Swansea target Barry Bannan…..

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

Nobody touched Harris’ cross for Windass. 
Either way Harris has better chances converted stats than Bannan.

Pearson heads it to Windass - the cross wouldn't have gone within 5 yards of him otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

I get flack on here because certain posters lose their minds if anyone dare criticise Bazza. 

4 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Pearson heads it to Windass - the cross wouldn't have gone within 5 yards of him otherwise.

See what I mean

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

See what I mean

No. You've completely lost your marbles. There's only one person on here inventing assists for Kadeem Harris to try and justify imaginary claims.

I'll leave you in your own world now. My attempt at an intervention has clearly failed.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

No. You've completely lost your marbles. There's only one person on here inventing assists for Kadeem Harris to try and justify imaginary claims.

I'll leave you in your own world now. My attempt at an intervention has clearly failed.

Watch the video on YouTube.

Either way still better stats than Bannan.

Why does it bother you so much?

If Bannan stays, he will be one of the league's best midfielders.

If he goes, then it will help free up the wage bill and bring in some additional funds to help bring in new players with potential.  

As a poster said earlier in the thread, it is a win win situation.  

Only big question is, if a bid does come in, how much are we really looking at?

• Like 2

Whilst Bannan will arguably be the leagues most talented midfielder the real question is will he be the most effective.?

To answer that we’d need to understand the system DM intends to play, the squad available to him and how he’ll look to deploy Bannan. I suspect DM can’t answer that question right at this moment.

Heaven forbid we are considering BB in a deep creative role as that almost certainly guarantees slow transitions. He needs to be advanced to be effective, in a three with someone holding would work, potentially. He can’t function in a midfield pair for me as it would need a quality of player we can’t afford alongside him and would invariably result in BB dropping deeper and deeper.

I still feel he’s a player that ultimately won’t be the best fit for the way DM might prefer to play. Which of course is no reflection on his ability. For me, I’d sell on the proviso the money can be spent elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

I’ve defeated far better than you in debates. Take it as a learning experience.

Yes, it's been like being back at the Oxford Union. Thanks for that.

:duntmatter:

Your post nicely illuminates the issue, though: I was actually trying to have a discussion and understand where you were coming from; you were just trying to 'win' a debate which was only ever happening in your head.

• Haha 5

10 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Owlstalk similar it appears to society in general has became far too binary. It’s either black or it’s white. Instead of looking at the many scenarios in between we all too often defend why it’s black or white. 

Surely it’s entirely possible for Bannan to be an answer to one problem but also a problem in other scenarios. He’s undoubtedly a very good player. Certain aspects of his game at times are sensational. However I’m sure even he would concede he has flaws too? 

I don’t believe he’s as good as many on here think he is. I don’t believe we get value for money, for instance Barnsley had an entire midfield for his reported salary last year and as good as he is, he isn’t good enough to play them on his own.

Contrary I don’t think he’s as bad as a few on here believe either, however I think his detractors maybe guilty of judging him by a higher standard. I know I do. When others make mistakes I expect it, when he does I’m hyper critical as I know how good he can be. 

I think the majority are fairly balanced, but can end up seeming more biased as a result of trying to counter the more extreme views at times.

As I said a few pages back, Bannan is one of our best players, but I'm not convinced he's a perfect fit for the style Moore wants us to play.

If he weren't already here, would he be top of Moore's list of ideal signings? I have my doubts.

But he's probably so much better than what we can hope to attract this summer that it would be a big blow to see him leave.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Owlstalk similar it appears to society in general has became far too binary. It’s either black or it’s white. Instead of looking at the many scenarios in between we all too often defend why it’s black or white. 

Surely it’s entirely possible for Bannan to be an answer to one problem but also a problem in other scenarios. He’s undoubtedly a very good player. Certain aspects of his game at times are sensational. However I’m sure even he would concede he has flaws too? 

I don’t believe he’s as good as many on here think he is. I don’t believe we get value for money, for instance Barnsley had an entire midfield for his reported salary last year and as good as he is, he isn’t good enough to play them on his own.

Contrary I don’t think he’s as bad as a few on here believe either, however I think his detractors maybe guilty of judging him by a higher standard. I know I do. When others make mistakes I expect it, when he does I’m hyper critical as I know how good he can be. 

I think that's a fair post mate

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

But that footystats website is wonderful. I've just learned that it wasn't De Bruyne or Kane who was the top ranked assist player in the Premier League last year, instead it was Cengiz Under.

Screenshot 2021-07-15 at 18.56.08.png

Welcome to money ball...

Why do people keep saying reinvest the money in to the squad? We aren't allowed

I would not be selling unless it's a ridiculous offer. Will be absolutely crucial for us this season with him being one of a handful of senior players. £10m at the very least

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Genuine question: why not?

We can only use it on wages. They'll be very little good professional players available on freebies and loans who want to drop down to L1

People can slate Bannan as much as they want, but at the end of the day he is a very good Championship standard (as proven) midfielder and there is no way we could replace him at the moment

26 minutes ago, smhouston said:

We can only use it on wages. They'll be very little good professional players available on freebies and loans who want to drop down to L1

People can slate Bannan as much as they want, but at the end of the day he is a very good Championship standard (as proven) midfielder and there is no way we could replace him at the moment

Where is this stated.  This maybe right at the minute. but if we were to bring in 8m in transfer revenue then I am sure things would change.

8 minutes ago, bdmfournil said:

why can we only use it on wages and not a transfer fee

7 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Where is this stated.  This maybe right at the minute. but if we were to bring in 8m in transfer revenue then I am sure things would change.

It's been widely reported i.e. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/sheffield-wednesday-transfer-restrictions-recruitment-21012807.amp

I imagine until we get past this period of the EFL having the suspended wage penalty points hanging over our head, that restrictions will remain 

• Thanks 3

Morning Groovers, I haven’t read the whole thread , probably because I am a tad irritated with the “ will they stay or will they go” headlines relating to Windy and Bannan.

I suppose it’s too much to ask to read a statement from them saying “ we were part of the tragic capitulation and dreadful performances of last season that sent us down. We’ve signed contracts for good money and we fully intend to honour them. We hope that puts an end to the current speculation “

If it is their inevitable intention to leave then do it now so that DM can invest and plan .

I like the look of the new boys… I have absolutely no idea how good they are but I am pleased with their birth certificates…. old enough to be effective and not too old to make them cynical.