Make verified ID a requirement for opening a social media account.

3 minutes ago, TheSlicer said:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/575833

Make it a legal requirement when opening a new social media account, to provide a verified form of ID. Where the account belongs to a person under the age of 18 verify the account with the ID of a parent/guardian, to prevent anonymised harmful activity, providing traceability if an offence occurs.

@@owlstalk I would appreciate if this thread could be kept in the match day section as it gets more traffic than the others and I feel this is extremely important after the disgusting abuse we have seen online recently. Also, it has the potential to effect our players, staff, and supporters. 

This is a petition for people to have to verify themselves when getting a social media account. As people can currently make one anonymously and cowardly abuse people. 

Over 500k signatures is very good, but it’s a drop in the ocean to what it should be, especially considering the vast number of people that’s supported England the past month. I must mention this isn’t just footballers/sports professionals that get this disgusting abuse. 

thanks in advance. 

Signed last night and I feel only solution to remove trolling online.

• Like 1

Social media is one area where racism needs to be tackled but it is just one area. I feel that it gets too much attention and diverts away from the wider issue. Twitter and the like just give scum bags one place to spread their hate. It does need dealing with but it sometimes feels a bit like closing the curtains to the fire burning and fighting that is happening outside. 

And I do feel that annonymity is needed by some people who wish to enjoy social media such as victims of abuse, people from some countries that feel that they can't speak honestly without it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, markg said:

Social media is one area where racism needs to be tackled but it is just one area. I feel that it gets too much attention and diverts away from the wider issue. Twitter and the like just give scum bags one place to spread their hate. It does need dealing with but it sometimes feels a bit like closing the curtains to the fire burning and fighting that is happening outside. 

And I do feel that annonymity is needed by some people who wish to enjoy social media such as victims of abuse, people from some countries that feel that they can't speak honestly without it.

I believe that they could still remain anonymous but their details would be stored. This would potentially help those that have suffered domestic abuse but maybe not those from certain countries (something I cannot comment on as I don’t know enough about)

Just now, TheSlicer said:

I believe that they could still remain anonymous but their details would be stored. This would potentially help those that have suffered domestic abuse but maybe not those from certain countries (something I cannot comment on as I don’t know enough about)

Fair point, yes that sounds the ideal solution

I've been banging this very drum for the past 5 years! I'm glad the world has finally caught up.

However, very strict governance must in place to ensure that the verified ID is not misused by the social media companies, and that after its use for verification, it is securely deleted. Social media companies abusing this in any way, should be severely punished. So no flipping algorithm usage Twitter and FB, you corrupt two hats!!

Signed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TheSlicer said:

A small step towards helping stop racist is a going too far? 

My view is nothing to do with racism or anything else that happens on social media. Everyone who has an online account is already traceable through the email addresd used to open the account. 

• Like 2