Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

I doubt it would stop anything.  

First reason is that people will just claim their account was hacked or someone else was using their phone/laptop etc.

Second reason is that the sort of people that post this **** are generally too stupid to realise what they are doing.  Also, some of them will enter into competition to see who can get the most media mentions which they will then wear as a ****** up badge of honour.  

The punishments for racist behaviour need to be much, much stronger.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Teddy Nickelarse said:

100% agree with the principle but it will mean significant ramping up of regulation of social media platform administration, moderation and ownership. There are valid privacy and especially security of data considerations/concerns.

I think it's time for the social.media platforms to ramp up their administration  and moderation. Its gone on too long with no action being taken, and it's snowballing. Shouldn't be put off any longer IMO.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I've been banging this very drum for the past 5 years! I'm glad the world has finally caught up.

However, very strict governance must in place to ensure that the verified ID is not misused by the social media companies, and that after its use for verification, it is securely deleted. Social media companies abusing this in any way, should be severely punished. So no flipping algorithm usage Twitter and FB, you corrupt two hats!!

Signed.

This is the only worry I'd have with ID requirements and would require strict regulations. That and consequences of someone else accessing your account to cause mischief - Passwords get leaked all the time (so make sure each website has a unique password, otherwise if one site has a leak like adobe did years back, it doesn't allow access to other sites accounts). 

1 minute ago, S36 OWL said:

My view is nothing to do with racism or anything else that happens on social media. Everyone who has an online account is already traceable through the email addresd used to open the account. 

I think you may have just answered my question (above).

I sort of work in this area, although what I do is much more specific than social media as a whole. The problem with emails and IP addresses is that 1. you can have multiple email accounts (I've at least 20, that I mainly use for testing in IT environments) and  2. an IP address can be easily changed by running through a VPN or by using someone else's internet (cafes etc.). By proving the identitiy of an account holder, it is easier to manage the account for the social media companies, and block and ban individuals whose posts are deemed illegal.

As always, it is the tiny (minded) minority spoiling it for the likes of me and you. We've nothing to worry about, like we've nothing to worry about regarding CCTV cameras everywhere.

Done. 

Surprised this isn't a requirement  already TBH. I dont have a problem with ID, but then I'm not an arsehole who abuses people, rarely post on social media anyway, use it for keepong up to date with the news and football. 

Edited by striker

I understand and respect the premise behind it. Obviously I want there to be a way where people can be held more accountable online.

But there’s so many holes in this idea of ID verification. Not everyone has a photo ID. There’s people who hold anonymous accounts not as a means to abuse people, but as a form of escape from their lives & protection of their identities (think people hiding their sexuality from their families, domestic abuse victims etc).

Thags before we get to all the security concerns.

Furthermore. It doesn’t solve the problem that social media companies and law enforcement are too stretched to deal with the problem properly. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pablo Bonvin said:

I think it's time for the social.media platforms to ramp up their administration  and moderation. Its gone on too long with no action being taken, and it's snowballing. Shouldn't be put off any longer IMO.

Yes agreed and if it fits with the battle against racism and other forms of negative prejudices/bigotry so much the better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

I reckon the easiest thing to do is for everyone to just stop worrying about what thick strangers are saying about them on the internet.

It goes beyond that and isn't just a case of ignoring it. I posted this in another thread and I'm pasting it again as I think it is important....

I don't post many personal things on here but this has really got to me over the last couple of days. As I'm sure it has with many.

My niece (8) and nephew (12) are mixed race. Neither have shown much interest in football at all until this tournament, probably because their friends at school are into it, they are playing in the playground pretending to be their favourite England player etc, as we all did.

I was chuffed to bits when I found out that they were both getting into it because I've always believed that sport is great for kids. It can give a focus, help develop bonds and show how people from any background can come together. And my niece has always been more into 'girly' stuff like Disney, dresses and all that so I thought it was great that she could also see that women could get into football. My nephew has always been a bit more academic and shy so getting into football has helped him mix a bitter better with his school pals.

They are the sweetest, most thoughtful kids i've ever met. They never ask for anything. My niece made an England shirt at school, basically just a white tshirt with a red cross painted on  I wanted to encourage their new interest in football so I bought them their first football shirts, the new England kit. One of the main reasons as to why I was glad to do it was that I am really proud of this current team for their off field stuff and the diversity of the team. 

They were over the moon with their kits, the look on their face was brilliant to see. They both wore them throughout the match and before when they had a little kick about in the garden. Fast forward to after the match they are both gutted about the result obviously. But it's another reason as to why sport is great for kids in my opinion. It shows that in life you don't always get the result you want but you have the chance to go again.

Fast forward one day later they are waking up to news that people are being racially abused. It's all over the news and they are asking what it was all about and why is it happening, are they going to be picked on. More so my nephew who is older and see's it more. It was devastating to hear. He has also had nightmares. It just sickens me that it is even a thing in this day and age. 

I had thought of taking them to their first football match when we are back at home. But I don't know if I want to. Not because I think that our fans would racially abuse them. But I hope that the taking of the knee continues. But I do not want to have to explain to them why some fans are booing it.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Grassy knoll said:

Agreed,  I’d also have good quality cctv up everywhere as well , too many crimes go unpunished, I know this is off topic like but I just want people feeling safer . Too many scumbags getting away with crimes and innocent people getting hurt 

Have you ever considered moving to China, or maybe even North Korea?!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I have reported inappropriate content/abuse on multiple social media platforms. Clear black and white stuff. Not really open to interpretation.

There’s been multiple occasions where the social media site have said that their teams are very busy and that an initial investigation showed that the post didn’t break any rules.

ID’s don’t solve THAT problem.

• Like 1

Just now, Owl-about-that-then said:

This is the only worry I'd have with ID requirements and would require strict regulations. That and consequences of someone else accessing your account to cause mischief - Passwords get leaked all the time (so make sure each website has a unique password, otherwise if one site has a leak like adobe did years back, it doesn't allow access to other sites accounts). 

It can be easily negated (the concern regarding stored ID requirements), but this must be monitored by independant authorities on a global scale. The WWW is global and therefore all countries and governments must be singing from the same hymn sheet. This will be a challenge, but not insurmountable. It must be policed correctly and punishments on those companies abusing this information must be swift and severe.

It is up to the individual to secure his or her account accordingly. If they have a weak password, or stupidly share their password, then that is something they will have to deal with should the time come. However abuse of this nature is easily traced and it will be more than obvious to those in the know if an account has been breached. For example, software is already in use by our Government and Police force to recognise the construct and writing styles of individuals. The way I construct my sentences, and write them, will be completely different to everyone else's. It's unique to me, and therefore it applies to me only, like my fingerprint. Therefore it can be proven, with some amount of work involved, to show that either someone hasn't posted through their account, or has.

9 minutes ago, Grassy knoll said:

Agreed,  I’d also have good quality cctv up everywhere as well , too many crimes go unpunished, I know this is off topic like but I just want people feeling safer . Too many scumbags getting away with crimes and innocent people getting hurt 

Christ almighty.

I've got a great idea.  How about two-way televisions so the state can make sure you are behaving yourself in your living room too?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3