Swansea target Barry Bannan…..

If Bannan stays then DM has to make a decision on Hunt. Hunt will never prosper while Bannan’s here. They’re far too similar in stature and style. I don’t want to see Bannan go but I think nearer the close of the window we may have to bite the bullet and let him go?

Bannan is undoubtedly a very good player, and will surely be among the very best in League One.

However, I can't help but wonder if he's a natural fit for the system and style Moore wants us to play. If Moore were drawing up a list of ideal signings for the upcoming season, would Bannan be on the list?

I suspect not, but the conundrum we have is that he's such a good player for the level that we're at, that it seems crazy to let him go for anything less than a king's ransom (potential wage issues aside).

I'm torn on the issue, to be honest: on the one hand, he's one of our best players and I'd be loath to lose him; on the other, we may be able to use any fee to build a more effective overall team in the style our manager wants to play.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Bannan is undoubtedly a very good player, and will surely be among the very best in League One.

However, I can't help but wonder if he's a natural fit for the system and style Moore wants us to play. If Moore were drawing up a list of ideal signings for the upcoming season, would Bannan be on the list?

I suspect not, but the conundrum we have is that he's such a good player for the level that we're at, that it seems crazy to let him go for anything less than a king's ransom (potential wage issues aside).

I'm torn on the issue, to be honest: on the one hand, he's one of our best players and I'd be loath to lose him; on the other, we may be able to use any fee to build a more effective overall team in the style our manager wants to play.

I tend to agree with this.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Funny how many up votes this has. People will miss him when he's gone.

Agree, lets be fair, Bannan is our best player by a country mile. The only reason he should be moving is if it's financially advantageous and Moore sanctions it. 

• Like 1

Sure there is other clubs in the champ interested along with Swansea.

But DC wont sell unless someone offers silly money and  given his wages on top, no club will match it 

Edited by Big Jack

It's ok suggesting selling Bannan (clearly our best player) and replacing him with Hunt to give him a chance...but that depends on what our ambitions are. 

If we really want to get promoted this season, you don't sell your best player and captain to give a kid a chance that may or may not work. 

If we aren't all in on getting promoted, then again, different discussion. 

But losing £8m+ a season by being in L1 tells me promotion might be more important. 

• Like 3

Very difficult decision, we need some players with experience and he offers that. But at the same time it was a surprise when he signed a new contract which really we cannot afford. Like someone else said this may be to make sure we received a good amount if he left. I think he will go to Swansea in part exchange  for the linked midfield player who will be cheaper and perhaps Hunt may stand more chance. We did seem to play better without him but it was a different team. I would prefer Lofra to stay if it was a choice between them. So a swap and £5m would do fine

30 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

141st by what metric?

26 Championship players had more assists than him, but that only tells part of the story, of course.

As we're well aware, the players in front of Bannan were hardly the most clinical, which can be seen by the fact that only 4 players who made more than a dozen appearances made more key passes per game than him, and only two of those were central midfielders.

Read the link I posted .

The metric was for his so called strengths.

To put it in perspective he came behind Kareem Harris.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jim said:

If Bannan stays then DM has to make a decision on Hunt. Hunt will never prosper while Bannan’s here. They’re far too similar in stature and style. I don’t want to see Bannan go but I think nearer the close of the window we may have to bite the bullet and let him go?

Exactly that. Bannan has been brilliant for us and will be a big player to miss, but sooner or later he will stop playing for us and leave a massive void. Can we cope with that better now, while we have several promising young players coming through, and are playing in the pub league, or at some time in the future, when the young uns have all played second fiddle to him and hopefully we are back in the championship?

The more you think about it, the more you wonder if the new contract was just a form of insurance for us, which Bannan bought into. He says his family is settled here now, so he could be here for the duration, but if Moore chooses to play a different style of play and Bannan needs dropping, whatever he is worth now will plummet to zero and we will be paying top wages to a bit part player. I cannot see quite how Bannan fits in with DM's plans really, especially in the long term.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Very difficult decision, we need some players with experience and he offers that. But at the same time it was a surprise when he signed a new contract which really we cannot afford. Like someone else said this may be to make sure we received a good amount if he left. I think he will go to Swansea in part exchange  for the linked midfield player who will be cheaper and perhaps Hunt may stand more chance. We did seem to play better without him but it was a different team. I would prefer Lofra to stay if it was a choice between them. So a swap and £5m would do fine

Yes I think we might be thinking something similar to your part exchange. We could part exchange Bannan for a striker who would otherwise cost us a lot of money. Money which we are not allowed to spend, but surely a swap could be a great deal for us?

17 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Read the link I posted .

The metric was for his so called strengths.

To put it in perspective he came behind Kareem Harris.

The link you posted shows him as 141st for assists, which isn't accurate - only 26 players made more assists than him last season.

And as I said, that only tells part of the story anyway: a player's assists stat is always going to hinge in part on the quality of the players on the end of their passes. A more nuanced look at it shows only 4 players who made more than a dozen appearances made more key passes per game than Bannan, and only two of those were central midfielders.

So by what metric was Bannan the 141st most creative player in the Championship last season?

It's hard to discuss these matters with you if you can't clearly state how you're working this out.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, abdiwonderland said:

If Bannan goes I for one will miss his 3 assists a season and one goal. I will also miss his 32858392 failed Hollywood passes. 

More assists for SWFC than any player we've signed since the 1980s (Hirst and Worthington are the last two with more).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1