Is it an impossible task?

Based on what we have seen from both Cameron and Joe in recent years and their continuing errors what would you expect the new coach to have identified as the most important areas each must improve on? 
If these 2 careers could be turned round it would be win/win all round. 

Are we asking too much?

10 minutes ago, Hillsborough Park said:

Based on what we have seen from both Cameron and Joe in recent years and their continuing errors what would you expect the new coach to have identified as the most important areas each must improve on? 

Are we asking too much?

It's worth a try and could/should be done in the background and we shouldn't see the two young lads anywhere near our first team squad until it's done

And whilst it's going on we need a new goalkeeper and possibly a second choice keeper too

• Like 3

Owlstalk Shop

Both are poor positionally, neither commands their area or has the confidence of their team mates,  they’re both mentally weak & concede goals from shots that an average League One keeper would save. 

That’s a lot of basic faults for any decent coach to iron out of them. If I was the new goalkeeping coach I’d be telling DM that neither of them can be relied on and a new keeper is a must.

• Like 4

They've had a lot of opportunity to stake their claim and have failed.

Our season depends in a large part on having a solid keeper who doesn't make daft mistakes on a regular basis. If you can't depend on the keeper the whole defence is nervous. We need a steady keeper urgently. We also need strikers but the keeper is in my view the most important signing we will make. We can't keep failing to sign players for glaring gaps in the first team.

I know we have problems at the club but the least a fan should expect is that the team is balanced. DC doesn't give us a 25% discount on tickets because we are short 25% of the squad.. I know it doesn't work like that in football but you wouldn't go to buy a new car and expect to find it was missing an engine. That's what we are expected to do when buying season tickets.

5 minutes ago, mogbad said:

Both are poor positionally, neither commands their area or has the confidence of their team mates,  they’re both mentally weak & concede goals from shots that an average League One keeper would save. 

That’s a lot of basic faults for any decent coach to iron out of them. If I was the new goalkeeping coach I’d be telling DM that neither of them can be relied on and a new keeper is a must.

All fairness, think DM is a token yes-man in to not answer back to DC. DM has made it clear he isn’t happy with the size and strength of the squad and GK is an area of particular weakness. If I were a betting man I would say DM will be gone sacked or given up and resigned by October when the reality of no meaningful preparation during the summer bites. Another poo-ty season of struggle to come me thinks!

I love to see local lads playing for Wednesday but sadly have to admit they both have had enough chances and not the standard we require.

Also note that Cameron Dawson is 26 and Joe Wildsmith is 25 they are not inexperienced professionals anymore.

To use a popular phrase at the moment if not now then when?

Would be better if we moved them on but are unlikely to do this as the clubs they are likely to attract will not be able to match the wages they are on here.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Hillsborough Park said:

Are we asking too much?

Yes.

A new goalkeeping coach that nobodies heard of.

Think we're clutching at straws if we think the pair of them can be turned round.

Even Darren admits we need a new no.1

• Like 2

Another thread...biggest talking point of the closed season

It would be great to hear from their staunch supporters during the Westwood out campaign.  Have they changed their minds? If so, it’s time for a change

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mogbad said:

Once again some of the blame for their progress over the last 2-3 years must rest on the shoulders of Rhodes and Weaver. 
Now I know a lot on Owlstalk held Andy Rhodes in high esteem but his job was to bring the best out of our keepers while working tirelessly to correct their errors and make their overall game good enough to become a competent No.1 keepers at the club. Both our keepers currently have deep faults that at their age should not be there

I have posted several times asking just what our goalie coaches have been doing for YEARS 

They must spend everyday playing cards and watching the tele. 

Sorry but they are not without blame !!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bolton9owl said:

Once again some of the blame for their progress over the last 2-3 years must rest on the shoulders of Rhodes and Weaver. 
Now I know a lot on Owlstalk held Andy Rhodes in high esteem but his job was to bring the best out of our keepers while working tirelessly to correct their errors and make their overall game good enough to become a competent No.1 keepers at the club. Both our keepers currently have deep faults that at their age should not be there

I have posted several times asking just what our goalie coaches have been doing for YEARS 

When Rhodes left 3 years ago I’d say Dawson and Wildsmith were good young prospects but since then not only have they not progressed they’ve actually gone backwards quite alarmingly and I agree coaching (Weaver) must take some of the blame when the same faults are being replicated time and again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Time is now running out to get someone in and learn what format DM will be looking for from the defence.

If we are going to stick with these two (at first), then DM will have to decide who is no1 and play him for 90 mins in the next two or three games. Its no good flipping between them now for 50mins/games

If I had to choose, (now the shadow of Westwood is no longer around) I would go with Dawson as No1 just for his size and presence in the area and I feel he is the one that could raise his game and iron out his flaws. Hopefully his confidence would then improve and get the backing of the supporters 

NB…A sneaky bid for Scott Carson/LeeGrant can’t  do no harm though  (if the price is right) as I am sure they are more than capable of coping  with this league for a season and lead to a possible coaching position 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hillsborough Park said:

Are we asking too much?

Goalkeeping

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mogbad said:

When Rhodes left 3 years ago I’d say Dawson and Wildsmith were good young prospects but since then not only have they not progressed they’ve actually gone backwards quite alarmingly and I agree coaching (Weaver) must take some of the blame when the same faults are being replicated time and again.

They’ve just played more often..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bolton9owl said:

Maybe the coaches have worked miracles just to get them to this stage,? You make the assumption there is a headway for improvement, it's not a given. Most players don't get exponentially better as they progress, many (maybe most) get worse.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Raminpeace said:

I keep reading on here how you don’t rate your keepers.

you wonder what should be done

i’ve told you how 💩our recruitment is……

The answer should be obvious……

4E7FEF2E-B4BA-44D9-B878-0E1C90DB2531.thumb.png.2428112fb3dc5308eb0f5720e2e345fe.png 

Oh yes please, make it happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rogers said:

Another thread...biggest talking point of the closed season

Erm...3 goalkeepers on the books.  0 recognised strikers on the books.  Best makeshift one injured.  1 week to go until the season starts.  

I know what I'm more worried about.

😥

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Raminpeace said:

I keep reading on here how you don’t rate your keepers.

you wonder what should be done

i’ve told you how 💩our recruitment is……

The answer should be obvious……

4E7FEF2E-B4BA-44D9-B878-0E1C90DB2531.thumb.png.2428112fb3dc5308eb0f5720e2e345fe.png 

When you come to collect him, you'll be needing 10 sticks of dynamite and a dozen wild horses, he'll take some shifting.😂

• Haha 1

Dawson was a good shot stopper when he first came in to the team. Did have very little command of his area and more scared of crosses than Jesus. He has gone backwards with the amount of errors he makes.

Wildsmith I don’t think has gotten worse over the years, just hasn’t improved and when he first came into the team we were a little more forgiving of his shortcomings since he was a young lad and expected him to improve into a good keeper.

I don’t see either of them improving enough to deserve to be first choice for the season.