Sky sports news - Barry Bannan on his way for £1 Million

39 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

Based on?

Not disputing it.  Just saying that people are working on assumptions.

No one has a clue how much Bannan is on compared to the rest of our first team players.  Just playing a guessing game.  I prefer to deal in facts.

Its a grim time to be a SWFC fan.  We’re all trying to look for that silver lining in this grey cloud.

Absolutely no point deluding yourselves though.

He’s our best player, one of the few that came out of last season with any credit.  We won’t replace him with better given we surrendered our Championship status.

If we let Bannan go for a £1 million quid fee, we’ve been tucked up.  Good and proper.

Yep £1m sucks but we’ll

see. He is clearly our best and most admired player, captain, committed, chairman loves him, most fans do, already on good money and most likely offered less but still more than we can afford for this league, guaranteed top earner

I like Bannan and would be happy for him to stay. I like watching him play and think he will be great in L1. I don’t really care how much money he’s on in some regards as I’m not the one paying it, but can see why it would be better to get him off the books if it frees up wages for fresh blood. But if that was the plan why did we re-contract him?

Anyway, it’s all just speculation on Sky’s behalf at the moment. If there is a clause in his contract then fair enough I’d expect other clubs to have a sniff. £1million is cheap for a midfield playmaker.

To be honest I’m more worried about our striking options right now. Midfield playmakers are great but no goals will see us up to our necks in the poo very quickly!

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

If we let Bannan go for a £1 million quid fee, we’ve been tucked up.  Good and proper.

Your probably right but it still would be better business than all of the players we’ve let go for absolutely nothing at all! We are the absolute kings of getting tucked up! It’s our specialty.

4 minutes ago, reggae said:

This isn't new news. 

When he signed contract there was an escape clause. 

It's certainly not £1m though 

Clueless still checking the contract to see which year he put the release clause in then!

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, EcclesallOwl said:

What makes selling Bannan for £1m such bad business?

Not having a go, genuinely wondering, is it the price? I.e we should be getting x amount instead?

To get a player as good as him would cost more than a million, to me he is more useful as a player than a million pounds in the bank or buying two or three players which would be a major gamble. 

We have to keep him surely.

• Like 1

When specifically asked if there was a relegation clause his response was...

No.

My goal is to keep the team in the league.

If we are relegated, it will be down to the club to decide on how they are going to deal with things.

I have signed a two-year contract.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/barry-bannan-wednesday-forest-contract-20488848

31 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

When specifically asked if there was a relegation clause his response was...

No.

My goal is to keep the team in the league.

If we are relegated, it will be down to the club to decide on how they are going to deal with things.

I have signed a two-year contract.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/barry-bannan-wednesday-forest-contract-20488848

but there will be a minimum fee release clause as others have said. It has nothing to do with relegation.

One player is not going to drag us into the play offs or automatic. He played a lot last season and we still got relegated, that was because we had a poor team, not really a reflection on him.  I am more concerned about getting 5-6 right players into the right areas of the squad than I am worrying about if we hold on to our prized asset.

8 hours ago, Owl Be Back said:

He'd keep his wages and signing on fee. He'd also be in receipt of a loyalty bonus too which he only loses if he requests a transfer. All Bannan would lose by accepting the new contract would be the wages and any bonuses paid out during the remainder of his contract.

You've just repeated what I said. Well done. 

4 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

How do you know Bannan is our top-earner?

How much more is he earning per annum than our second-highest earner?

Can you link me to the source of your info on our player’s salaries?

Yes you’re right. The player in our squad who has the most premiership appearances, who also signed on a free transfer and is the club captain probably isn’t our highest earner.

I imagine he probably is on about the same wage as Alex hunt.

2 hours ago, reggae said:

Don't understand .

Why on earth would I lie. 

When he signed contract I said same. 

Sorry mate you are way off beam. Clueless is the term I use for our illustrious owner. Think you'll find that puts a somewhat different context on my post!