny position,  if you are second choice you get very little game time. Ward is good enough to be a number 1 for someone yet may sit and watch Schmeichal play 95% of Leicester’s games this season.  

If we can get a keeper as good as Ward on loan we would be very happy.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mogbad said:

Both are poor positionally, neither commands their area or has the confidence of their team mates,  they’re both mentally weak & concede goals from shots that an average League One keeper would save. 

That’s a lot of basic faults for any decent coach to iron out of them. If I was the new goalkeeping coach I’d be telling DM that neither of them can be relied on and a new keeper is a must.

Bang on the money for me.

They can’t do the basics well, coaching isn’t going to sort it, they are just not good enough. 

• Like 1

Think back to when they first played , and i think its fair to say that BOTH of them have regressed , which should bring the standard of coaching into focus and rightly so.

It could be salvageable , but Wildsmith in particular looks completely shot of confidence and a new keeper is needed ASAP , i think its make or break for both of them this season.

3 hours ago, quinnssweetshop said:

We'd do better with no keeper and an extra forward....... oh...wait.

Use to play goalie-wag in the park. When everyone pushed up attacking and the opposites broke away everyone sent scamming to get back and ended up about four trying to stop a shot. I sometimes think we're playing goalie-wag when these two are in goal.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rogers said:

Another thread...biggest talking point of the closed season

It would be great to hear from their staunch supporters during the Westwood out campaign.  Have they changed their minds? If so, it’s time for a change

I'll hold my hand up and admit I did think that that they were effected by the Westwood situation. If either sneezed out of place they got slaughtered for it. They both looked at times scared stiff of making a mistake, which invariably in that mindframe you make more. 

That said it looks like we're going to be stuck with both of them as this seasons keepers, so all we can do is see if they've toughened up or gained confidence now its over. 

Personally I just think it's part of the weakest and leaderless side we've ever assembled in my time. As we can add the likes of reach, Palmer and Co to that too. Heads drop too easily, confidence just dissappears in an instant and weve lacked the leaders to inspire and galvanise. I'd never have picked either bazza or Lees. 

46 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'll hold my hand up and admit I did think that that they were effected by the Westwood situation. If either sneezed out of place they got slaughtered for it. They both looked at times scared stiff of making a mistake, which invariably in that mindframe you make more. 

That said it looks like we're going to be stuck with both of them as this seasons keepers, so all we can do is see if they've toughened up or gained confidence now its over. 

Personally I just think it's part of the weakest and leaderless side we've ever assembled in my time. As we can add the likes of reach, Palmer and Co to that too. Heads drop too easily, confidence just dissappears in an instant and weve lacked the leaders to inspire and galvanise. I'd never have picked either bazza or Lees. 

I agree to a certain extent, but a back up

keeper you are always going to be judged against the No.1. It’s a hard role at a club, you don’t get games for weeks, then have to fill in and perform. You need to be physiologically ready and confident 

But I think the young lads had more games than a normal No.2 would have over the past 2 years. 

11 hours ago, Raminpeace said:

I keep reading on here how you don’t rate your keepers.

you wonder what should be done

i’ve told you how 💩our recruitment is……

The answer should be obvious……

4E7FEF2E-B4BA-44D9-B878-0E1C90DB2531.thumb.png.2428112fb3dc5308eb0f5720e2e345fe.png 

Dawson is a fantastic young keeper, destined for great things. Potential England No1. You will have to pay a fortune to tempt us to sell.

(do you think they fell for it)

12 hours ago, Supervisor2 said:

NB…A sneaky bid for Scott Carson/LeeGrant can’t  do no harm though  (if the price is right) as I am sure they are more than capable of coping  with this league for a season and lead to a possible coaching position 

I believe Grant has just signed a 1 year contract to be Man Us third string back up, so maybe a loan bid for 12 months.

I don't think Westwood has found a club yet, so again a 12 months contract on our terms.

Both are far in front of Wildsmith and Dawson.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, prowl said:

Dawson is a fantastic young keeper, destined for great things. Potential England No1. You will have to pay a fortune to tempt us to sell.

(do you think they fell for it)

That’s good enough for us.

• Haha 1