Players who had Testemonial Matches?

Guest OwlPastie

I went to Bob Bolder's testimonial at the Valley. 3-3 draw. Trevor Francis came on as sub and scored a screamer. My judgment might've been clouded but I considered it the best goal I'd ever seen in person until Wallace's goal at Fulham.

As I remember it testimonials  were a traditional way of thanking long serving players in the 1950’s early 1960’s when player wages were capped at £20/ week (Still  probably  twice the average wage back  then). Or in particularly deserving cases like Douglas McMillan who had a partial leg amputation in the Boxing Day coach crash in 1960. He was very young and at the very beginning of his career in football. Probably hadn’t got ne’er the £20/week maximum  wage

Such are the wages of almost all today’s professional players they really shouldn’t need the helping hand of a cash lump sum to set them up in a new career after football. If testimonials are to be awarded by way of a thank you they should only go ahead as a way of channelling cash to local charities.

36 minutes ago, Dronfield Blue said:

Jimmy Mullen 1981?

Jack Charlton played too. He was a bit slow and late with tackles.

You are near enough mate,had a search on t'internet and found this from May 7th 1980.

Screenshot_2021-07-23-18-30-40-442 (362x500).jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OwlPastie said:

Liam Palmer, played for the club for over 10 years so is entitled to a Testemonial. 

How many other players have had one? If so, do you recall any memories of the match? 

I had a testemonial when my son was a baby and kicked me in the knackers. Still moaning about it.

1 minute ago, trumbullowl said:

Prendo had one too.

I remember going to that one, I think it was against Leicester and we won 3-1 or something like that. I could be mistaken being that long back. 

I went to Mel Sterlands at Elland Road, Wednesday won 7-2 and if I'm not mistaken Mel played for both teams during game. 

I remember Gordon Strachan coming on second half and was running about as if it was a cup final. lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

I remember going to that one, I think it was against Leicester and we won 3-1 or something like that. I could be mistaken being that long back. 

I went to Mel Sterlands at Elland Road, Wednesday won 7-2 and if I'm not mistaken Mel played for both teams during game. 

I remember Gordon Strachan coming on second half and was running about as if it was a cup final. lol

I went to the game although I don't remember that scoreline.

I remember Vinnie Jones then captain of the blades played for Leeds having a laugh with the Wednesday fans and a certain Tony Currie playing for the mighty Owls. I am told Currie thinks of it quite understandably as the highlight of his career lol

• Like 1

i went to the lane 68ish to see one ,may have been for hodgy  and think it was the acid throwing match ......also seem to recall gerry young having one against the blunts  a few days after the the man city relegation game that wasnt the  best of times for him to have one . 

7 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am not against Liam Palmer having a testimonial as long as all the money made goes to local charities.

Think Niall Quinn did something like that a while ago at Sunderland.

I remember going to Mark Smiths, Lawrie Maddens and Nigel Worthington.
Think Mel Sterland had one v Leeds but was played at Elland Road for some reason.

Of course I remember David Hirst getting a testimonial, I declined to attend that one as didn't think it was really in the spirit of testimonials when Hirst was already financially well off.

Well, he’s skint now by all accounts...

7 hours ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Remember a bizarre one in the late 70,s for Neil O,Donnell who had only played for us for a couple of years, and had played the majority of his career for Gillingham.

It was a miserable wet evening at Hillsborough , about 5,000 in attendance (as an eternally optimistic teenager i was there) , we played Norwich and , get this for a testimonial , the score was    0 - 0   :biggrin:

He'd had to retire injured due to back problems which was why he got one. About the same time didn't we play a testimonial game (or maybe it was a pre-season friendly) against Morton? I was at the game but can't remember who or what it was for.

Was at the Alan Woodward one at BDTBL which IIRC ended up a 3-3 draw. Also went to the Eric Taylor one at Hillsborough where an England 11 took us apart 5-0!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

He'd had to retire injured due to back problems which was why he got one. About the same time didn't we play a testimonial game (or maybe it was a pre-season friendly) against Morton? I was at the game but can't remember who or what it was for.

Was at the Alan Woodward one at BDTBL which IIRC ended up a 3-3 draw. Also went to the Eric Taylor one at Hillsborough where an England 11 took us apart 5-0!

We did play Morton think the crowd was 600 or something like that mate, it was a friendly we lost 2-0  if I remember right.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

The Morton one one was played on FA Cup 4th round day. We were out. Provided Owls fans with a rare chance of seeing some goals in that long barren period of early 1975.

I learned recently that it was quite common to play friendlies that weekend. Our porcine neighbours played West Brom and others in the 70s.

3 minutes ago, Bearwood Owl1 said:

The Morton one one was played on FA Cup 4th round day. We were out. Provided Owls fans with a rare chance of seeing some goals in that long barren period of early 1975.

I learned recently that it was quite common to play friendlies that weekend. Our porcine neighbours played West Brom and others in the 70s.

Just checked. We played Burnley on 4th round day 1975 (lost 1-3). Morton was in April. Won 2-0. Still rare chances to see goals.