Sky sports news - Barry Bannan on his way for £1 Million

4 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

Even if there is a £1m release clause, Bannan still did us a favour signing that deal.

Had he not he’d have walked in the Summer for free like so many have under Chansiri.

Although I think he’s undervalued at £1m, it’s better than getting nothing.

Exactly,  we stopped him joining a team that got promoted to the premier league, but rather than chucking his toys out he signed a new contract when he didn't have to, purely so we could get a fee.

Let's face it , the club could not reasonably expect Bannan to stay with us in League One. 

I think a deal will get done with someone, and I don't think Barry will be the last of our under contract players to go either. 

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Why would that be a surprise?

Paterson is on more than 15k.

Which, along with having a nominal £500k value and him wanting out for non payment of wages are the reasons (other than not fitting into the team style) are the reasons I suspect that we want rid of him. To fund other new players

Come on people, it'd be a footballing and financial miracle if Bannan stayed with us in League 1.

He's signed a new deal in full knowledge we may have been relegated and knowing all the detail of our financial mess.

If a team like Brentford feel they can use Bannan in their squad and it gives us a significant boost in money available to spend we really shouldn't be surprised if he leaves. 

He's given us a superb contribution over the past 5 years and he's been incredibly loyal given how badly the club has been managed when it comes to trying to make it to the PL... if he stays, fantastic - we'll have probably the best player in the division by some distance - but whatever we get for him now is a real bonus.

Come on use a bit of common sense people, I’m not saying he won’t go somewhere, but Brentford?  That team who’s model is unearthing gems buying them relatively cheap, developing them then selling for a profit. You know the team everybody on here holds up as a model we should follow.  Would they really be looking at a 30 something wanting a last payday? 

Just now, kirksandallowl said:

Come on use a bit of common sense people, I’m not saying he won’t go somewhere, but Brentford?  That team who’s model is unearthing gems buying them relatively cheap, developing them then selling for a profit. You know the team everybody on here holds up as a model we should follow.  Would they really be looking at a 30 something wanting a last payday? 

Because he’s cheap ? .

I keep reading he did us a favour signing that contract with the £1m release clause in it. In reality, he will probably have taken more than £1m out of the club in wages since he signed the contract. With all other associated costs it would have made more sense to release him on a free. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, vulva said:

I keep reading he did us a favour signing that contract with the £1m release clause in it. In reality, he will probably have taken more than £1m out of the club in wages since he signed the contract. With all other associated costs it would have made more sense to release him on a free. 

He'd have to be on more than £50k per week for that to be the case.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Beachside he plays the type of football they like, has experience, and is really cheap. 

It’s a no risk buy 

27 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Because he’s cheap ? .

4 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Beachside he plays the type of football they like, has experience, and is really cheap. 

It’s a no risk buy 

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t see it. I’m probably wrong but I just don’t think he fits their model. 

9 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

I get what you’re saying, I just don’t see it. I’m probably wrong but I just don’t think he fits their model. 

Different model now they are in the Premier League I would think.

If they want to spend 2m odd on Bannan. it's nothing to them now. 

Question would be if they deem him good enough.

I wouldn’t expect Bannan to be a regular starter at Brentford by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he could prove to be a useful squad player and lend a bit of experience to the younger players.’

For only £1 million, it’s a fairly low risk investment from Brentford’s viewpoint.

I doubt that they’ll want him to take their corners and free kicks though 

9 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Different model now they are in the Premier League I would think.

If they want to spend 2m odd on Bannan. it's nothing to them now. 

Question would be if they deem him good enough.

Their priority will obviously be to stay in the division. Wouldn’t surprise me to see them make a hell of a lot of changes for the cup matches.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, nbupperthongowl said:

Which, along with having a nominal £500k value and him wanting out for non payment of wages are the reasons (other than not fitting into the team style) are the reasons I suspect that we want rid of him. To fund other new players

Paterson never wanted out. And he also is on more than £15k

As Is bannan. 

And bannan release clause is lots above £1m. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, reggae said:

Paterson never wanted out. And he also is on more than £15k

As Is bannan. 

And bannan release clause is lots above £1m. 

HP?