FM22 - (Pre-Release)

Morepork

Not played a proper save yet nor am I going to. Right now the game has a couple of significant ME issues and some of those are throwing out the stats in the new Data Hub feature. Worst of all having played a handful of matches the game is too easy. Crossing is OP, Heading is OP, Set Pieces are OP. There isn't enough central play and Inside Forwards are broken.

I'm happy to wait until they address these things in a patch.

2 hours ago, Morepork said:

Not played a proper save yet nor am I going to. Right now the game has a couple of significant ME issues and some of those are throwing out the stats in the new Data Hub feature. Worst of all having played a handful of matches the game is too easy. Crossing is OP, Heading is OP, Set Pieces are OP. There isn't enough central play and Inside Forwards are broken.

I'm happy to wait until they address these things in a patch.

I agree with you its too easy.

1st season no signings 115 points in league one with Wednesday, 2nd season 4 free transfers and 4 loans 111 points in Championship.

226 points in 2 seasons!

On 12/11/2021 at 20:02, swfcjack27 said:

Yet to play a competitive game but unbeaten in pre-season including victories over Man City and Chelsea. Set pieces are ridiculously easy to exploit. Big man at the back post, deep cross and it causes chaos every time.

255403028_1104177563695611_2180349467659648407_n.png

I played 4-33 with Kamberi and Sow on the wings and Gregory upfront.

Gregory got 37 league goals for me.

2 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I agree with you its too easy.

1st season no signings 115 points in league one with Wednesday, 2nd season 4 free transfers and 4 loans 111 points in Championship.

226 points in 2 seasons!

Yep, way too easy. It's almost like you can't lose.....

I usually always play with a smaller team and try and get up the leagues for my main save but I just played 7 games with Man Utd to get a feel for the new features. I'm decent with the FM tactics so I made one, not even had to tinker with it. Won every game, Ronaldo scoring 16 goals in 7 games mostly with his head from crosses. I just couldn't play it at the moment, it would feel like a waste of time given the time commitment required to play. 

13 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

I played 4-33 with Kamberi and Sow on the wings and Gregory upfront.

Gregory got 37 league goals for me.

Same for me but with Paterson for Gregory

Gregory couldn't finish his dinner on my game whereas Paterson can't miss, the amount of times Gregory has put wide or over on an open goal is bordering on ridiculous

On 14/11/2021 at 10:24, Gob_Bluth said:

That said I don't feel like I'm complete control of what I'm doing, in regards to transfers etc, guess that will come with familiarity 

What control over transfers do you feel you're lacking at the moment?

I'm playing the game with attributes completely turned off (you can make them invisible in the skin settings) and not using the "Player Search" function at all, placing full trust in scout reports, scouting assignments and players recommended to me. I'm also tinkering with lots of customised views and filters, so rather than searching for players with "Pace -15" or whatever, I'm searching by performance metrics. Stuff like physicals such as height and header won % for defenders, key chances created % and pass completion % for midfielders, xG and shots per 90 mins etc for strikers. Obviously once I've identified the right player I also handle the transfer and contract negotiations as well.

That's probably further than you want to go, seeing as you also said you like how user friendly the game is now, but it's just an example of how much more involved player recruitment can be if that's the type of involvement you're looking for.

I haven't actually started the game properly yet as I'm waiting for an English lower league database below Level 6, but I've spent about 50 hours so far since the Beta released tinkering around and teaching myself how stuff like the scouting systems etc actually work. I've been playing these games on and off for over 20 years and some of this is brand new to me as well.

4 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

What control over transfers do you feel you're lacking at the moment?

I'm playing the game with attributes completely turned off (you can make them invisible in the skin settings) and not using the "Player Search" function at all, placing full trust in scout reports, scouting assignments and players recommended to me. I'm also tinkering with lots of customised views and filters, so rather than searching for players with "Pace -15" or whatever, I'm searching by performance metrics. Stuff like physicals such as height and header won % for defenders, key chances created % and pass completion % for midfielders, xG and shots per 90 mins etc for strikers. Obviously once I've identified the right player I also handle the transfer and contract negotiations as well.

That's probably further than you want to go, seeing as you also said you like how user friendly the game is now, but it's just an example of how much more involved player recruitment can be if that's the type of involvement you're looking for.

I haven't actually started the game properly yet as I'm waiting for an English lower league database below Level 6, but I've spent about 50 hours so far since the Beta released tinkering around and teaching myself how stuff like the scouting systems etc actually work. I've been playing these games on and off for over 20 years and some of this is brand new to me as well.

It's more that it feels like the computer is trying to do everything and there feels like there's an element of disconnectedness from the actual game.  Not just transfers, everything, I wish there was a shut the fizz up and let me learn it mode, maybe there is I just haven't found it yet

"here mate we're best of playing 433, shall we go ahead and do this for you"

"We've scouted this player for you, what you think? Shall the transfers team make a bid"

"Osvaldo Munchausen has been nobbing the secretary, think you should fine him, shall I do that for you boss"

It feels like I've got the Football Manager version of that little tail of a paperclip that used to suggest things in Microsoft Office popping up every week 🙂

I've not really got into a game of FM since they changed it to the 3d match engine, I've bought them (think the last one I had before this was 2019 - gave this a whirl cos it was on gamepass, wouldn't have forked out for it) but haven't really got into it properly since about 2007, the new versions just seem to get more weighted down with boomf every year - the last few times I've played I've had more fun with FM Touch than with the full fat version.

I like the tutorials and tactics creation, but it just feels like I could leave everything to the CPU to decide and it wouldn't really make one difference to the outcome of anything at all. 

I feel the older games were more engaging, in an easy to learn, difficult to master kind of way. I think they've missed a trick getting rid of touch.

I actually feel like it'd be easier to go out, get a UEFA coaching qualification and get an actual job in football than it is to actually put time in and understand FM these days 🤣

Have you had a look at the responsibilities page? You can get quite deep into what the game holds your hand with, or leaves you to do, in there.

Some of the new features, like the scouting meetings, are a bit invasive at first but again you can adjust and set their regularity. 

It is a very customisable experience but I also think it depends on the pace you play the game at. I'm actively trying to slow down how quickly I play FM by learning more about training, tactics, scouting etc. One of the reasons I bounced off the game a few years ago is because I found myself just "Continuing" my way through seasons super quickly and going through the motions..

Going start a proper a proper save in the next few days, had a save with Norwich to test out some of the new features and the match engine. The meetings are going to get very boring very quickly aren't they?

Will be starting with York for the longer term save, aiming to take them as far as I can. Would like to think I could get them at least up to League One. Quite fancy the idea of doing a good number of years at one club. Really try and build the club.

11 hours ago, Skyline said:

Finally got started.

Started with Wednesday.

Does Fisayo come good? I'm getting offers circa £2-3mil for him.

Chansiri accepted a bid of 4.5mil with another 500k in add-ons.

Then have me 120k of it to spend. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Going start a proper a proper save in the next few days, had a save with Norwich to test out some of the new features and the match engine. The meetings are going to get very boring very quickly aren't they?

I started with them weekly.. then fortnightly.. then monthly. I wonder if you can automate them altogether (I'm sure you can but haven't checked).

For anyone interested in lower leagues, it sounds like the first big Level 10 database will be going live later today.

9 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I started with them weekly.. then fortnightly.. then monthly. I wonder if you can automate them altogether (I'm sure you can but haven't checked).

For anyone interested in lower leagues, it sounds like the first big Level 10 database will be going live later today.

Decided to go fortnightly for this save with York to begin with.

They can be useful but it feels like you're in them all the time being told information you don't nessacerily need.

10th in the first season with Bradford PA. Expected to be fighting relegation but was in playoffs until our form dropped for the final 5 to 10 games.

Keeping about 8 players and have an extra 1k per month to spend on wages over last season. So busy summer ahead 

Can't help but feel I'm in something of a false position

image.thumb.png.2cc9bc47d1f896d4eaa575005bf9e55d.png

Really scrapping tooth and nail. Two of my best players (Vanarama National level CB and the league's top scorer with 12 from 11) are both on non-contracts, and I'm already £100 over my wage bill. Reckon it'll all fall apart soon enough. 

Frustratingly inconsistent with York.

Top scorer Clayton Donaldson out for the rest of the season with a hip injury. Kind of relying on the other strikers to cobble together enough while having a fairly solid defence.

Have a feeling it may be a nearly season and build a new team in the summer.

5 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

York were my practice save in the beta. Donaldson was always a bit part for me. The kid Luke Jones is good, as is Hopper in midfield if you’re not already playing either of them. 

Yeah I've got Jones on a contract until the end of 2022/2023. Donaldson had 14 goals in 21 games so he was hard to drop.

Hopper started the season but kind of faded out, Mackenzie Heaney has done well, signed a lad called Melvin Sitti on a free and he's done really well in the middle alongside Akil Wright.

You've got me going with York as well actually. Like them anyway and they're an FM favourite from previous years as well. Going to start a new save. 

My one big complaint from this years game - the region faces are absolutely hideous. I'm loving this years game and not really sure what upgrades I'd actively be looking for in FM23, but a total overhaul of the region face graphics might just do it.