Barnsley vs SWFC - Official Matchday Thread (12pm kick off)

A keeper is number 1 priority 

There would be no chance of a top 6 finish when both of these plums cost us a goal a game

Worst thing Monk did was keep Wildsmith and Dawson, even worse than playing Forestieri at left back down at Luton 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jonnyowl said:

Hutchinson Borner and Dunkley as back and Dawson in goal! We will get nowhere this season with that defence.

Yes, not sure at all why Borner is even in the match squad if he’s on his way out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SwellOwl said:

Would have been great for either Dawson or Wildsmith to claim the no.1 and be the keeper we need.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that will happen. 

Used to think Wildsmith would grow into the No.1 position, looked promising a few years ago, but seems to have gone backwards. And what any manager has ever seen in Dawson is beyond me. Commands nothing at the back and is prone to at least an error a game. 

10 minutes ago, SwellOwl said:

Would have been great for either Dawson or Wildsmith to claim the no.1 and be the keeper we need.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like that will happen. 

They tried and both dropped it

• Haha 3

These are the worst keepers we have had since I have supported the club from the Jackie Charlton era to the present day.  Truly abysmal.

If as a club we are to succeed then they both need moving on.  They both may be lovely fellas but there is no room for sentiment on football.

• Like 2

Just now, Marro said:

These are the worst keepers we have had since I have supported the club from the Jackie Charlton era to the present day.  Truly abysmal.

If as a club we are to succeed then they both need moving on.  They both may be lovely fellas but there is no room for sentiment on football.

Worst thing about them is that they both looked really promising in their early appearances, but they've both turned into liabilities. 

Odds of 2 keepers doing that at the same time? Got to look at the coaching side as well. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Worst thing about them is that they both looked really promising in their early appearances, but they've both turned into liabilities. 

Odds of 2 keepers doing that at the same time? Got to look at the coaching side as well. 

In my opinion both Dawson and Wildsmith have had a ‘cushy’ job for a few years now. Never really regarded as serious contenders for Westwood’s number 1 shirt they have sat back and been content to wait until such a time when Westwood got injured etc.

To be fair I blame their lack of progress quite squarely at the feet of Rhodes and Weaver. Just what have they been drilling in to them for the last 2-3 years. They have been lacking all the attributes a good keeper should have, command of his area, the skill to know when to catch or punch the ball and the vision to pick out players who are in good attacking positions linked with the ability, positioning sense and agility to be in the right place at the right time. Sadly the good signs they showed as understudies just hasn’t improved to be considered now as our club’s no.1 shot-stopper.

Sorry but regretfully they are just not good enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Rhodes was a good coach.  I hope the new guy is effective.

We need a central midfielder that is prepared to run beyond the strikers for me. Having Bannan and luongo in midfield won’t help us, they don’t get forward enough. We’ve been that way for ages and we need to change in my opinion.

• Like 1

You can’t blame individual errors on coaching all the time though. Eventually a player has to step up and admit they’re not at the level required. Unfortunately handing them 4 year contracts means they don’t really need to worry about whether they’re at the required level, or not. 

• Like 6