West Bromwich Albion V Sheffield Wednesday: OMDT

I don’t mind us being crap in pre season but let’s face it, we have been pretty much the worst team in the country results wise since December 2019 so you have to ( sadly ) think that our diabolical form for 18 months is still continuing.

15 hours ago, BIG D said:

Ah that’s why you’re following and contributing to a thread for a pre-season friendly 

yeah, I logged in for a glance at what was happening,  I had no idea we was actually playing so thought I'd check on the scoreline at least,  no surprises though to be fair

13 hours ago, Shetland Owl said:

Unless we sign a couple of strikers and a goalkeeper this week we are going to struggle.

Why are we not signing players, is it wage issues, EFL or something else

All of the above.

10 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Firstly courtesy of Clueless we are severely restricted in who we can sign. They have to be free agents (or loan) and also on low(er) wages so basically we are looking at the crumbs at the bottom of the biscuit barrel. The sort of players we would like to sign sadly just aren't in our market so we are going to have to hope that we either unearth a couple of hidden gems or we sign a free agent who just happens to be the right fit and has a purple patch with us.

Secondly we are no the only club looking for players, so all players will be weighing up their options before signing for anyone in the hope of getting better offers, they aren't going to jump at our offer just because we are Wednesday.

Thirdly, I think many of us are assuming that there has been no reputational damage to our stature as a club courtesy of Clueless failing to pay the players on a repeated basis last season. Courtesy of this I suspect there will be many players who if we come in with an offer are saying to their agents find me someone else because they don't pay on time. As a result I'm not expecting us to sign anyone who is (at first glance) significant at all. Whether  or not DM can find a way to mould a team out of essentially second raters and rejects is anyone's guess.

Finally I sincerely hope that the fans fully understand exactly where and with who the blame for all our problems lie and it is not with the manager. I just hope they have the time and patience with him to allow him to do his job but given the sort of comments we are already seeing in this and other threads I sadly doubt it.

Very well put @Utah Owl , also 1 transfer window is not going to put us right, imo DM can keep us in this division giving himself chance to build something over time as long as the fans don't lose patience, knowing we aren't a patient lot on here. Hoping in the meantime Chancer does not sabotage us with a points deduction again by doing something else stupid.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

Firstly courtesy of Clueless we are severely restricted in who we can sign. They have to be free agents (or loan) and also on low(er) wages so basically we are looking at the crumbs at the bottom of the biscuit barrel. The sort of players we would like to sign sadly just aren't in our market so we are going to have to hope that we either unearth a couple of hidden gems or we sign a free agent who just happens to be the right fit and has a purple patch with us.

Secondly we are no the only club looking for players, so all players will be weighing up their options before signing for anyone in the hope of getting better offers, they aren't going to jump at our offer just because we are Wednesday.

Thirdly, I think many of us are assuming that there has been no reputational damage to our stature as a club courtesy of Clueless failing to pay the players on a repeated basis last season. Courtesy of this I suspect there will be many players who if we come in with an offer are saying to their agents find me someone else because they don't pay on time. As a result I'm not expecting us to sign anyone who is (at first glance) significant at all. Whether  or not DM can find a way to mould a team out of essentially second raters and rejects is anyone's guess.

Finally I sincerely hope that the fans fully understand exactly where and with who the blame for all our problems lie and it is not with the manager. I just hope they have the time and patience with him to allow him to do his job but given the sort of comments we are already seeing in this and other threads I sadly doubt it.

That’s cheered me up 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Great post.

I'm not doubting the above, as I've been led to believe the same. Has it been reported anywhere, though?

Believe so, think the original source for this was either Joe Crann or Doom. Certainly seems to be the perceived wisdom on here.

• Thanks 1