Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

Just now, i used to be sc_owl said:

You're edging closer to victim blaming with that approach.  It's like saying that a person attacked in the street at random should have been more mindful.  

Rubbish. Its your voice, do you let people put words in your mouth when you are talking? This is a platform for your voice, take care of it

Just now, billyblack said:

Rubbish. Its your voice, do you let people put words in your mouth when you are talking? This is a platform for your voice, take care of it

Ok.

I accuse BillyBlack of trolling in this very thread.

Prove you aren't.

3 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

You are literally arguing for people to have to prove they are not racists, on pain of public humiliation on television.

Im saying are people really hacked for that split second they wrote whatever they wrote... seriously?

Pain of public humiliation.... really! What about the victims.

Dont do it then.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Just now, owlinexile said:

Ok.

I accuse BillyBlack of trolling in this very thread.

Prove you aren't.

Have you heard of the Salem Witch Trials, @billyblack?

I too accuse you of trolling in the thread.  Under your system, it's up to you to prove you aren't.

5 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Because censorship isn’t a good thing.. what’s right and wrong is often different for different people (I know that clear racism or abuse should be wrong for everyone but there are other things where it would be offensive to some people and not others).

On here it goes too far at times. For example, I got banned from posting in the England Vs Italy thread for correctly calling that Southgate’s tactics and team selection would cost us the game. It was just an opinion and not offensive or anything, but Neil is over sensitive and can’t take different opinions very well. I wouldn’t want all social media to be moderated by people like that.

Regarding Owlstalk Neil owns the platform and his decision is final. That’s one of the terms of the platform. If you don’t like it don’t use it or set up your own platform. 

The kind of posting we are are talking about on the large social media platforms are things that would actually get you arrested if you shouted them on the street. Eradicating that from a platform isn’t censorship, it’s enforcement of local laws. If the Sun printed these comments in the Letters from Readers pages they would face prosecution. Social media companies take no responsibility for content and in my view they should. 

• Like 2

Havent read the full thread as im working and on the company laptop at the moment, but could this sort of online behaviour not be negated by way of a language filter? 

I know theres always ways around such things, but sureley its easy enough to block tweets and posts that contain certain racial slurs on these platforms. Just doing something like that would likley remove over half the racist posts out there. thats got to be a start. 

Another option could be to do the above, but in conjunction with different account levels. for example, those who are willing to provide ID etc have an unrestricted account and that account is not subject to language filters due to the accountability the privison of ID brings.  Those who do not wish to verify accounts with ID are still able to post etc, but are subject to the language filters in place, this limiting the abilty to remain annonymous and post hate and abuse.

Must be easiler than collecting and safeguarging millions of ID documents and trying to implement a national law worldwide.  

Agree with OP. This has to stop. Proof of innocence etc has to also be ironed out with the companies for example FB or Twitter in regards to hacking. 

I saw a disgusting tweet aimed at the players that missed the penalty. The Avatar was a white man. It was highlighted by Stan Collymore etc. However, apparently it turned out is was a black man that made a bad racist 'joke' pretending to be a white man. 

We need the ID's to punish these people. How is that a joke? Especially with everything this country has been through the last year.

We HAVE to make this happen and hold people accountable. Why cant twitter automatically delete these tweets and close account right away. Surely they can do that right away without 'intruding' on peoples human rights. (I dont think this is intruding). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Trolling..... make me laugh

Not easy, is it?

Chances are you are just super-authoritarian and haven't thought things through properly.

But based on your own words, the onus should be on you to prove that (somehow).

Just now, SouthernOwl24 said:

Agree with OP. This has to stop. Proof of innocence etc has to also be ironed out with the companies for example FB or Twitter in regards to hacking. 

I saw a disgusting tweet aimed at the players that missed the penalty. The Avatar was a white man. It was highlighted by Stan Collymore etc. However, apparently it turned out is was a black man that made a bad racist 'joke' pretending to be a white man. 

We need the ID's to punish these people. How is that a joke? Especially with everything this country has been through the last year.

We HAVE to make this happen and hold people accountable. Why cant twitter automatically delete these tweets and close account right away. Surely they can do that right away without 'intruding' on peoples human rights. (I dont think this is intruding). 

But why just stop at closing these accounts, why cant they pass the details to the authorities as well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, owlinexile said:

Not easy, is it?

Chances are you are just super-authoritarian and haven't thought things through properly.

But based on your own words, the onus should be on you to prove that (somehow).

Not easy to do what?

I've taken your stance. Im innocent mate. I was hacked.

Chances are you are probably wrong

1 minute ago, OwlinOldham said:

Havent read the full thread as im working and on the company laptop at the moment, but could this sort of online behaviour not be negated by way of a language filter? 

I know theres always ways around such things, but sureley its easy enough to block tweets and posts that contain certain racial slurs on these platforms. Just doing something like that would likley remove over half the racist posts out there. thats got to be a start. 

Another option could be to do the above, but in conjunction with different account levels. for example, those who are willing to provide ID etc have an unrestricted account and that account is not subject to language filters due to the accountability the privison of ID brings.  Those who do not wish to verify accounts with ID are still able to post etc, but are subject to the language filters in place, this limiting the abilty to remain annonymous and post hate and abuse.

Must be easiler than collecting and safeguarging millions of ID documents and trying to implement a national law worldwide.  

There could be much better language filtering for sure. But you can get around that kind of thing. 
On here if I type poo testicles it filters it out. 
But if I change it to shît bôllox it gets through. 
You need technology but you also need people.