Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

My point is that the ‘it’s mostly coming from abroad’ is fast becoming the excuse for this one 

And it’s catching on

And getting repeated

And the result of that is it will then become ‘fact’

Because and only because it’s being repeated and used as an excuse 

Is it really?

I’ll be honest I saw the Reuters article and I heard what Gareth Southgate said and just raised the issue as it’s a valid point when it comes to policing online hate.

Speaking specifically about the racist abuse aimed at England players Gareth Southgate said….

‘I know a lot of that has come from abroad’

Now I’m pretty certain that he was just making the same point that I was about the difficulties in stopping this, what I’d never accuse him of is using this as an excuse.

• Like 4

Guest LondonOwl313
21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It would be great if people stopped trying to use the ‘it came from abroad’ excuse 

Especially when we have the Andrew Bone / Savills and the Andrew Lawrence examples and arrests being made here in the UK as we speak including a junior football coach 

ffs

I’ve followed Andrew Lawrence for about a year now as saw some of his stuff during the first lockdown. He’s a parody usually and can be quite funny poking fun at political correctness.

When he started tweeting the other day I’ve no doubt he was making fun of it and playing a stereotype, it wasn’t meant to be taken literally. But it was uncomfortable the first time he said it and he then went and double and tripled down.. in the end he wouldn’t stop and had to be removed. Even right wing people like me who appreciate his humour usually think he went too far

2 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’ve followed Andrew Lawrence for about a year now as saw some of his stuff during the first lockdown. He’s a parody usually and can be quite funny poking fun at political correctness.

When he started tweeting the other day I’ve no doubt he was making fun of it and playing a stereotype, it wasn’t meant to be taken literally. But it was uncomfortable the first time he said it and he then went and double and tripled down.. in the end he wouldn’t stop and had to be removed. Even right wing people like me who appreciate his humour usually think he went too far

Aye he imploded his entire career in just two or three tweets

Career over now 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

6 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Is it really?

I’ll be honest I saw the Reuters article and I heard what Gareth Southgate said and just raised the issue as it’s a valid point when it comes to policing online hate.

Speaking specifically about the racist abuse aimed at England players Gareth Southgate said….

‘I know a lot of that has come from abroad’

Now I’m pretty certain that he was just making the same point that I was about the difficulties in stopping this, what I’d never accuse him of is using this as an excuse.

Course not mate and it’s a valid point that he is making 

But it’s been seized, twisted, and held up as an excuse, repeated and being pushed as the only truth 

In the same way that the two being arrested by the cops for their tweets are trying the ‘my Twitter was hacked’ excuse 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

I’ll be honest, I used to find the University lecturer he used to do funny but I couldn’t believe what I was reading when I saw those tweets

Granted, like you I think it was a rather poor attempt at humour but he really misread the public mode in what he was tweeting, I still honestly can’t believe he tweeted that stuff.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Course not mate and it’s a valid point that he is making 

But it’s been seized, twisted, and held up as an excuse, repeated and being pushed as the only truth 

In the same way that the two being arrested by the cops for their tweets are trying the ‘my Twitter was hacked’ excuse 

Yeah that’s fair enough pal, I’m not daft enough to think this ALL came from abroad or that somebody flew in from another country to deface the Marcus Rashford painting in Manchester, I just think it’s a valid point to raise when discussing to what extent will providing ID to big tech companies do to stop this sort of abuse.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

I’ll be honest, I used to find the University lecturer he used to do funny but I couldn’t believe what I was reading when I saw those tweets

Granted, like you I think it was a rather poor attempt at humour but he really misread the public mode in what he was tweeting, I still honestly can’t believe he tweeted that stuff.

And..

Despite all that..

He will still be more popular than Lee Hurst 

Mind you - so would Fred West and Hitler 

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

Yeah that’s fair enough pal, I’m not daft enough to think this ALL came from abroad or that somebody flew in from another country to deface the Marcus Rashford painting in Manchester, I just think it’s a valid point to raise when discussing to what extent will providing ID to big tech companies do to stop this sort of abuse.

Agreed mate - it’s a global thing this online thing 

It’s weird but I reckon it will eventually get sorted out and we will look back on this time as the period we let absolute nutjobs post horrific stuff online and wonder why we didn’t fix it quicker 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Sanjay Bhandari, chair of Kick It Out, the campaign group against racism in football, says that data from the last two seasons of football shows around 70 per cent of abuse originates overseas. “These are not football fans,” he says. “They are people who have never been inside an English football ground.” - The New Statesman.

That's Kick it Out saying most of the racism came from abroad, and that's for previous years.

If Kick it Out are saying it, why can't we?  If someone abuses an English footballer, why should someone from India, Philippines, China etc get a free hit?    Is that an effective way of dealing with racism?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manwë said:

Sanjay Bhandari, chair of Kick It Out, the campaign group against racism in football, says that data from the last two seasons of football shows around 70 per cent of abuse originates overseas. “These are not football fans,” he says. “They are people who have never been inside an English football ground.” - The New Statesman.

That's Kick it Out saying most of the racism came from abroad, and that's for previous years.

If Kick it Out are saying it, why can't we?  If someone abuses an English footballer, why should someone from India, Philippines, China etc get a free hit?    Is that an effective way of dealing with racism?

Nobody's saying to ignore the abuse from abroad mate

It's a fact that there are nobbers all over the world

What I'm saying though is that we're seeing (NOT on here I might add) that racists are seeing people coming up with the 'it's from abroad' line and then pushing it forward as an excuse for saying 'there's no issue with racism in this country' etc

You're forgetting that the one thing that all racists do is deny they're racist, and deny there's a problem with racists. They'll look for any way possible to deflect and deny and to come up with something to take the light off them being sussed out, and onto ANYTHING else.

So yeah - you can say some of it's from abroad - but remember that every time you innocently say that, that you're playing right into our 'home crowd' of racists by providing them with a 'way out'

Owlstalk Shop

You feel like Covid Passports that you will need some sort of ID to open an account on Twitter or Facebook etc.

If the racist posts about the England players doesn't bring this about they is bound to be another incident in a few months again until they eventually do.

Think this will make social media a lot more bland in general but I don't see anyway round it.

Small minority spoiling for the rest again.

The fact that people are being arrested and dealt with shows that more draconian measures may not be needed. As I said earlier we aren’t dealing with IT Masterminds here.

Saw that one is a50 year old bloke. Good grief. 

3 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The fact that people are being arrested and dealt with shows that more draconian measures may not be needed. As I said earlier we aren’t dealing with IT Masterminds here.

Saw that one is a50 year old bloke. Good grief. 

One is a junior football coach too

Owlstalk Shop

21 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Why though?

Literally all it will do is stop people posting hate and illegal stuff?

A lot of people wont want to open a twitter account if have to provide ID.
Too much hassle and many people will have a suspicion that information will be used for something else.
I am personally not against ID being used to open an account but will drastically reduce the amount of people using it.

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

A lot of people wont want to open a twitter account if have to provide ID. 

They provide ID for car insurance, betting sites, getting a passport, opening a bank account, getting house insurance etc 
I think everyone saying people will kick off forget that it's the norm in any other part of life and people are just fine with it

If a small number of people don't want to - fine - see ya

Either way it's problem solved

Owlstalk Shop