Papa John's Trophy

13 hours ago, morganowl said:

cant see more than 2-3000  attending . id charge £40 only open middle of south stand only 2 turnstiles and lose asp . it would actually cost the club money to host these games , so just cant see any point in charging a very minimal amount , nobody goes and get knocked out will be a result. 

I'd play it at the training ground. We will lose money on every game.

36 minutes ago, Harrysgame said:

I'd play it at the training ground. We will lose money on every game.

i would too but im sure that wont be allowed.  if we price it too cheap and get 3000 it would 100% cost the club money . i go to all league fa cup and league games . but unless it was a day out in york (cant national league north oh dear) there is no way im going to these games 

13 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

You'll love this tournament. The group stage is picked, rather than drawn out of a hat, the U-23 teams will be garbage and many clubs struggle to get more than a 1,000 through the door for the group games.

My lot won it twice when it was a straight knockout and a least with that  there was some jeopardy attached and really good crowds for the Area finals (Huddersfield in particular, I seem to remember, when we won with a golden goal).

Who is "My lot" as a matter of interest?

8 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Is that better or worse?

It does help explain why these sides haven't been to Wembley. I believe the EPL put about a million into the prize pot which is why they are welcomed, plus they play all their matches away meaning that every league side gets two home games in the group stage.

Is it better or worse, depends whether you want to take it seriously and try to get to Wembley, I suppose.

11 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

Note the Prem teams are U21 not U23 sides in this competition, for those who want a pizza of di action.

I think they can play a limited number of overage players though like when we have  first teamers returning from injury / out of favour in our U23 games. 

Conflicted on this as I'm opposed to 'B' teams in the football pyramid like they have in other countries and having U21 teams compete in this tournament seems like a step to try and normalise this practice. However after having to miss so many home games in the last 18 months I'm desperate to get back to Hillsborough and even the embarrassment of a game against an U21 team seems appealing.  Perhaps it will be less so by the time I've seen a few home league games. 

29 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

A truly tragic competition in every way. Teams should be able to opt out of it. 

I'm hoping Moore takes the Megson route in regards to this totally uninspiring competition, start the first teamers he has to, to comply with the rules, then sub them all within 15 - 20 minutes of kickoff. 

The uproar ( but totally within the rules that caused) when Megson did that was f a f. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

I'm hoping Moore takes the Megson route in regards to this totally uninspiring competition, start the first teamers he has to, to comply with the rules, then sub them all within 15 - 20 minutes of kickoff. 

The uproar ( but totally within the rules that caused) when Megson did that was f a f. 

Was about say the same thing, But you're absolutely spot on about complying with EFL Rules Stuff the EFL.. :tango: