Eddie Kilshaw

I see that Man City are about to pay 90 million for a player. Do any of you remember Kilshaw who was the record at the time (26000). What was the date of the game when he broke his leg and never played again. I can still hear the sound of the break I was a lad on the Kop.

15 hours ago, albinks said:

I see that Man City are about to pay 90 million for a player. Do any of you remember Kilshaw who was the record at the time (26000). What was the date of the game when he broke his leg and never played again. I can still hear the sound of the break I was a lad on the Kop.

Before I was born but I do remember my dad saying he was a brilliant player.

Interesting piece on him:

https://www.prescotcablesafc.com/history/long-reads/the-eddie-kilshaw-story/

• Like 2

After the operation, Kilshaw was determined that he would be fit for the start of the 1949/50 season. In July 1949, Wednesday forwarded his contract for the new season. Kilshaw, honourably, returned the forms unsigned with a covering letter saying that since his fitness was still in some doubt it would not be proper for him to draw wages from the club until such time as he was pronounced fit to resume playing. Sheffield Wednesday was a club renowned for it’s fair treatment of players and they responded, saying that they intended to pay him throughout the time he was regaining fitness – even if it took him the whole of the season for his complete recovery. After a lengthy argument, Wednesday manager Eric Taylor finally got Kilshaw to sign the contract.

Wednesday willing to sign a badly injured player and pay him full wages while he attempts to recover - some things never change do they? Although we could only wish that Wednesday were still renowned for fair treatment of players.