Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

When you think about the revenue that social media platforms generate it is difficult to conceive how they can’t invest to prevent all this abuse. I don’t claim to be a techy person but how hard is it for some sort of coding to be developed if you put in certain hate words then they just don’t become visible etc

The media and politicians always talk about ‘educating’ people, A bottom up approach is important I think that social media and other related things should be on the school curriculum in some form or another so that future generations learn it isn’t acceptable. 

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned, but it will be hilarious if proof is needed for Owlstalk and it turns out most of the members are the same person lol

Oh sh*tt....

Not thought of that one...

err.....

*starts to delete all other accounts ASAP*

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

People seem to have this impression that it’s people in this country doing the abuse.. the stereotype of the skinhead sat behind a keyboard.

Most of it is carried out by people overseas though where racism isn’t viewed as wrong. Southgate said this himself in the press conference yesterday, that most but not all originated abroad.

Its unenforceable.. you’d end up with U.K. ISPs being told by the government to block the likes of Twitter and Facebook 

So, at least charge the ones in the UK that can be identified. At the moment nothing happens.

Charges need to be much harsher as well.

1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

When you think about the revenue that social media platforms generate it is difficult to conceive how they can’t invest to prevent all this abuse. I don’t claim to be a techy person but how hard is it for some sort of coding to be developed if you put in certain hate words then they just don’t become visible etc 

We have that here on Owlstalk

It reduces 99.9% of the stuff that crackheads and idiots would post

Owlstalk Shop

9 minutes ago, FlyingOwl said:

Still begs the question as to how secure these peoples identities would be. 

And again. Doesn’t solve the crucial issue that a lot of these social media platforms, and law enforcement, just don’t have the man power to police this & verify everything.

There is a solution that’ll be found. I’m just not sure ID’s are ‘it’.

They dont have to police it all. Start charging people who they can identify, not a slap on the wrist either, have a racist register like the sex offenders register, proper punishments, the abuse would soon dwindle, at the minute there are no repercussions.

Guest LondonOwl313
1 minute ago, Sefton owl said:

The media and politicians always talk about ‘educating’ people, A bottom up approach is important I think that social media and other related things should be on the school curriculum in some form or another so that future generations learn it isn’t acceptable. 

They already do have AI doing this.. but I think you have to opt in as a user. Pretty sure that you could block the likes of the N word from appearing in your DMs.

Then there’s emojis.. 🙈 is innocent enough in most contexts but could be used inappropriately. Hard for AI to pick that up

6 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

We have a system of presumed innocence though.  It's not up to a person to prove their innocence.  It's up to the courts to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.  

If its on your account and you have posted it then you arent innocent are you?

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, billyblack said:

So, at least charge the ones in the UK that can be identified. At the moment nothing happens.

Charges need to be much harsher as well.

They already do.. it gets reported to the police, they work out where it’s posted from and can track down who sent it based on IP address. Then they can confiscate your devices for evidence 

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We have that here on Owlstalk

It reduces 99.9% of the stuff that crackheads and idiots would post

Chansiri is the greatest chairman of all time.

Nope, doesn’t work.

18 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Dont care of they claim it has been hacked. Prove it or be found guilty. Was the account just hacked for that 3 mins during a racist rant, dont think so.

Your account, you are responsible for it. End of. 

Jesus Christ.

Let's get rid of the Presumption of Innocence too!

You couldn't make it up....

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

I’m sure we’d see a huge decrease in racist comments if the perpetrators knew there was nowhere to hide. 

Agreed. The reason I’m not 100% that verified ID is the answer is the unintended consequence of making it mandatory on a whole range of people and groups who use social media legitimately and don’t necessarily have access to the means of verification. Refugees, abused women (and others) where others control their ID etc might not pass the barrier to entry on social media so you create a two tier system. 

I am however 100% certain online abuse has to stop. I’m not against verified ID as long as the things that concern me are at least debated so everyone understands the consequences of implementing a policy. This petition is to raise a debate in Parliament. 

My over riding view is the social media companies need to step up and manage their platforms better. Why is there no racist abuse on Owlstalk? Because it isn’t tolerated and Neil stamps it out. If Neil didn’t take responsibility for the platform it would be full of it. So it is possible to manage a platform without verified ID. But, to reiterate, I’m not against Verified ID. I just think it should be debated. 

It raises loads of issues and you can still be nasty to people without breaking the law

also not all the trolls will be in the UK

Personally feel people should boycott social media channels until they hire enough people that can moderate the thing properly

Just now, owlinexile said:

Jesus Christ.

Let's get rid of the Presumption of Innocence too!

You couldn't make it up....

If you have been hacked then it shouldnt be that hard to prove or is every racists defence is their account was hacked?

I posted a similar thing a few moths back but would go further and have a centrally controlled register for all social media.

As soon as someone breaches a universally agreed acceptable use policy (consistent across all platforms on the register), be this for racism, any other form of hate crime, violence etc, and is banned by that platform, then all the other companies should have to ban their profile, and any future profiles they attempt to set up, as well. Anything at all registered against that ID.

Obviously there'd need to be a robust appeals process to make it fair, but it seems that we have gotten to the point where this is absolutely necessary.