SWFC to re-sign Jack Hunt

Guest Kagoshimaowl

15 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

For those saying it’s a no brainier can you explain it please?

When he was here last time everyone slated him

When he left everyone was mocking how bad he was at his new club

So how is he now a no brainier??

Not 'everyone' slated him or mocked him, but putting that to one side...

Signing Hunt would be a 'no brainer' as he's a better player than Palmer and would suit the wing-back position well, if that's how we're going to set up.

We never really replaced him, and instead just turned to his backup. Going into a League One campaign with a better right-back / wingback than we started with in the Championship for the past three seasons makes it a very astute signing as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

10 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

I think Palmer is the better player now. Wouldn't mind it if we were moving Palmer to left back though.

Really?

2 things stand out in my mind - Jack Hunt never stopping running in any game ever and then Palmer jogging back not being @rsed to match his runner against Derby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On the right contract (length wise and money-wise) he would be a very good signing.

He got hammered at the time because we was doing well we were a top 6 team and he was someone who could've been upgraded on to take us the next step, i think we got all too carried away with what we could have been and we underestimated players like him, fact is we never upgraded on Hunt or replaced him.

In league 1? no brainier for me.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Lucas Joao's Tooth said:

On the right contract (length wise and money-wise) he would be a very good signing.

He got hammered at the time because we was doing well we were a top 6 team and he was someone who could've been upgraded on to take us the next step, i think we got all too carried away with what we could have been and we underestimated players like him, fact is we never upgraded on Hunt or replaced him.

In league 1? no brainier for me.

This exactly he was a slightly weak link in a very good team, never replaced him to our detriment. Solid champ player fit and good going forward, ive got  a lot of time for palmer but he's limited in most departments if we are being honest.   

• Like 2

Definitely a yes. There will be those on here who will slate him and say another of the old gaurd returning when will we learn. As said he's a championship standard fullback we only have palmer. 46 games in a season and 3 Cup competitions he will be needed. And as stated we are signing alot of younger players. Having experience mixed in is key. Bannan, Hutchinson, luongo, Patterson. Windass, palmer, and now hunt if he signs will all help the younger players in the squad, however the key position now is keeper got to get that right. 

Guest Jack the Hat
22 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I wasn't a big fan of his when he was here because I didn't think he was good enough in a team pushing for promotion - particularly his distribution. In a way I was right because we fell short. Although he wasn't bad he just wasn't what we need to push on. When we were offered 1.3m for him that was a no brainer, one even DC spotted. We are no longer challenging at the top end of the championship and I feel we need experience in the club. He is / was the last time I saw him league one standard. So to get a player on a free, no doubt on lower wages, after selling him for a fee seems like a drop of good business in a sea of ridiculous decisions.

8 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Really?

2 things stand out in my mind - Jack Hunt never stopping running in any game ever and then Palmer jogging back not being @rsed to match his runner against Derby.

Yeah, watching Palmer at right-back for the past three seasons has really brought into sharp focus how much Hunt brought to our right flank.

He wasn't the perfect player, but he was solid, dependable, and positionally sound. We rarely, if ever, saw the kind of lackadaisical tracking back which has become Palmer's calling card, and although Palmer has improved in recent years, he's still not at the level Hunt was.

Whether Hunt is still at the same level, I'd suggest not. But I'd put money on him still being more positionally and defensively disciplined than Palmer.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Really?

You must have forgotten all the times Hunt lost the ball on the half way line then trying to beat a man with no cover behind him.

Don't get me wrong he wouldn't be a bad signing. But I don't get the notion from some that he is way better than Palmer andautomatically the best full back in league one. His best days are behind him.

• Like 2

Jack Hunt is a very good pro and has played consistently at Championship Level for 6 seasons.

I always liked him. He wasn't perfect but miles better than we have and as a right wing back I think he could be a solid addition.

He brings the level of energy Moore seems to like.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, markg said:

I didn't slate him when he was here. I thought that he was a very steady championship right back.

Agree and let's face reality, we need to steady the ship quickly or face dropping even further.

I like Darren's recruitment ideas of youngsters to develop but need a blend of experience to support and bring them on further.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
23 minutes ago, wednesdaywizard said:

As ever it's a vocal minority who will have been slating him.

We sold him for peanuts.  He didn't want to leave.  For me he was better going forward than he was defensively, he's a provider, but he was by far our best right back defensively as well.

We now have a MUCH MUCH weaker team than we had when he left.

I'm struggling to see how people wouldn't see this as a 'no brainer'.

Eh? Thought we got decent money for him

18 minutes ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Yes that could be another reason pal but even if we don’t sell I don’t think we would be particularly over crowded , just about right 

Maybe Moore has a different take on developing the youngsters and one or two will be loaned out as well....who knows

30 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I never slagged him, as others have said…

Another point, to maybe balance the argument, because you are right, he did have limitations. I think Moore wants rock solid, old fashioned full backs. I don’t think he wants wing backs. He wants solid defenders first, attacking flare second. A traditional back four. This mitigates most of Hunts ‘weaknesses’ given positionally, he was always a good full back, solid in the tackle with ok pace.

I just don't get bringing in somebody who is almost the same age, same stats and probably same wage as the RB we already have.

Stinks of our transfer dealings under Chansiri - probably too much money, not needed and no resale value.

But if Moore wants him then good enough for me.