Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Dunno

I think racism exists all over the world

We should be careful not to dismiss what our players have faced this weekend as from abroad though 

Absolutely. But I think the point was would us giving our personal details to big tech stop some lunatic in Durban or Alabama ( chosen completely at random obviously) posting this abhorrent poo ?

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Dunno

I think racism exists all over the world

We should be careful not to dismiss what our players have faced this weekend as from abroad though 

I presume he said it to make that point i.e. it's not necessarily an 'England' problem, as it's been presented in the media

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Absolutely. But I think the point was would us giving our personal details to big tech stop some lunatic in Durban or Alabama ( chosen completely at random obviously) posting this abhorrent poo ?

Not if they're posting on a platform where you have to have verified ID to use it surely?

Owlstalk Shop

I get the logic but as mentioned above there are many more things that could be done already if the will really existed, Twitter especially loves to censor replies and accounts over fairly tame debates.

Yet it often seems to not really bother with bots or anything outrageous.

Certainly posting under real names is a definite no. If the details for an account are held I don't see why that'd be needed anyway though. I admire anyone brave enough to post anywhere under their real names but think unless you are very insulated from any comebacks over disagreement it's just too dangerous.

Lawsuits and employment tribunals will be through the roof.

7 minutes ago, The Wall said:

You believe this should be totally unregulated by the government?

The problem when governments step in, is that they are often so far detached from the real world, the decisons that they then make for us in the cheap seats are in no way the right ones. Governement is filled with people who have no clue how the world actually works outside of a well paid cushy bubble. Worse still, theres MPs jumping on the the whole bandwagon with this now,  yet weeks ago they were stoking the flames of discontent with the whole race and BLM thing. Imagine being told what you can and cannot now post by people who cannot even put a pair of matching shoes on, or by a world leader who cant even brush his hair or y someone who thought it would be okay to fake cry on libe TV about the NHS and then go and break all the rules they set up Etc .... Etc..... Governments filled with these idiots. 

This issue with online abuse has to lie with the platform providers to step up, fix and heavily moderate. they have made billions off our data and information and done nothing for it in return. If advertisers suddently started pulling out of agreements becuasse of the issue, you would see how quickly they could fix it and make it all go away.

Big changes are needed but getting the government involved is not a good move, needed or required. 

4 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

This issue with online abuse has to lie with the platform providers to step up, fix and heavily moderate. 

And what if they don't?

What if they're run by people who only care about money and power?

What if they're not bothered about people being exploited and abused?

What if the advertisers aren't bothered either?

Twitter is an absolute sewer, but they're not going bust anytime soon.

Do you think the directors of a big tech company will act more responsibly than a democratically elected government?

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't need your vote in 4 years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

Genuine question. 

If racism has no place in socciety and the police cant or shouldnt fix it, whats the answer?

Time, sadly, in incremental steps towards a better place.

It wasn't too long ago that people would go to "the p*** shop", or "the chin***" for dinner.  It was acceptable/normal language then.  It was even more recently that men with long hair were called "puffs", "gypos", or whatever.  Times change, societies generally improve over time.  Now we have same-sex marriage, no-one but a few bat an eyelid.  Homophobia hasn't gone away, but we have a society that largely accepts same-sex marriage.

We still have racism and it exists out there right now, and look at the reaction to it.  Absolutely called out about it, from the PM to all political parties, to  the general public, media and public organisations; outright condemnation from all quarters.  This is progress, no matter how bad it looks.  We'll never be rid of it 100% in my opinion, not in my lifetime, likewise for most common crimes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Wall said:

And what if they don't?

What if they're run by people who only care about money and power?

What if they're not bothered about people being exploited and abused?

What if the advertisers aren't bothered either?

Twitter is an absolute sewer, but they're not going bust anytime soon.

Do you think the directors of a big tech company will act more responsibly than a democratically elected government?

Mark Zuckerberg doesn't need your vote in 4 years

I think they will if they start losing users hand over fist to other platforms due to the content they allow. If user numbers go down, Ad revenue goes down and they start losing out on data harvesting too.

And if they dont change? Then its on us to force change instead. People power could wipe millions off a companies value in just hours if need be. Id also go as far to say that Government really only cares about money and power and they really dont give a damn about people being exploited or abused either. If they did, the every day items we import that were made using ill treated labour from abroad would not be allowed. 

Regardless, lets not get into an argument about it or get into politics. The fact is that change needs to take place and soon. How that comes about in a sensible way that doesnt remove the freedoms of those who have no wish to identify themselves is going to be the real interesting bit. 

31 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Time, sadly, in incremental steps towards a better place.

It wasn't too long ago that people would go to "the p*** shop", or "the chin***" for dinner.  It was acceptable/normal language then.  It was even more recently that men with long hair were called "puffs", "gypos", or whatever.  Times change, societies generally improve over time.  Now we have same-sex marriage, no-one but a few bat an eyelid.  Homophobia hasn't gone away, but we have a society that largely accepts same-sex marriage.

We still have racism and it exists out there right now, and look at the reaction to it.  Absolutely called out about it, from the PM to all political parties, to  the general public, media and public organisations; outright condemnation from all quarters.  This is progress, no matter how bad it looks.  We'll never be rid of it 100% in my opinion, not in my lifetime, likewise for most common crimes.

Agree. Whilst ever there are human beings we will never be devoid of crime, greed, hate etc

But we can make it more difficult step by step.

1 hour ago, The Wall said:

I presume he said it to make that point i.e. it's not necessarily an 'England' problem, as it's been presented in the media

England manager Gareth Southgate called the abuse "unforgivable".

"I know a lot of that has come from abroad, that people who track those things have been able to explain that, but not all of it," he told a news conference.

- CNN

I'm not sharing it, but it's as yet, uncredited, but there is something doing the rounds on media (the Mirror columnist), that 94% of the abuse in the most recent abuse came from outside the UK, or something along those lines. 

7 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

I think they will if they start losing users hand over fist to other platforms due to the content they allow. If user numbers go down, Ad revenue goes down and they start losing out on data harvesting too.

And if they dont change? Then its on us to force change instead. People power could wipe millions off a companies value in just hours if need be. Id also go as far to say that Government really only cares about money and power and they really dont give a damn about people being exploited or abused either. If they did, the every day items we import that were made using ill treated labour from abroad would not be allowed. 

Regardless, lets not get into an argument about it or get into politics. The fact is that change needs to take place and soon. How that comes about in a sensible way that doesnt remove the freedoms of those who have no wish to identify themselves is going to be the real interesting bit. 

I dont believe anybody has to make themselves known publicly, but the details in the user accounts should be there and held accordingly. If people dont want to use that platform thats up to them. People not wanting to open themselves can join sites where ID's are verified. Then all the scummers can just abuse each other as nobody else will be listening

42 minutes ago, OwlinOldham said:

Ok, we'll agree to disagree.

For me legislation is a much simpler way than relying on self regulation (which has given us what we have now) or people choosing to walk away (what's stopping them now?).

• Like 1