Swansea target Barry Bannan…..

For goodness sake sell him. 

According the Alan Biggs in the Star he's on almost £30k a week plus his match bonus. 

That puts him on Premier league wages and makes him the highest paid third division player by a mile. 

He contributes little to the game. He has one good game in around 15 and he's simply not worth that insane wage. 

Incidentally, Wednesday confirmed last season that they've never had a single inquiry for Bannan. 

If he was that good then why no actual interest. 

From Bannans perspective, why should he leave when he's on such easy money. At a normal where players are expected to actually try rather than walk around in a daydream, then he would have to earn his money. 

I can't imagine any club would pay anywhere near the lunatic wages we pay him. 

So why would he want to leave when he can stay here and milk the club?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

According the Alan Biggs in the Star he's on almost £30k a week plus his match bonus. 

That puts him on Premier league wages and makes him the highest paid third division player by a mile. 

He contributes little to the game. He has one good game in around 15 and he's simply not worth that insane wage. 

Incidentally, Wednesday confirmed last season that they've never had a single inquiry for Bannan. 

From Bannans perspective, why should he leave when he's on such easy money. At a normal where players are expected to actually try rather than walk around in a daydream, then he would have to earn his money. 

Or he could have walked on a free like many others?

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, Mike Hunt said:

Where have you got 27k a week from apart from on here ?

I only deal in factamondos

12 minutes ago, Mrmason69 said:

1 good game in 15 

lol

They are all coming out now 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the past whenever we have been struggling other clubs appear to have been able to pick up our players on the cheap. It is possible that Swansea are sounding out Bannan on the basis we let him leave for free to save on wages, much like Borners situation. Brentford may have been thinking along the same line.a;

The offers for Windass also looked opportunistic.

I reckon BB will be a marked man in League One and all the cloggers and hard men will be looking to get their studs into him early doors. This will reduce his effectiveness and impact on the game.

BB is not getting any younger and I reckon we should cash in if a decent offer comes in and whilst he still has a resale value.

Use the cash wisely - get a decent goalie for starters 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

I reckon BB will be a marked man in League One and all the cloggers and hard men will be looking to get their studs into him early doors. This will reduce his effectiveness and impact on the game.

BB is not getting any younger and I reckon we should cash in if a decent offer comes in and whilst he still has a resale value.

I think the situation with Bannan and Windass is similar to what we had in 90/91 with Sheridan and Hirst. They are both good Championship players, like Sheridan and Hirst were good (but not the best) Division One players. Bannan and Windass are clearly a higher standard than League One. So we have the choice to sell and make a bit of money, or try and keep them and bounce back first time. We are not going to replace them with the same quality, so any decision has to be based on either a) a very large bid, or b) our dire financial situation. As far as I'm aware we've not had a) and I'm not sure exactly how bad b) is.

Sheridan and Hirst scored and set up goals at a much higher rate in Division Two that season than they did in Division One, so we should expect see a similar increase in output from Bannan and Windass.

Of course, any decision has risks - they could break a leg and miss most the season in which case we should have sold. But that was the exact same dilemma Big Ron had in 90/91 and he chose to keep them.

25 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

We can't use the cash, we can only sign loans and frees.

Bannan is our best player by a country mile the disrespect is staggering tbh. Absolute joy to watch and yes its incredibly hard in a team of inferior quality at times for him. Id personally keep him unless we get an offer we cant turn down in reflection to his age contract ect.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Probably not true. I think he’s on about £5k personally due to a relegation release clause.

I'd be surprised if its a low as that but agree I don't think he will be on anyway near the 27K quoted.

Don't believe the wage that's being touted for Bannan, that's more likely his old contract, which is believable.

That said, he'll still be on a decent wedge, my best guess somewhere under £20k, reducing further on relegation, as with some others.

Comfortably our highest earner, but also comfortably our best player. 

• Like 1

Everytime we were on sky commentators would say how he's top on the charts for the game and one of the best players in the championship and how every manager would have him in their side. My opinion is that he is comfortably our best player, with a fully fit Iorfa next. Both way too good for 3rd tier football. I can see someone offering around 5mill before season starts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1