Players who had Testemonial Matches?

Guest OwlPastie

Guest OwlPastie

Liam Palmer, played for the club for over 10 years so is entitled to a Testemonial. 

How many other players have had one? If so, do you recall any memories of the match? 

I am not against Liam Palmer having a testimonial as long as all the money made goes to local charities.

Think Niall Quinn did something like that a while ago at Sunderland.

I remember going to Mark Smiths, Lawrie Maddens and Nigel Worthington.
Think Mel Sterland had one v Leeds but was played at Elland Road for some reason.

Of course I remember David Hirst getting a testimonial, I declined to attend that one as didn't think it was really in the spirit of testimonials when Hirst was already financially well off.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Testimonials used to be for a payday for a player who'd served us well to give them a big lump sum of cash to retire on back when player wages were the same as the ordinary working bloke

Absolutely this

The  days of testimonials are long gone and rightly so ( unless perhaps your plying your trade in league 2 or the conference)

Players these days are handsomely paid for their “ loyalty” 

• Like 2

I think testimonials should be an opportunity for supporters to show their appreciation to players for their long service.

Its also an oppotunity for players to thank the fans for their support too.

Agree that any money raised should go to charity or back into grass roots football.

Think the last one I went to was Paul Hurst's (Rotherham vs Wednesday)... not even sure why, maybe it was because he's a Wednesdayite

Remember a bizarre one in the late 70,s for Neil O,Donnell who had only played for us for a couple of years, and had played the majority of his career for Gillingham.

It was a miserable wet evening at Hillsborough , about 5,000 in attendance (as an eternally optimistic teenager i was there) , we played Norwich and , get this for a testimonial , the score was    0 - 0   :biggrin:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Wasn't he a Leeds player at the time? 

Yes he was. I actually went to it and stood on the Leeds kop with my Wednesday shirt on. I think it was just after the end of the 1990-91 season and if memory serves we won something like 7-2 and Francis got a hat-trick 

Guest OwlPastie
7 minutes ago, Neal M said:

I’ve had two jobs that lasted longer than 10 years.

Never a sniff of a testimonial.

******** outrage.

Isn't a Testemonial essential just overtime in a normal job? 

18 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

My first Wednesday hero and one of the finest we have ever had.

IMG_20210723_152241 (254x400).jpg

IMG_20210723_152250 (261x400).jpg

I was at that.  Unfortunately the fans let everone down by fighting on the Kop in 2nd half.  Seem to remember Springett ended the game at centre-forward.... just for a laugh.

29 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

I was at that.  Unfortunately the fans let everone down by fighting on the Kop in 2nd half.  Seem to remember Springett ended the game at centre-forward.... just for a laugh.

I've mentioned before but worth repeating, Ron Springett travelled on the same train as us after most home games.and every time was asked for autographs and a chat etc.

He never once refused and was more than happy to oblige, a true gent and a superb keeper.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, REDOWL said:

I've mentioned before but worth repeating, Ron Springett travelled on the same train as us after most home games.and every time was asked for autographs and a chat etc.

He never once refused and was more than happy to oblige, a true gent and a superb keeper.

Graham pugh used to catch the football special bus from Flat St