Players who had Testemonial Matches?

Guest OwlPastie

26 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

Just checked. We played Burnley on 4th round day 1975 (lost 1-3). Morton was in April. Won 2-0. Still rare chances to see goals. 

Can't remember the Burnley one, were we at home (if so I was probably there)? Was definitely at the Morton one (they didn't bring many!),

40 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The Morton one one was played on FA Cup 4th round day. We were out. Provided Owls fans with a rare chance of seeing some goals in that long barren period of early 1975.

I learned recently that it was quite common to play friendlies that weekend. Our porcine neighbours played West Brom and others in the 70s.

The way things are going think you might need to do a new edition of the book shortly!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Can't remember the Burnley one, were we at home (if so I was probably there)? Was definitely at the Morton one (they didn't bring many!),

Yes Burnley brought some fans who were on the South Stand side of the Lepps, think that was the last season Martin Dobson played for Burnley before joining Everton.

14 hours ago, heard that pardon said:

Remember the Burnley game they got put out by non league Wimbledon in the 3rd round, was Morton a night match.

Morton was a night match. The week before Brian Joicey scored a late one against Oxford for our first goal in ages.

Brian Joicey had a testimonial also. He was at Barnsley though.

• Thanks 1

I can only remember going to the pig sty in November 1983 for Cec Coldwell's testimonial.

Vaguely recall Howard Wilkinson and Peter Eustace came on as subs for us. Loads of Wednesday in their South Stand that night.

Both us and United were promoted that season.

On 23/07/2021 at 15:11, Screen Door Slams said:

Remember a bizarre one in the late 70,s for Neil O,Donnell who had only played for us for a couple of years, and had played the majority of his career for Gillingham.

It was a miserable wet evening at Hillsborough , about 5,000 in attendance (as an eternally optimistic teenager i was there) , we played Norwich and , get this for a testimonial , the score was    0 - 0   :biggrin:

I went to that one as well. Still got the programme somewhere.

On 24/07/2021 at 14:38, DJMortimer said:

I remember the David Hirst one at Hillsborough against a sort of all star team and I think Des Walker actually got a goal in that one.

I seem to rember him going forward and being allowed to score but him missing? I might be wrong though. I remember Shearer pulling out of a 50/50 with Nigel Pearson. It wasn't a friendly to him. 

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I vaguely remember us playing at a game at Bramall Lane v Sheffield United for Derek Dooley and Chris Woods came on a sub up front for Wednesday.

For the life of me I don't remember the score.

We won 1-0 with a late goal from David Hirst who had just come on with pig fans singing something about him being fat, unfit and never scores. 

Hirst just stood in front of Shoreham waving to em. :tango:

• Like 1

On 24/07/2021 at 14:38, DJMortimer said:

I remember the David Hirst one at Hillsborough against a sort of all star team and I think Des Walker actually got a goal in that one.

Think that was the only time I've proper celebrated a goal in a friendly, for the sheer novelty of seeing Des Walker score a goal. He'd come on as a striker and missed a few chances before that. Think the score was something like 7-4. 

iirc a lot of the "all stars" named in the programme didn't show up, like Dalglish, Barnes, Gazza, Beardsley. I remember Shearer playing for a short spell (think he was still playing for Newcastle at the time) and Ian Wright  being a good sport despite Chris Turner performing heroics to stop him scoring, even when Waddle felt sorry for him and gave him a "back pass through ball".  Can't remember who else played for the opponents apart from Chris Kamarra, John Pemberton and Prince Naseem. 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2021 at 14:44, lanzaroteowl said:

Went to Alan Woodward's

'Walking on the Shoreham'

I went to that one - in my brand new Wednesday college style scarf on the Shoreham. Never occurred to me not to wear it.  I think it finished 3-3. 

16 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

I went to that one - in my brand new Wednesday college style scarf on the Shoreham. Never occurred to me not to wear it.  I think it finished 3-3. 

Seem to remember it finishing 3-3

Had my Wednesday shirt on under my jumper. Police were checking the queue so I pretended to be a Blunt. Only to be nearly filled in by other Wednesday fans in the queue 🤣 good job I had the shirt on.