Players we kept too long?

Guest OwlPastie

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Forestieri, Reach, Lees and Bannan. Could have realised £25-£30m for that lot if we’d released at the right times.

Rhodes if we’d let him go to Norwich after his loan there would’ve saved us another few mil on wages.

7 minutes ago, 83owl said:

To make money on players you have to find a buyer.
Nobody would have ever bought Abdi or Jones from us. Lees was given a huge 5 year deal on big money which priced him out of a move. Teams may have looked at Westwood early doors but certainly nobody would be interested in him over his last few years with us.

We rejected bids for Dave Jones. And FF and Westwood. We could have sold Lees and Reach a few years back when there stock was high, I’m sure of it. 

And that is kind of the point I’m making. We gave these players ridiculous contracts in the first place.

Edited by SallyCinnamon
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We rejected bids for Dave Jones. And FF and Westwood. We could have sold Lees and Reach a few years back when there stock was high, I’m sure of it. 

And that is kind of the point I’m making. We gave these players ridiculous contracts in the first place.

Who on earth bid actual money for Dave Jones?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OwlPastie said:

There's been so many over the years, who either weren't good enough but stayed, or were very good but we missed opportunities to sell which we'd later regret. 

I'll start us off. 

Mark Beevers. Came onto the scene as a promising academy prospect. Attracted some attention from big clubs but after a couple of decent seasons it just fizzled out. 

Forrestieri 

Should have been sold when he refused to travel to Norwich. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Tony Pulis said:

Reach

Forestieri

Stobbs

This time next season we will be saying Iorfa I think.

Bearing in mind as well that we kept Stobbs until he was 23. Not a slant on the player for his effort but we paid the wages of a player for six years who was clearly never going to be good enough. He is now playing for Grantham Town with Carlton. 

Hirst senior but thats with hindsight, FF soon as hes kicked off he should have gone.

Pudil should never have been signed at the end of his loan, his legs were gone. 

Keeping the likes of Beevers, Wood and Spurr when we had offers on the table. 

The list is endless we have never been good at selling players and having the right replacement lined up, last one i can think of was Dalian Atkinson RIP.