Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

Guest Grandad

Signed

If you're not going on social media anonymously to troll people and make offensive remarks - nothing to fear really is there

Signed.

More than happy to have social media curtailed in such a way that might be ever so slightly uncomfortable for me to ensure the mental, physical and emotional health of others is protected. If I don't like it I won't join up, which is far better than people being subjected to abuse.

Might be a bit of a blunt instrument, but it is far better to do anything than nothing at all.

Lock them up, name and shame and educate.

Guest Grandad

It needs doing, not just for the racists.

It needs doing to stop kids bullying each other to the point of suicide. So age verification too.

11 minutes ago, Grandad said:

It needs doing to stop kids bullying each other to the point of suicide. So age verification too.

And Bots and misinformation spreading. It's the wild west with Social Media at the moment, and it has so obviously come to a head that something needs doing.

• Like 1

Will I sign the petition? Simple answer is no.  

What I have seen these past few days, isn't about football or racism believe it or not.  

It will be a concerted move to curb free speech and bring in more censorship by the big tech companies.  

What's going on, isn't about a small minority of neanderthals who shout the loudest or post vile racism, it will be to do with putting greater controls on the masses.  

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

What I have seen these past few days, isn't about football or racism believe it or not.  

It will be a concerted move to curb free speech and bring in more censorship by the big tech companies.  

What's going on, isn't about a small minority of neanderthals who shout the loudest or post vile racism, it will be to do with putting greater controls on the masses.  

I thought the big tech companies would less censorship.

If you need ID, photo verification then less people will use twitter so less advertising revenue.

ThinknI read that most of the online stuff towards the England players the other night came from abroad so not sure how you can track these people down.

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I thought the big tech companies would less censorship.

If you need ID, photo verification then less people will use twitter so less advertising revenue.

ThinknI read that most of the online stuff towards the England players the other night came from abroad so not sure how you can track these people down.

Wonder if it actually came from abroad, or people just using VPNs?

3 minutes ago, Ronio said:

Speech is not 100% free. If I go and convince a group of people that they should all come to an island with me, and commit mass suicide through my words, am I in the wrong? Jim Jones did that exact thing. Was he right in saying the things he said? Should it have been allowed?

What about if I convince a bunch of people a race war is about to happen and they should go out and kill people because a band has told me to do it? Charles Manson.

More of a hypothetical argument, what if I convince somebody that somebody you love is, let's say a child abuser, and that they should go and kill them to save more children from it happening to them. Did I do anything wrong? I was just exercising my right to free speech wasn't I?

Speech can be dangerous, it has been proven time and time again throughout pretty much all of history. What does it take for Social Media to be curtailed? A suicide by a high profile celebrity? Because cyber bullying already causes suicide. I'm more than happy for people to be held account for their actions, rather than it be a free for all, because we are seeing what it leads to and it will only get worse.

Completely entitled to your opinion btw.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grandad said:

My brother runs a junior football team and he was shocked to find someone regularly posting on the junior league Facebook page was using a fake name, inviting people to trials and offering to go to people's houses to collect "junk" for fund raising. He reported it to Facebook but nothing has been done he just got a message back stating that the profile does not violate their terms.

14 minutes ago, Ronio said:

If censoring the masses (who aren’t the ones putting out vile posts on social media anyway) results in stopping this small minority of Neanderthals from circulating their bile and hatred, then I’m all for it to be honest.

3 hours ago, Manwë said:

Won't be signing it, as it'll be pointless anyway.  Any interaction that requires a verifiable form of ID for tens of millions of people will require a staff of hundreds, verifying such IDs, and who is going to do that?  Twitter?  Facebook?   The Govt?  The police?  

Let's say, for instance, that the UKGov introduced such a law and France doesn't.  Then will unverified French people be able to speak/criticise/share with verified UK people?    If Yes, then the law is pointless because it's simple to create an account from any country within reason.  If no, then the UK really will be cutting itself off from the rest of the world.  

Secondly, I've been following social media this year quite heavily on a number of topics, mostly human rights, and the level of debate is beyond sad.  Don't agree with mass migration?  Then you're a fascist*.  Don't think that Laurel Hubbard should compete under the women's section at Tokyo?  Then you're a transphobe*.    Eat meat?  Then you take enjoyment in seeing animals suffer*.  Yes you do, stop denying it.

*Not really, you just have a difference of opinion, which may be right or wrong, but ultimately, your right to hold such a view is a right too.   

But not everyone believes you're entitled to a different opinion, and some even believe a difference of opinion is possibly a criminal offence, or should be.  And who better to determine that than the police?    So let's call the police when someone disagrees, and let them be the judge of what's right or wrong online.  No thanks.

Racism has no place in society, but stifling free-speech for the sake of online fire-and-forget trolls is not the way to go about it.

We live in a digitally connected age, and no unilateral decision by the UK will stop any digital crime, no matter how well intentioned.  The only solution, is to stop the internet.  

I don't disagree with what you say, however, just to confirm, it wouldn't require any staff to verify the documents (well minimal anyway) , like most things these days its done via software.

2 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Is the world, and society in general, better or worse for a free unregulated social media?

I would say worse on the whole, although it probably depends where in the world you are.

Your government has to be pretty bad for it to be worse than than a free for all

Two points re social media. 

Firstly they have no problem identifying and taking down anything anti vax/ anti covid /pro trump. I could go on. Wether you agree or not with that message they are stifling debate. Why can’t they act with equal force against these racist numpties. It really can’t be difficult but do they want to?

I had a numpty post a video on Facebook running around outside my business premises with his ******** out. I complained to Facebook but that didn’t breach their standards. 

If the social media platforms only control views they find acceptable ( despite them being illegal) then maybe the problem lies with them?

• Like 1