Transfer rumours (BIG)

26 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Who remembers us being linked with Les Ferdinand and Lee Bowyer?

Another I think was David Hopkins.  

Bowyer yes for 2m but he chose Leeds. Can't remember us getting linked with Ferdinand. 

Anyone remember us offering 2m for David Beckham after his loan at Preston? 

5 hours ago, Mick70 said:

Spoke to Francis at one of those evenings said he’d asked about shearer and told Dave Richards we’d get success and guaranteed him we’d make lots on him! Also Deane was very close to signing and only Leeds coming in at last min ( his hometown club) stopped it happening! Remember being linked with basil boli the french cb who nutted Stuart Pearce at euro 92 think he was at rangers at the time 

More famous for scoring only goal in Champions League final against AC Milan. 

Season we got linked with Mols and Dani we also got linked with Igor Cvitanović, 2'nd top scorer in history of HNL (Croatian national league). He went to Real Sociedad instead. 

On 23/07/2021 at 23:52, WalthamOwl said:

Not a player but I always remember Walter Smith, Gerard Houllier and Philippe Troussier being heavily linked as potential managers 

Always remember Peter Reid's 'right club, wrong time' comment at one point.  I wonder how many have thought that over the last 25 years...

Ah well, Lincoln have beaten us to the signing of West brom teenage keeper, maybe not end of world but must be better than our 2 failures, depths of despair. 

I vividly remember reading a news article when I was younger (I was at my nan's house, it is a VIVID memory) linking us and Blackburn with two french youngsters. 

Zinedine Zidane and Christophe Dugarry.

Wonder what happened to those two.

3 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

I vividly remember reading a news article when I was younger (I was at my nan's house, it is a VIVID memory) linking us and Blackburn with two french youngsters. 

Zinedine Zidane and Christophe Dugarry.

Wonder what happened to those two.

Screenshot 2021-07-25 at 19.23.22.jpg

It did indeed happen!

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

I seem to remember we were linked with Stuart Pearce in the mid 90's. It was in the Green 'un one summer. One day I remember coming home from school and immediately putting ceefax on to see the headline 'Wednesday sign Pearce'. Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be Andy Pearce..

I think i read somewhere where we were interested in Gary Lineker when he was at Leicester but he went to Everton. Also Neil Webb when he was at Man Utd. 

Wasnt there also a £10m bid for Ross McCormack?

On 24/07/2021 at 00:03, 1867Heaven said:

Houllier has gone on record saying he was going to take the job but Alex Ferguson told him to wait for another English club cus we were already in free fall...

If I remember correctly didn’t Houllier also recommend some unknown manager called Arsenal Wenger who was managing a Japanese club. Not sure what happened to him though…..

On 23/07/2021 at 20:24, Shadowl said:

Hopper, do disappointed it's not.

Is that the nickname of that one-legged striker we handed a 4-year contract to?

On 23/07/2021 at 19:04, g-owls said:

I saw this thread and thought “FFS were not re-signing Jordan Rhodes” 

Could do a job in League 1, especially with the proper service :ph34r:

8 hours ago, HarryJ said:

If I remember correctly didn’t Houllier also recommend some unknown manager called Arsenal Wenger who was managing a Japanese club. Not sure what happened to him though…..

I might be wrong, but didn't he recommend Philippe Troussier ? This would be around 98 and Wenger joined Arsenal in 96.

On 24/07/2021 at 07:49, Andysowls said:

Lombardo would’ve been quality….if you didn’t know his name you’d never guess his nationality😂

Yes, we do have history from picking up good players from Barnsley 😉