Jump to content

Matchday prices announced


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, 0wl18 said:

Well it shouldn’t. It should be £10 a ticket everywhere in the ground and, we’ll pack it to the rafters every game.

I’m talking about a one off opening game gesture to get the fans on board from day one. Kick off the season with a smile and a gesture to say sorry and come back to the fold instead of whingeing at us from thousands of miles away.
 

My accountancy training helps inform me that’s it’s a valid one off option.  Much more sensible than a ten year ST that turns into a lifetime one, or an 1867 Club or weeing off box holders.
 

This bloke is in danger of cementing us into a position of Sheffield’s number two club and that is going to take a lot of forgiving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:


Why tho?


Why have any categories at all?


We've all been brainwashed into thinking categories are something football should have but in reality what do we need them for?

 

Just average out the ticket prices over the season that you would have charged using a category system and just put all tickets on sale at that one price (any stand too)

 

Simplify it

No need for it to be complex in the slightest


It should be the same as buying a packet of crisps

Not like this:


"How much are the crisps mate?"

"well where will you be eating them?"

"Eh?"

"Where will you be eating them and how old are you, and have you got a crisps membership card?"


Lots of clubs have categories. I thought the 8 categories were completely absurd the last time.

 

Im comfortable with 3 categories. The bottom category for many of the night games to attract better crowds, the local clubs, makems, Ipswich, etc too category and the rest in the middle. That’s what I’d have done.

 

But back to point, the pricing is fine with me this year. Let’s hope it’s the start of some common sense from the club moving forward. 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Even if offering lower prices to get more fans in worked (it doesn’t, as proved by the special priced days

It worked when they did it on a Saturday. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:


Lots of clubs have categories. 



Again - WHY?

There's no need for them


Saying you're comfortable with 3 categories is strange to me - WHY? What are they for? What advantages do they bring that can't be also had with simplified ticket pricing?


Why not instead say 'we should scrap all categories' and simplify ticket pricing?

Ps I'm not criticising the actual prices here - just the need for ANY categories/memberships

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

It’s the first league home game which fans can attend 

 

The first home game was always going to be category A irrespective of who we were playing

 

The club are trying to maximise revenue

 

Well they are not going the right way about it.

 

I know it's the first home game with fans allowed for well over a year. But many people have got out of the habit of going.

It's summer holidays with a lot more attractions vying for the £ in everyone's pocket.

 

I've no idea how many season ticket holders we will have but I'll have a wild guess at around 12K. If so that leaves around 18K seats for home fans to fill.

 

The first game should be all about enticing non season ticket holders to go,  getting bums on seats and filling the stadium.

 

We'll see how many Donny fans will turn up at £26 a pop. But even if say there are 8K home fans POTD which is being optomistic, I can see there being about 12K empty seats at least.

Edited by Tommy Crawshaw
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rickygoo said:

It worked when they did it on a Saturday. 


Did it?? Did we average more than a cat A game that is like treble the price or more? Did we make more in revenue through increased gates (if there were increased gates).
 

Demand based pricing seems to work, expensive games have the highest crowds, cheaper games have reduced crowds. That only gets amplified I’d imagine with fixed pricing. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

 

Well they are not going the right way about it.

 

I know it's the first home game with fans allowed for well over a year. But many people have got out of the habit of going.

It's summer holidays with a lot more attractions vying for the £ in everyone's pocket.

 

I've no idea how many season ticket holders we will have but I'll have a wild guess at around 12K. If so that leaves around 18K seats for home fans to fill.

 

The first game should be all about enticing non season ticket holders to go,  getting bums on seats and filling the stadium.

 

We'll see how many Donny fans will turn up at £26 a pop. But even if say there are 8K home fans POTD which is being optomistic, I can see there being about 12K empty seats at lesst.




I agree with this

 

The first game should have been a massive huge event and a big deal

 

By pricing it in the most expensive way possible it's got an arrogance to it of past seasons where we just charge the most we can, open the gates and expect everyone to come flooding in


This situation is very different for the reasons you mention


 

  • Like 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, @owlstalk said:



Again - WHY?

There's no need for them


Saying you're comfortable with 3 categories is strange to me - WHY? What are they for? What advantages do they bring that can't be also had with simplified ticket pricing?


Why not instead say 'we should scrap all categories' and simplify ticket pricing?


One advantage is that we historically struggle to get decent crowds at midweek games and therefore a lower priced ticket may mean a better take up. That is one advantage of doing it. The other is increasing revenue. 
 

Going back to the main point - are you happy with the overall pricing structure this season ? Forget 4 categories etc just the broad pricing structure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:



Again - WHY?

There's no need for them


Saying you're comfortable with 3 categories is strange to me - WHY? What are they for? What advantages do they bring that can't be also had with simplified ticket pricing?


Why not instead say 'we should scrap all categories' and simplify ticket pricing?

Ps I'm not criticising the actual prices here - just the need for ANY categories/memberships


If you look at previous seasons Cat A crowds vs Cat D which are higher? 
 

If the answer is Cat A then it works. If they are the same, then it works, only if the variance is so great that we make less money with Cat A being so much lower than Cat D does it not work. 
 

Looking at expensive games of seasons gone by, local derbies, festive season, historical big clubs…. They all have higher attendances than Ipswich or reading. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:


One advantage is that we historically struggle to get decent crowds at midweek games and therefore a lower priced ticket may mean a better take up.  


The categories weren't introduced to allow lower priced tickets


The opposite


They're there and designed to get the most money out of fans humanly possible by creating a ficticious higher priced 'category' and then saying 'yeah this is a category A game this you know so you're gonna have to pay MORE to see it'

 

 

  • Like 2

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:


If you look at previous seasons Cat A crowds vs Cat D which are higher? 
 

If the answer is Cat A then it works.  



Cat A games are against teams that fans want to see most

 

So they hike the prices up on em


No need


Not necessary at all

Nothing at all to do with the category a game is in as to if the categories affect crowds 

What you're saying is 'yeah the Category A playoff semi-final had more of a crowd than Wrexham at home on a rainy Tuesday Category C game so that proves categories work' ??

  • Like 2

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, @owlstalk said:


The categories weren't introduced to allow lower priced tickets


The opposite


They're there and designed to get the most money out of fans humanly possible by creating a ficticious higher priced 'category' and then saying 'yeah this is a category A game this you know so you're gonna have to pay MORE to see it'

 

 


£26 for a category A game on the Kop is fine in my opinion. It was £42 the season before last. That is a 38% reduction. Admittedly, the previous years pricing was a joke. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, @owlstalk said:



Cat A games are against teams that fans want to see most

 

So they hike the prices up on em


No need


Not necessary at all


But there is a need to generate revenue. Otherwise we don’t pay our bills and we make huge losses. Granted we haven’t done great at making losses or paying bills in last few seasons, but these would be amplified if we didn’t maximise revenue from higher demand games. 
 

We need to generate more and spend less. Whilst I’m sure we can be more creative with other revenue streams, scrapping categories seems an odd way of becoming more sustainable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Im comfortable with 3 categories. The bottom category for many of the night games to attract better crowds, the local clubs, makems, Ipswich

 

Really, what makes the likes of Ipswich such a top attraction that's going to make POTG'ers clamour to see and pay top dollar.

 

Have I missed them signing Messi over the Summer?

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bouncing Owl said:


£26 for a category A game on the Kop is fine in my opinion. It was £42 the season before last. That is a 38% reduction. Admittedly, the previous years pricing was a joke. 



Pricing is one thing

The need for a 'category' is another

 

What you should be saying is £26 for the kop is fine!

Not '£26 for a category a game is fine'

There's NO need for ANY categories EVER

(in my opinion)

  • Like 2

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

 

Really, what makes the likes of Ipswich such a top attraction that's going to make POTG'ers clamour to see and pay top dollar.

 

Have I missed them signing Messi over the Summer?

 

 

 

 


Ipswich is a massive game for us next season. They will probably be favourites for the title and this is where we are as a club. Im really happy paying my £26 for a category A ticket on the kop for this one. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:


But there is a need to generate revenue. 


So:

 

Work out what the average ticket price would be if you used 'categories'

Let's say it averaged out at £27

You'd then say 'this season it's £27 for any/all home games at SWFC and in any stand'

Guarantee you'd sell more tickets over the season purely due to simplified ticketing prices

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

 


Owlstalk Shop

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...