Strikers

25 minutes ago, Jim said:

I don’t think Moore is looking for strikers per se, more wingers, attacking midfielders? Not expecting us to sign an out and out striker so there will be a meltdown on here.

If he doesn't then he's not the right man for the job. 

Even Stevie Wonder can see we need at least 2 strikers, no matter what formation we play.

• Like 2

Guest OwlPastie
50 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Mullin has just signed for Wrexham on a three year deal.

Must be a fan of Deadpool and It's Always Sunny, literally no other explanation. 

1 hour ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Paul mullin be a good shout 

kieran agard was one a good forward , not sure what’s happened to him of recent years 

could be looking at loans

young strikes like John jules , or adam idah , loans from champ clubs for 3rd choice forwards? 

but sure there are plenty out there Moore is looking at 

Award scored that goal at yoevil away against us didn't he? When it all kicked off?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 0742 said:

If he doesn't then he's not the right man for the job. 

Even Stevie Wonder can see we need at least 2 strikers, no matter what formation we play.

Agree with this. I like Moore but it is blindingly obvious that we need proper strikers, not midfielders or right backs, proper centre forwards who know the role. IMO need at least one experienced striker plus another one or two as back up.

Adedoyin, at a push, might fulfil a back up role as third choice, but not seen enough of him, injured almost all last season and injured again. Although if I were pick a position for him, would be as a wide player in the forward three anyway.

I'm not having the argument that Paterson is a striker, nothing against him but never  whilever I've got a hole in my arse is he a striker, not in a million years. Our stunning free flowing attacking football and bagful's of goals tells it's own story about our goal threat. Managed a goal against Celtic's under 23's, 3 goals against non league outfits but never looked remotely close to scoring against championship opposition. That suggests right now, our attacking threat is non league standard (at best)

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We needed a striker since we released Nuhiu and Fletcher this time last year.

We tried for Zohore on loan, panicked and ended up with Marriott - who was pants.

Windass and Paterson aren’t proper centre forwards. Horribly and disgracefully neglected area of the pitch, which relegated us last season.

Problem is, there isn’t much out there. It’s wide knowledge we can’t pay a fee. So we’re more or less looking at Premier League/Championship loans. Prem loans normally happen towards the end of the window when clubs finalise their 23 man squad. So any movement on strikers I reckon will be late in the window, probably deadline day. Which isn’t ideal.

Don’t really fancy any of the free agents. I’d take Lee Gregory as he can hold the ball up nicely. And maybe Sam Vokes for experience. That’s it though. 

We won't be signing any players just missing out on premiership squads we are no where near that market anymore so the end of the window excuse should not apply.

Any premier league club player will be a youth loan so we should have them in now, not in 5 weeks time when we are sat near the bottom of the table unable to keep clear sheets and not scoring goals.

Maybe fans can pay for a 19 game season ticket, if the club cannot be bother to have a team ready for the full season, why should the fans have to pay for it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, S26 Owl said:

In our current predicament we can't turn our nose up at Connor Wickham. We could do far far worse on a short term deal to test his fitness

Whickham defo worth a shot, 28 so still got a few years in him too. Anyone who turns their nose up at this needs to realise we’re a L1 team with no, yes NO money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Grenoside owl said:

Whickham defo worth a shot, 28 so still got a few years in him too. Anyone who turns their nose up at this needs to realise we’re a L1 team with no, yes NO money.

To be fair I think the fact that we don’t have any money is the reason people are against signing Whickham up. We can’t waste what wage budget we have on someone who is as likely to be on the treatment table as he is the pitch. Sure a ‘pay as you play’ deal would be worth a go, but I’d be amazed if Connor fancies dropping to L1 on that basis. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, S26 Owl said:

In our current predicament we can't turn our nose up at Connor Wickham. We could do far far worse on a short term deal to test his fitness

Christ, if I have to spend the season watching him pant and flob about the pitch looking completely spent, I would scoop my eyeballs out with a rusty spoon.

• Love 1

33 minutes ago, Grenoside owl said:

I would (and I realise were in L1).

He's always been an injury waiting to happen, anyone signing him now without a pre season is lunacy....just a matter of watching him disintegrate like dunking a digestive in a cup of tea as soon as he set foot on a pitch.

Had a couple.of good seasons, got his move and earned enough to see him right. But as far as a football career is concerned, he hasn't really had one. I don't think we owe him anything, whichever league were in based on a decent loan spell several years ago.

Edited by striker

1 hour ago, OwlPastie said:

Must be a fan of Deadpool and It's Always Sunny, literally no other explanation. 

The lad grew up in Liverpool, Wrexham is an hour down the road, yes they are a league below but not for long, with the financial backing thry have.

Its like a championship right back turning down championship offers to sign for a league one team to be nearer to home.😁😁😁😁

Hard hat time but does DM trying and bring in hirst on loan, wont cost too much and playing at a team he still supports and regular first team football could DM develop him into the player we should have done 2 seasons ago.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

To be fair I think the fact that we don’t have any money is the reason people are against signing Whickham up. We can’t waste what wage budget we have on someone who is as likely to be on the treatment table as he is the pitch. Sure a ‘pay as you play’ deal would be worth a go, but I’d be amazed if Connor fancies dropping to L1 on that basis. 

After the last few seasons i think he would do. 

There are not gonna be offers galore for him and he actually wants to play for us !

2 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Hard hat time but does DM trying and bring in hirst on loan, wont cost too much and playing at a team he still supports and regular first team football could DM develop him into the player we should have done 2 seasons ago.

Chansiri would never do it but i actually think in our current circumstances this would be a decent move.

1 minute ago, Dutch McLovin said:

After the last few seasons i think he would do. 

There are not gonna be offers galore for him and he actually wants to play for us !

If he is prepared to sign for a club on a ‘pay as you play’ deal I’d be pretty surprised if he comes here to do it. If he is actually fit enough to play and able to remain injury free I’d expect to see him in the Championship not L1. But I honestly can’t see him remaining injury free for a season ever again. It’s a crying shame because at his best he was terrific in the Championship. 

• Like 1