Kieran Maguire on how we're run

Just now, Ian said:

Sometimes your desire to defend journalists completely ignores the facts 

Again - you're showing your ignorance

It's not journalism when you're just two blokes chatting on a podcast

Your desire to attack journalists completely ignores basic common sense and makes you look very silly

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Your desire to attack journalists completely ignores basic common sense and makes you look very silly

If you say so

Maguire is wrong. If Sheffield 3 is paying the club £3m for the club each year, and the club is paying Sheffied 3 the same amount in rent each year no money is changing hands. At worst Sheffield 3 is getting the ground for free if one wants to look at it that way. It's all just book entries and no money changes hands.

Where Maguire is wrong is in his assertion that this is why the club can't pay the players wages....

With Chansiri doing this every time an instalment comes into the club, there is no real surprise to hear how the Owls have struggled to pay their players on time this year.

It has no impact. What stops the club from paying wages is that DC has stopped funding the club at a sufficiently high level that will cover the players wages. Why he doesn't fund the club is open to speculation.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Er, that's still journalism.

If you want to listen to his podcast you can scroll past The Guardian Football Weekly, talkSPORT Euro Daily and The Athletic's Totally Football Show with James Richardson to find it.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313
35 minutes ago, Sticky Micky said:

As I stated with the bit you've choose to ignore (classic neil) 

He was punished for not confirming the sale before deadline ,not selling the stadium 

I doubt he came up with the idea.. at the fans forum (December 2018?) the one where he sacked Jos shortly after, he said we were going to miss FFP by miles. But apparently he was selling the stadium to himself in July 2018, hence we’d be well within it.

Basically he was screwed and then caught wind/was advised that Derby were doing this so we copied, and did it retrospectively and then he failed to meet deadlines.

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Maguire is wrong. If Sheffield 3 is paying the club £3m for the club each year, and the club is paying Sheffied 3 the same amount in rent each year no money is changing hands. At worst Sheffield 3 is getting the ground for free if one wants to look at it that way. It's all just book entries and no money changes hands.

Where Maguire is wrong is in his assertion that this is why the club can't pay the players wages....

With Chansiri doing this every time an instalment comes into the club, there is no real surprise to hear how the Owls have struggled to pay their players on time this year.

It has no impact. What stops the club from paying wages is that DC has stopped funding the club at a sufficiently high level that will cover the players wages. Why he doesn't fund the club is open to speculation.

I did think that myself and then presumed I was missing something?

4 minutes ago, prowl said:

Add in the fact that Sheffield 3 is actually paying £7m+ so DC is out of pocket by £4m+  just on the stadium purchase/lease back arrangement. But why would they bother letting facts get in the way. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I doubt he came up with the idea.. at the fans forum (December 2018?) the one where he sacked Jos shortly after, he said we were going to miss FFP by miles. But apparently he was selling the stadium to himself in July 2018, hence we’d be well within it.

Basically he was screwed and then caught wind/was advised that Derby were doing this so we copied, and did it retrospectively and then he failed to meet deadlines.

You do know everything dc said at that forum should be taken with a pinch of salt 

Your probably correct on him not having the original thinking of the selling of the stadium 

Going back to the article itself. This setup is obviously a ******** shambles, but I think "constantly getting money from the club" is overselling it a bit?

The article is written as if to imply he's profiting out of this - but I don't think this is some clever scheme to make money? (Or correct me if I'm wrong)

It was just a desperate scheme to avoid Financial Fair Play that largely failed that means he has to do this sham transfer every year. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh but it has

Over the years we've had some good presenters on Radio Sheffield

This current crop is the absolute WORST

It's car crash standards now

36 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh is this there we start bashing the pundit and getting all paranoid and that?

How exciting

Just saying like. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Okay, if you say so. Seems a strange hill to die on.

Screenshot 2021-07-13 at 13.54.08.png

Again - people showing their absolute ignorance in a clamour to attack a pundit

A podcast is NOT journalism

An article about what someone said on a podcast might be classed as journalism (in it's most basic form) but that doesn't mean the people on the podcast that the article is about is doing journlism

FFS

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

An article about what someone said on a podcast might be classed as journalism (in it's most basic form) but that doesn't mean the people on the podcast that the article is about is doing journlism

FFS

*sigh*

Let's use BBC podcasts for a Venn diagram:

1) Some podcasts clearly aren't journalism (e.g... Dead Ringers, say);

2) some podcasts clearly are journalism (e.g. The Week in Westminster); and

3) some are on the cusp between the two, where you're not sure whether they're primarily trying to be entertaining and/or informative (e.g. In Our TIme)

From the description and what I know of KM's work, it sounds like The Price Of Football's probably between categories 2 and 3, for what it's worth... but Emerson Thome's right - it's a strange hill to die on.

A couple of random links:

https://cherwell.org/2019/06/28/the-rise-of-podcast-journalism/

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-et-podcast-journalism-20180802-story.html

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FFS

I'm neither attacking nor defending Kevin Maguire.

Just pointing out that a podcast is journalism. Not every podcast, not saying My Dad Wrote a muckfilm or Quickly Kevin is journalism. But a podcast hosted by two broadcasters where they talk about topical issues in football finance, clearly is journalism.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1