Alex Scott: Fifa's first female English-speaking commentator

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

I mean, as well as 90% of male

pundits at least.

I am all for bringing back Mr Cholmondley-Warner though.  

In football yes

In Olympic coverage they tend to go for the most well spoken pundits - to appease posh people like this largely I would imagine

17 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

In football yes

In Olympic coverage they tend to go for the most well spoken pundits - to appease posh people like this largely I would imagine

In the Olympics a lot of the sports we are good at are traditionally done by posh people. I know my school certainly didn't have a rowing team.

The pundits they tend to rope in are going to reflect this.

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

In the Olympics a lot of the sports we are good at are traditionally done by posh people. I know my school certainly didn't have a rowing team.

Yeh but they have Gabby Logan leading it, usually likes of Denise Lewis, Paula Radcliffe doing most of punditry. Steve Cram just gets to commentate on the marathon these days. If you aren't well spoken you don't get much of a chance. 

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

The pundits they bring in for rowing, sailing and that nonsense they do on the horses probably will be posh like you say. However for Boxing, Taekwondo and the other martial arts, BMX-ing, and the track and field events it’s going to be completely different.

I agree it is playing to an audience but it’s a shameful reflection on society when people are being criticised for where they come from and how they speak. This guy criticising Alex Scott is an absolute tool, and with him coming from Birmingham he has clearly changed the way he speaks to fit into his nonsense idyllic view of linguistic perfection. He’s a fake.

We should be celebrating the diversity of the country and the fact that people from all backgrounds contribute to sports and commentary. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

The pundits they bring in for rowing, sailing and that nonsense they do on the horses probably will be posh like you say. However for Boxing, Taekwondo and the other martial arts, BMX-ing, and the track and field events it’s going to be completely different.

I agree it is playing to an audience but it’s a shameful reflection on society when people are being criticised for where they come from and how they speak. This guy criticising Alex Scott is an absolute tool, and with him coming from Birmingham he has clearly changed the way he speaks to fit into his nonsense idyllic view of linguistic perfection. He’s a fake.

We should be celebrating the diversity of the country and the fact that people from all backgrounds contribute to sports and commentary. 

Brilliantly well put

1 hour ago, Raminpeace said:

I don’t like her voice. 
i don’t like Vicky sparks

or that other one.

women’s football is poo

There

said it.

I don't like Derby.

The football club

The place

The people