Swansea target Barry Bannan…..

Let’s suppose those who say that retaining Bannan is essential to our hopes for immediate return to the Championship are correct. I don’t disagree, but ask, “Why do you want an immediate return to the Championship?”

A Bannan guided return to the Championship would see our Glorious Leader tasked to build a Championship competitive team in 2022/23 despite the evidence that he either doesn’t have the resources to do so or doesn’t want to spend them for that purpose.

Meanwhile, Bannan will be entering the last year of his contract, with another candle in his birthday cake. What does Chansiri do then? Offer him a contract extension and build a Championship team around him? Let his contract expire and let him go on a free? Sell him at a reduced fee in the last year of the contract as an aging player?

Even though I think we would be better with him next year than without him, I think it is in the best interest of the club, the supporters and Chansiri to get what we can now, and begin Moore’s rebuild without a legacy player and overpriced contract clogging up the midfield.

• Like 2

Just now, Emilianenko said:

Same number of assists and Barry had far more attempts.

Harris better defensively.

Neither much of a goal threat.

5 is a bigger number than 4, dude.

But either way, assists are too blunt an instrument to judge creativity by, as it relies on other players putting the chances away. And we hardly had the most clinical front line last season, did we?

In terms of chances created per game, there were only 7 players in the division ahead of Bannan last season, whereas there were 142 ahead of Harris.

Are you sure you weren't getting the two confused when you claimed that Bannan was the 141st most creative player in the Championship last season?

:duntmatter:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

5 is a bigger number than 4, dude.

But either way, assists are too blunt an instrument to judge creativity by, as it relies on other players putting the chances away. And we hardly had the most clinical front line last season, did we?

In terms of chances created per game, there were only 7 players in the division ahead of Bannan last season, whereas there were 142 ahead of Harris.

Are you sure you weren't getting the two confused when you claimed that Bannan was the 141st most creative player in the Championship last season?

:duntmatter:

So Bannan created lots of chances but we didn’t score from them.

Maybe the chances he created weren’t that good?

It’s like saying a striker who needs 20 chances to score is better than a striker who nets 1 in 3 chances.

I admire your devotion to Bazza though.

Giving BigD a run for his money.

5 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

So Bannan created lots of chances but we didn’t score from them.

Maybe the chances he created weren’t that good?

It’s like saying a striker who needs 20 chances to score is better than a striker who nets 1 in 3 chances.

I admire your devotion to Bazza though.

Giving BigD a run for his money.

I'm not getting involved in your weird personal back-and-forths with other posters.

I'm just still trying to understand, all these posts later, how you reached the conclusion that Bannan was the 141st most creative player in the Championship last season given that every statistic suggests otherwise.

I doubt we're going to reach a conclusion on that one at this point, though.

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not getting involved in your weird personal back-and-forths with other posters.

I'm just still trying to understand, all these posts later, how you reached the conclusion that Bannan was the 141st most creative player in the Championship last season given that every statistic suggests otherwise.

I doubt we're going to reach a conclusion on that one at this point, though.

Read the link I posted. It clearly states Bazza was the 141st most creative player in the championship last season.

Worse than Kadeem Harris.

Argue with the website not me.

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

Read the link I posted. It clearly states Bazza was the 141st most creative player in the championship last season.

Worse than Kadeem Harris.

Argue with the website not me.

I've read the link and explained several times why it's nonsense.

For a start, the stat you keep quoting appears to be entirely based on the fact that the website shows him 141st in the division for assists, which is wrong. 26 Championship players had more assists than him, not 140.

But then you already know this, as I first pointed it out 7 hours ago, and your only response seems to be to double down on the error.

9 hours ago, Grandad said:

By  country mile our best player - and still you get idiots pulling him down and proving they know absolutely nothing about football.

Embarassing 

Our best player?

Absolutely, but that does not mean that under the right circumstances he should not be sold. The money from the sale would help with the running costs of the club and the money saved on wages should allow us to bring 3 or 4 more players in.

By leaving the club he could do us a far greater service than by staying.

Add to that wrong side of 30, one injury and we could lose him anyway. If another team wants him and is prepared to offer anything like the reported figure then it's in our best interests to sell. Harsh, but that is the reality of our situation.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

For a start, the stat you keep quoting appears to be entirely based on the fact that the website shows him 141st in the division for assists, which is wrong. 26 Championship players had more assists than him, not 140.

But then you already know this, as I first pointed it out 7 hours ago, and your only response seems to be to double down on the error.

The link is not nonsense. 
It works on chances created by chances converted.

A bit like striker stats. 
The ones with the best conversion rate come higher than the ones with the least.

Hence Barry Bannan came 141st because the chances he created weren’t that good.

6 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I wouldn't pay to much attention to the way that site ranks its players. Harvey Elliott has double the assists of Bannan with 12. But is still rated 86th.

The best midfield by a country mile last season, Buendia. who has 3 more assists than anyone else. Is apparently only the 5th best midfielder on the list. 

Bannan that far down the list suits the narrative of he is no good does it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hamakua Pueo said:

Let’s suppose those who say that retaining Bannan is essential to our hopes for immediate return to the Championship are correct. I don’t disagree, but ask, “Why do you want an immediate return to the Championship?”

A Bannan guided return to the Championship would see our Glorious Leader tasked to build a Championship competitive team in 2022/23 despite the evidence that he either doesn’t have the resources to do so or doesn’t want to spend them for that purpose.

Meanwhile, Bannan will be entering the last year of his contract, with another candle in his birthday cake. What does Chansiri do then? Offer him a contract extension and build a Championship team around him? Let his contract expire and let him go on a free? Sell him at a reduced fee in the last year of the contract as an aging player?

Even though I think we would be better with him next year than without him, I think it is in the best interest of the club, the supporters and Chansiri to get what we can now, and begin Moore’s rebuild without a legacy player and overpriced contract clogging up the midfield.

At last, a sensible take on the situation.

Well done sir.

3 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

The ones with the best conversion rate come higher than the ones with the least.

We're just going around in circles here.

If you want to cling to your website that ranks the player who was 26th in the assist rankings and 8th in terms of chances created per game as the 141st creative player in the division, below Kadeem Harris - who provided fewer assists and far fewer key passes per game, of course - then go ahead.

If you really think Harris was a better creative outlet than Bannan, you stick to your guns on this one.

Just don't expect anyone reading it to take you seriously.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

How many websites did you have to troll through to find one that matched your warped agenda ?

4 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

We're just going around in circles here.

If you want to cling to your website that ranks the player who was 26th in the assist rankings and 8th in terms of chances created per game as the 141st creative player in the division, below Kadeem Harris - who provided fewer assists and far fewer key passes per game, of course - then go ahead.

If you really think Harris was a better creative outlet than Bannan, you stick to your guns on this one.

Just don't expect anyone reading it to take you seriously.

Same number of assists.

Bannan had far more game time and took 95% of our set pieces.

Its not that difficult to understand 

6 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

Same number of assists.

Bannan had far more game time and took 95% of our set pieces.

Its not that difficult to understand 

Sorry, I just realised you're the same poster I was trying (and failing) to have a sensible discussion with the other night, who said Bannan won't be one of the best central midfielders in League One and he'd only be among the best in a division were we to be relegated to League Two.

If I'd realised earlier, I could have saved us both a lot of time and energy by not bothering to engage with your b*llshit.

It won't happen again.

• Like 2