Transfer rumours (BIG)

8 hours ago, Rogers said:

I believe so and definitely would have been our biggest signing, he was young and one of the best strikers in Europe. 

He wasn't young at the point we were linked with him though, unless there were two occasions?

It was when he was in his 30s and had just left PSV. Laws was quite open about it, which got my hopes up. 

We ended up with Jeffers instead.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Didn't Pleat try to sign Shevchenko before he went to Milan.

The other one I remember was the Spanish Striker Dani who went to Barcelona.

Fairly sure we could have signed Shevchenko but chose to spend the money on Andy Booth instead 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just read that Lombardo went on to become Palace's player manager for a bit..with Thomas Brolin as his assistant😂, and also stuck with them after being relegated.

Let's be honest, Premier League football in the 90's was brilliant! Great for us like, but Signing a foreign player felt magical! Reaching the Premier League wouldn't ever feel the same again today, so i'm glad I have those memories.

I remember us being linked with Karel Poborsky after his wonder goal at Hillsborough in Euro 96, but he went to Man Ure.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Didn't Pleat try to sign Shevchenko before he went to Milan.

The other one I remember was the Spanish Striker Dani who went to Barcelona.

I think, was a while ago though.

Shevchenko came on trial but was deemed to small so we opted for another striker.

Also had Jaap Stam on trial. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CalmJimmers said:

I forgot about Beckett, great shout!

We also tried for Scott Taylor and Steve Howard which were big news at the time. We did eventually land Howard, but can remember there being pages on here dedicated to him whilst at Luton.

Not month ago Chris Turner wrote on Twitter that we signed Steven MacLean from Rangers after Luton turned down our offer of 500k for Howard.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, malek said:

Not month ago Chris Turner wrote on Twitter that we signed Steven MacLean from Rangers after Luton turned down our offer of 500k for Howard.

Never knew that - I would have taken either at the time. Glad we took Stevie though, thought he could have done it properly in the Championship but was shipped out after getting 12 in a season I think?

47 minutes ago, Rogers said:

He was a steady player for Leeds and palace 

Steady?….that’s got to be up their with the biggest understatements from a Wednesday fan

Remind me again who his play off final wonder goal was against?

2 hours ago, victorturner said:

I definitely recall reading that David Moyes was warned off coming by Alex Ferguson.

Joe Royle & Jim Smith too at one point said that Ferguson had put them off taking the job here too

He really ******** hated us after the Hirst saga didn't he 🤣

2 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

He wasn't young at the point we were linked with him though, unless there were two occasions?

It was when he was in his 30s and had just left PSV. Laws was quite open about it, which got my hopes up. 

We ended up with Jeffers instead.

He was linked with us all summer and then went to Newcastle

Remember during the start of 1999 when we were awful the Sunday back page headline was “Sheffield Glennsday” and it said Glenn Hoddle was lined up to replace Danny Wilson as boss.  Instead he went to fellow strugglers Southampton and took them to midtable that season, then he got taken by Spurs.  Us on the other hand…. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ian said:

Steady?….that’s got to be up their with the biggest understatements from a Wednesday fan

Remind me again who his play off final wonder goal was against?

Biggest understatement? He played for Palace, Leeds, and Bradford and scored a goal in a championship play off final. 

He’s hardly Frank Lampard.