Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

I posted a similar thing a few moths back but would go further and have a centrally controlled register for all social media.

As soon as someone breaches a universally agreed acceptable use policy (consistent across all platforms on the register), be this for racism, any other form of hate crime, violence etc, and is banned by that platform, then all the other companies should have to ban their profile, and any future profiles they attempt to set up, as well. Anything at all registered against that ID.

Obviously there'd need to be a robust appeals process to make it fair, but it seems that we have gotten to the point where this is absolutely necessary.

6 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

They already do.. it gets reported to the police, they work out where it’s posted from and can track down who sent it based on IP address. Then they can confiscate your devices for evidence 

How many actually get charged and are the punishments big enough. Doubt it or it wouldnt keep happening.

Put a slot on news at ten every night for 2 mins listing the people charged that day. Soon stop.

How many people have opened a betting account and, happily handed over their ID to do so? No difference. Stop with your poo excuses and stand up for something worth standing up for.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

What if it's on your account and you haven't posted it?

You are literally arguing against the rule of law.

Right, so im sure there will be trends on what people post. Trained people can tell liars a mile away. Like i say, were you just hacked for that sentence and then unhacked straight after... hhhmmm

Just now, billyblack said:

How many actually get charged and are the punishments big enough. Doubt it or it wouldnt keep happening.

Put a slot on news at ten every night for 2 mins listing the people charged that day. Soon stop.

Yeah.

Maybe we could call it something snappy like the 'Two Minute's Hate'.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Personally feel people should boycott social media channels until they hire enough people that can moderate the thing properly

Boycott or ban adverts from social media platforms which aren’t managed properly. I’m sick of the social media companies not taking responsibility for their own. Neil does it on here, why should company making billion of dollars in profits get away with it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Most of them aren’t English though.. it’s mostly Eastern Europe and Asia where a lot of the abuse originates from. So our police can do nothing about it

Just now, LondonOwl313 said:

Most of them aren’t English though.. it’s mostly Eastern Europe and Asia where a lot of the abuse originates from. So our police can do nothing about it

Im not talking about them, lets do the ones based here first. There are plenty. Lets deal on our side of the pond first and sort what we can

23 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Still begs the question as to how secure these peoples identities would be. 

And again. Doesn’t solve the crucial issue that a lot of these social media platforms, and law enforcement, just don’t have the man power to police this & verify everything.

There is a solution that’ll be found. I’m just not sure ID’s are ‘it’.

They’re all multi billion pound companies. They should employ some more people if they don’t have enough man power to prevent their platforms being used for racism. I dare say the accounts of the people that set up these companies are extremely secure 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Don't worry; I'm sure BillyBlack will find us some domestic 'racists' to put in stocks and throw things at on the news without any due process.

1 minute ago, CircleSeven said:

Boycott or ban adverts from social media platforms which aren’t managed properly. I’m sick of the social media companies not taking responsibility for their own. Neil does it on here, why should company making billion of dollars in profits get away with it?

Because censorship isn’t a good thing.. what’s right and wrong is often different for different people (I know that clear racism or abuse should be wrong for everyone but there are other things where it would be offensive to some people and not others).

On here it goes too far at times. For example, I got banned from posting in the England Vs Italy thread for correctly calling that Southgate’s tactics and team selection would cost us the game. It was just an opinion and not offensive or anything, but Neil is over sensitive and can’t take different opinions very well. I wouldn’t want all social media to be moderated by people like that.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, The Wall said:

What if say a disgruntled football club chairmen asked the site to hands over all the IDs of people who'd been slagging him off...

lol

Surely no football club owner would sink so low. 

Oh, hang on. 

14 minutes ago, billyblack said:

If its on your account and you have posted it then you arent innocent are you?

It's not that simple.  The law has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and there are many instances through history of people being convicted for a crime because the evidence seemed so overwhelming, for them to be later exonerated when new evidence came to light.  

Just one example; at uni I had a friend who didn't have a computer or internet access.  This was before smartphones were popular.  He would come round to my room to check his email, Facebook and whatnot.  There were times I forgot to log out, or he forgot to log out.  We could have easily posted things on each others accounts.  Yes, we would be guilty of being careless for leaving our accounts signed in, but would we be guilty of being racist? No.  

Now, your statement is worded in a specific way.  If it's on your account and you have posted it, then you are guilty.  However, the issue is that it can be on your account because it was posted by someone else.  

2 minutes ago, TheSlicer said:

They’re all multi billion pound companies. They should employ some more people if they don’t have enough man power to prevent their platforms being used for racism. I dare say the accounts of the people that set up these companies are extremely secure 

Exactly this. 
Anyone questioning the social media companies ability to fund the resources necessary to better manager their platforms have a quick glance at this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/28/facebook-fb-earnings-q1-2021.html

3 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

Don't worry; I'm sure BillyBlack will find us some domestic 'racists' to put in stocks and throw things at on the news without any due process.

Did i really say that... not sure i did.

Why the 'racists', are they not racists...? 

1 minute ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

It's not that simple.  The law has to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and there are many instances through history of people being convicted for a crime because the evidence seemed so overwhelming, for them to be later exonerated when new evidence came to light.  

Just one example; at uni I had a friend who didn't have a computer or internet access.  This was before smartphones were popular.  He would come round to my room to check his email, Facebook and whatnot.  There were times I forgot to log out, or he forgot to log out.  We could have easily posted things on each others accounts.  Yes, we would be guilty of being careless for leaving our accounts signed in, but would we be guilty of being racist? No.  

Now, your statement is worded in a specific way.  If it's on your account and you have posted it, then you are guilty.  However, the issue is that it can be on your account because it was posted by someone else.  

People would have to be mindful and conscientious of their accounts then wouldnt they. Take some responsibility

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Did i really say that... not sure i did.

Why the 'racists', are they not racists...? 

You are literally arguing for people to have to prove they are not racists, on pain of public humiliation on television.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

People would have to be mindful and conscientious of their accounts then wouldnt they. Take some responsibility

You're edging closer to victim blaming with that approach.  It's like saying that a person attacked in the street at random should have been more mindful.