Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

I'm with John Barnes on this one... Sort out racism in society and racism in football will dwindle with it.

That's not to say that "Kick It Out", BLM and other campaigns are not welcome or useless (on the contrary, they are very welcome and very useful), but football is one outlet that these racist nutjobs have found useful to their cause both in terms of recruitment and as a medium of expression.

One thing is clear from these latest incidents, though. Racism is still very much in the here and now and whilst we may have come some distance since the 1970s/1980s, there is still a very long way to go.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Signed, but wouldn’t there be a rise in identity fraud? Surely forums for example wouldn’t be able to afford proper security imbedded to stop potential hackers from gaining people’s IDs then selling it on as third party information. 

hopefully all this stops, but easier said than done. Also let’s say frank gets banned couldn’t frank go and get his dads ID and set another account up anyway and do it all over again regardless. 

12 hours ago, Rogers said:

How do you control foreign accounts..the Brighton player was targeted by a guy in Singapore

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/social-media/2021/07/who-behind-online-abuse-black-england-players-and-how-can-we-stop

The majority are from outside the UK, but now the news is off the front pages, the actual facts and stats won't get much reporting, the damage is done.  This is why a UK law won't work, because the www is the World Wide Web.  

A third way may be that social media ID is voluntary, with privacy settings for users to only allow those with ID to post/follow on their timeline.  

• Like 1

On 15/07/2021 at 06:03, Birley Owl 1867 said:

5 people arrested in UK from Sunday.

Just 5.

Are the methods to stopping them useless, or is the problem more of an outside England problem then MSM are having you believe?

I might have missed it, but do we know how many were responsible for the abuse. If it was 5000 then 5 arrests is pitiful, if it was 6 then 5 is a good effort.

All about context 

4 hours ago, Plonk said:

I might have missed it, but do we know how many were responsible for the abuse. If it was 5000 then 5 arrests is pitiful, if it was 6 then 5 is a good effort.

All about context 

WTF

So now we've just got 6 racists in the country with hundreds of accounts each that they're smashing tweets out full time?

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

All about context 

Not only that...

It's amazing how quickly they can find the people responsible for the Matt Hancock whistle-blowing episode and yet they can't even identify a real person against a pseudo-account when it suits.

Not much will be done when the likes of Elon Musk gets away with calling a guy a peado, 

Not racist but the same principle, sadly the authorities play lip service, lest we forget we have a prime minister who in a newspaper article called Burka wearing women letter boxes. 

How can we fight racism when it starts with the PM? 

15 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Not much will be done when the likes of Elon Musk gets away with calling a guy a peado, 

Not racist but the same principle, sadly the authorities play lip service, lest we forget we have a prime minister who in a newspaper article called Burka wearing women letter boxes. 

How can we fight racism when it starts with the PM? 

Is criticising or mocking religion or religious clothing racism?  Are we not allowed to laugh at the clothes worn by others?  This is half the problem with  social media and the response, a kind of purity that doesn't exist in reality is demanded.

If you believe in free speech, then it will usually boil down to something along the lines of "right to create offence".   In the UK, it's legal to create offence (https://uk.news.yahoo.com/people-offend-abuse-another-without-130125114.html).  The case was in response to a person who was misgendered and made a formal complaint.  Yes, a  woman was convicted for repeatedly called the victim 'he/him' online.  The case was successfully appealed, thankfully.  .  

Free speech is not to be confused with "hate speech" though, which is illegal (and probably why racists are being charged as such).  When words are hateful and threatening, then that's criminal.  Mocking clothing isn't threatening.  If it is, then free speech is dead and the world won't be a better place for it. 

By the way, I don't think it's very pleasant what BoJo said, and I think even though it's legal then it's a crass and insensitive thing to say, but by the same token, I think all religions should be able to stand up to mocking and scrutiny.   

Guest hk_owl

The real test of this will be whether a smaller social network such as Owlstalk enforces the need for all users to submit ID.

Another important consideration is the line that is drawn by social media administrators. Obviously comments such as those directed at the England players are unacceptable, however I also consider it unacceptable to make comments suggesting certain people “fizz off back to Thailand” or that an important symbol of the Thai culture which currently sit outside Hillsborough should be “thrown in the river”

21 minutes ago, hk_owl said:

or that an important symbol of the Thai culture which currently sit outside Hillsborough should be “thrown in the river”

Which is why censoring the internet, peoples opinions, thoughts and expressions will never work, not in liberal democracies that have robust and fair justice systems anyway.  

If saying that on a forum leads to a knock on the door from the police and a day before a judge, then it's game over for the internet as we know it. 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 07:40, @owlstalk said:

WTF

So now we've just got 6 racists in the country with hundreds of accounts each that they're smashing tweets out full time?

lol

He never said anything of the thing. Stop trying to race bait neil, it's not a good look!

I can’t see this happening and the problem with people opening new accounts will never go away.

I’ve not read the whole thread, but surely one simple idea could be for IG or Twitter to instantly block any DMs from being sent if it has certain words or emojis in it. The DM can then be checked by their staff later and if it’s deemed to be offensive / racist the account is deleted. There must be some technology in this day and age to do that.