Andy Carroll, anyone?

I'm in...it may be  shallow but signing Andy Carroll would a damn sight more fun and exciting than any number of lower league players I've never heard of. If ever a club needed a bit of lift, a bit of excitement then surely its 2021 SWFC.

It wont happen. 

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Do 'pay as you play' deals actually exist beyond the confines of Owlstalk?

I'm sure there must have been a few instances, but surely not to the extent that they seem to get suggested on here?

If they do exist in some capacity I imagine they would come with a base salary, with additional payments per game. I’d also imagine that Carroll would want a hefty base salary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Owlstalk in June: OK, so we're all agreed that we need to move away from high wage, ex premier league players with any sort of history of injuries and focus on younger, hungrier players with resale potential. We can't reapeat the same mistakes as the past.

Owlstalk in July: Andy Carroll anyone?

Yes but there's an assumption he'll happily drop from 80k per week to 5k per week... Why wouldn't you. 

42 minutes ago, MallorcaOwl said:

Yes, depending on the condition of his contract, ie low basic salary around £1k a week, play more than 45mins another £1k. then a goal bonus £1k per goal. up to a max of £5k per week. win/win for me

That kind of deal sounds great. I’m sure his agent will be on the phone to DC as we speak after telling his client to sign.

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Right.

But what do you think of Carroll as a prospective signing?

Why not? On the righ deal. Absolute beast. Only problem is that his game  thrives off balls into the box, which with our track record doesn’t bode well. 

Just now, marshy said:

Why not? On the righ deal. Absolute beast. Only problem is that his game  thrives off balls into the box, which with our track record doesn’t bode well. 

Does 'the right deal' exist, though?

Are we in a position to offer something which might tempt Andy Carroll down to League One without bankrupting the club, whilst at the same time protecting ourselves should his injury woes reappear?

I doubt it.

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Do 'pay as you play' deals actually exist beyond the confines of Owlstalk?

I'm sure there must have been a few instances, but surely not to the extent that they seem to get suggested on here?

Apparently he was on a pay as you play deal at Newcastle, so yes they do exist.

1 minute ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Apparently he was on a pay as you play deal at Newcastle, so yes they do exist.

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/02/andy-carroll-pay-deal-at-newcastle-united-made-public-report/

When he arrived in August at St James Park as a free agent, it was widely reported he was on a ‘pay as you play deal’.

At the time though, no figures were given to the one year contract that the striker signed.

Now though on Friday, some figures have been put to that contract.

The Guardian reporting that their information is that Andy Carroll is on a basic of around £20,000 per week.

With then the ‘pay as you play’ part of the deal, seeing the 31 year old receive an extra £75,000 each time he starts a game, plus £35,000 each time he comes off the substitutes bench.

If that's what people mean by 'pay-as-you-play', then it's a misnomer, surely? £20k per week basic salary isn't what I imagine when people use that phrase.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1