Strikers

Who is 'realistically' available and would you take them? 

The thinking being we need a unit to nod it on, chest it down, hold it up and lay it off to the quicker lads we've signed buzzing around him. We have Paterson but I don't think he's that player, I'm puzzled as to how he got nine goals last season. 

Connor Wickham - Free Agent

Surprised he's still only 28 - made his money and depending on who else is interested could perhaps be convinced due to his history with us and in law connections. Injury record V worrying though. 

Borja Baston - 28 Free Agent

Not sure how it works atm with oversees players but he played in English football for a few years. Was in La Liga 2 last season. Bit of a unit and much better technically than our only option there atm. 

Hal Robson Kanu - 32 - Free Agent

Injuries? Champ offers? Too old? 

Yaya Sanogo - 22 - Free agent

We were linked with him in Jan but he ended up at udders, not sure he pulled up any trees but did he play that much. Would fit Moore's younger outlook. Might have champ offers. 

Rudy Gestede

Injuries? Age? Wages? 

Paul Mullins - 26 - free agent

Scored 32 in league Two last season. Surprised he hasn't got a club yet but get the feeling he's just weighing up numerous options. 

Anyone else? 

I imagine we'll sign a couple of highly rated younger players. Id like to see that approach personally. There's a ton of strikers scoring for fun in the Prem teams youth set ups. I think we need to take a punt on some of these or one who did the business in League Two last season and needs a step up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, swfcGibbo said:

I imagine we'll sign a couple of highly rated younger players. Id like to see that approach personally. There's a ton of strikers scoring for fun in the Prem teams youth set ups. I think we need to take a punt on some of these or one who did the business in League Two last season and needs a step up.

But who though? Let's have some names. 

5 minutes ago, BonesyOwl said:

Wow. Dropped down to non league. Interesting what's going on there I guess but still....you'd think most league one sides would have taken him. 

Wrexham and their Hollywood owners are using their name value.....

Jamie Paterson?

6 minutes ago, mdogg20 said:

Wrexham and their Hollywood owners are using their name value.....

Jamie Paterson?

Would probably be decent but not really that target/link man we are and have been missing since Fletch and Adthe left. 

15 minutes ago, BonesyOwl said:

Wow. Dropped down to non league. Interesting what's going on there I guess but still....you'd think most league one sides would have taken him. 

He is from Bootle, his family live in Liverpool and its an hour from Wrexham.

Its like a championship player signing for a league one team but having offers from championship teams but doing yo be closer to home.

I would like us to sign that 6 foot 8 striker Hudlin.  

Definitely worth a punt.  Lots of potential. 

Imagine set pieces with players like Iorfa, Dunkley added with the potential of 6 foot 5 Opoku and Hudlin.  

We would score more than plenty.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Imagine set pieces with players like Iorfa, Dunkley added with the potential of 6 foot 5 Opoku and Hudlin.  

I like the look of him too. Been no more links to him since us and Cardiff were linked in June. I'm guessing he is another weighing up offers and taking his time. Would cost a fee as well which sounds as though it would probably rule us out. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Agreed, but sadly we are not allowed to pay for transfers. And I assume that means we can’t pay Solihull a monthly loan fee instead with view to a permanent deal.

The strikers we sign are so crucial.

When we’ve been promoted from this league before we had MacLean and Madine who scored over 20 goals in those promotion seasons and feels like we’ll need the same this time too 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BonesyOwl said:

Who is 'realistically' available and would you take them? 

The thinking being we need a unit to nod it on, chest it down, hold it up and lay it off to the quicker lads we've signed buzzing around him. We have Paterson but I don't think he's that player, I'm puzzled as to how he got nine goals last season. 

Connor Wickham - Free Agent

Surprised he's still only 28 - made his money and depending on who else is interested could perhaps be convinced due to his history with us and in law connections. Injury record V worrying though. 

Borja Baston - 28 Free Agent

Not sure how it works atm with oversees players but he played in English football for a few years. Was in La Liga 2 last season. Bit of a unit and much better technically than our only option there atm. 

Hal Robson Kanu - 32 - Free Agent

Injuries? Champ offers? Too old? 

Yaya Sanogo - 22 - Free agent

We were linked with him in Jan but he ended up at udders, not sure he pulled up any trees but did he play that much. Would fit Moore's younger outlook. Might have champ offers. 

Rudy Gestede

Injuries? Age? Wages? 

Paul Mullins - 26 - free agent

Scored 32 in league Two last season. Surprised he hasn't got a club yet but get the feeling he's just weighing up numerous options. 

Anyone else? 

yaya sanogo is 28

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Agreed, but sadly we are not allowed to pay for transfers. And I assume that means we can’t pay Solihull a monthly loan fee instead with view to a permanent deal.

The strikers we sign are so crucial.

When we’ve been promoted from this league before we had MacLean and Madine who scored over 20 goals in those promotion seasons and feels like we’ll need the same this time too 

Yes, I had thought that was the case, more hope than anything else.

Troy Parrott in on loan would be perfect imo.  Quality striker.  

28 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Yes, I had thought that was the case, more hope than anything else.

Troy Parrott in on loan would be perfect imo.  Quality striker.  

Yes I think Parrott would be a decent signing too,  only 19 so will get better each year, better than the player Ipswich and millwall had last season - and now a goal scoring international player.  He has very good build up play too.  

• Like 2

We say Paterson isn’t that man but 9 goals in 45 isn’t great but when you think that was in a poor team in a higher division with less attacking threat and intent to what we will have this year 

couple with that he played half of his games in midfield and you can’t rule him out 

we’re looking for a bit of a s£&thouse Patterson is that 

I think he can more than deputise in that role if we have to start the season off with him 

granted we have no depth and you’d rather improve of Patterson than bring in a back up for him 

Patterson had a knack off bullying and getting the ball over the line surely with what we have around him in league one that would be enough 

out it this way as worrying as it might seem if Patterson is our number 9 all season starting every game central in a front three I’d expect him to get 15 goals plus it’s only an improvement of 6 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yes I think Parrott would be a decent signing too,  only 19 so will get better each year, better than the player Ipswich and millwall had last season - and now a goal scoring international player.  He has very good build up play too.  

As he actually done anything in the misters leagues yet? Not having ago it just appears he’s a name people get excited about but fails to deliver George Hirst esq! 

6 minutes ago, fpowl said:

As he actually done anything in the misters leagues yet? Not having ago it just appears he’s a name people get excited about but fails to deliver George Hirst esq! 

Parrott is still young and has only had the experience of last season playing big boys football.  But he’s very highly rated, following a similar career path as Kane and rated the same as he was at the same age. He’s already played and scored twice for Ireland at only 19.

Can’t guarantee anything but I believe for whoever he signs for next season he will start scoring more than he did last season, as he gets older he will get better 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

Parrott is still young and has only had the experience of last season playing big boys football.  But he’s very highly rated, following a similar career path as Kane and rated the same as he was at the same age. He’s already played and scored twice for Ireland at only 19.

Can’t guarantee anything but I believe for whoever he signs for next season he will start scoring more than he did last season, as he gets older he will get better 

Again you could be describing George Hirst there 

young lad done well through international youth  level obviously Hirst isn’t going to break into the English national side there’s a start difference between that and Northern Ireland 

but at senior level has done the square root of f£&k all

I get his young and we’ll thought after but comparing him to Harry Kane because they both play for Tottenham and play centre forward is blind hope at this stage the comparison to George Hirst is the same just at the other end of the spectrum 

my point is Troy Parrot is going to be his own player and as of yet he’s done nothing really senior 2 goals in 32 appearances Patterson got 9 in 43 last year in a higher league 

can we afford to be the team that beds him In to senior football or not in our small squad 

if we had the strike force of 4 years ago maybe but to ask the lad to lead the line? It’s a gamble I think 

personally I’d like more experience in that role or someone who’s already showed the promise to deliver at this level or lower level