Player Ratings - England Euro 2020

Pickford - 8. Mr consistent, solid tournament, few key saves. Stood up under pressure in the shootout.

Shaw - 8.5. What a player. Arguably our best at the tournament. Constant threat down the left and, linked up brilliantly with Sterling.

Stones - 7. Nothing spectacular, which is exactly what we need from him! Good to see him have solid tournament. 

Maguire - 8. Outstanding.

Mings - 7. Did well in the games he played.

Walker - 6. He had some great games and, some absolute stinkers. Think his time in an England shirt needs to be phased out, we have a ready made replacement in James.

Trippier - 6.5. Solid in every game. Nothing spectacular.

Rice - 6.5. Absolute work horse, often in the right place at the right time. Reads the game from a defensive perspective so we’ll.

Phillips - 7. Better than I thought! Great energy. Calm in the ball. Good at what he does, I’d argue we don’t need both him and, Rice in the team but, that’s neither of their faults.

Mount - 6. Thought he was ok, failed to really take any game by the scruff of the neck. He’s a better player when we play on the front foot.

Sterling - 9. Player of the tournament. Unplayable on numerous occasions. Frightened defenders to death. His record since the World Cup has been frightening.

Saka - 6.5. Had moments of brilliance. Not sure why he was stuck out on the right. Again not his fault. Will be a key part of the Word Cup squad.

Kane - 6. Found himself far too deep far too often. Looked unfit. Got ourselves in some cracking positions to find that our main goal scorer wasn’t even in the box. Should have been hooked numerous times but was allowed to chug on.

Grealish - 6.5. He’s not an impact player. Far better when he starts a game. The little time he did spend on the pitch, the defenders looked frightened to death. 

Henderson - 6. Did a job when we needed it. Great professional but, probably won’t be around too much longer.

Sancho, Rashford and Foden didn’t really play enough to warrant a rating IMO.

• Like 1

Pickford - 7 - Brill in the final, should've been a hero, shakey v Denmark, some good saves but I don't entirely trust him

Shaw - 8 - Fantastic tournament, bit quieter in the final but they all were 

Stones - 7 - Agree with o/p, some poor attacking headers compared to usual, but don't worry about him making mistakes anymore

Maguire - 8. Didn't do anything wrong, maybe could do better with attacking headers, GS justified in waiting for him

Mings - 7. Did well in the games he played.

Walker - 8 - Thought he was brilliant throughout, every time the opposition had a chance Walker sorted it out, don't write off this guy yet

Trippier - 6 - Thought he was going to have a fantastic final the way he set off, pretty average but did a steady job

Rice - 7.5 - Did his job perfectly, though his role potential stunted us a bit too much in attack, Southgate probably needs to let him off the leash

Phillips - 7.3 - Can drift in and out of games but had a good tournament, can see him going to Man Utd and adding about 30m to his fee after this 

Mount - 5 - One of our only players who had a disappointing tournament, just wasn't there

Sterling - 9 - Player of the tournament. Unplayable on numerous occasions. Frightened defenders to death. His record since the World Cup has been frightening. Amazing in defence too

Saka - 6.5 -Was ok in parts but not sure why he is ahead of several others in the pecking order

Kane - 6 - Anonymous to good to anonymous in the final. Stunted by how we play rather than his performance level dropping imo. He was dominating the first 20 minutes yesterday, was wonderful to watch.

Grealish - 6 - Doesn't fit in yet, I blame GS for taking so long to call him up

Henderson - 5 - Nontity really. Awful yesterday.

Foden - Tidy in parts but doesn't quite fit

Rashford-Looks way off it, wouldn't be in my next England squad

Bellingham-This guy in 18 months might be the difference

Sancho-Not given a fair crack, should have been on way earlier yesterday

Sterling man of the tournament - Shaw a smidge behind

Mentions to Pickford who was absolutely outstanding last night - the 2 CB's were where i thought we would fall short and both were immense

More disappointed that we handed them the initiative with a weird formation which i think unsettled us more than them - but also a huge amount of positives

Lots to ponder going forward 

• Like 1

Pickford - 8 

Walker - 7

Trippier  - 6

Stones - 8.5

Mings - 6

Maguire - 8

Shaw - 9

Rice - 7

Phillips - 6

Henderson - 5

Mount- 4

Foden - 5

Grealish  - 5

Sterling - 8.5

Saka - 7

Kane - 7

Thibk overall best 3 have been Sterling, Stones and Shaw just edging them out. 

Maguire and Pickford also removed a few doubters 

54 minutes ago, vulva said:

Anyone not rating Walker an 8 or 9 hasn’t watched the tournament I just have. 

Sterling best player, closely followed by Walker, Maguire and Rice. 

Walker was a 4/10 again Ukraine.

Felt wed have nicked it if GS had he balls to stick with his other system.

Still...penalties lottery etc etc.

More to come from these lads.

Shaw completely took me off guard with his displays. Terrific forwards and backwards.

Think Stones seems to have gone under the radar hes not put a foot wrong since the opening whistle against Croatia.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

Pickford - 8 - Kicking slightly wayward, and did get caught up in the moment sometimes. But some fantastic saves and never felt worried with him there.

Shaw - 10 - MOTT for me. At the heart of everything we did well. Set up 3, scored a blinder in the final. Excellent.

Maguire - 9 - Headed everything, passed well, got a goal. Big part of the reason we only conceded 2 all tournament.

Stones - 9 - Thought he was as good as Maguire, if a little less noticeable. Turned into an elite CB.

Walker - 9 - Don't get the negativity, thought he was class and dug us out of some scary spots with his pace.

Phillips - 7.5 - Good tournament overall. Needs to learn how to impact games more consistently, but promising from a young player. Excellent set up for Sterling first game.

Rice - 8 - Grew into the tournament, made a great shield with Philips. Played excellent in the final.

Sterling - 9 - Joint top scorer, so dangerous when on the ball and his timing is fantastic. Still only 26!!

Mount - 6 - Mostly anonymous, but gave his all. Still young but again, needs to learn how to make more of a mark.

Saka - 7 - Gave us pace when needed, and had a positive impact. Thought he was poor yesterday before the pen. Again, 19.

Kane - 7 - Some great goals, but never looked 100% to me, looked tired. Still, 3 goals.

Trippier - 7 - looked good when he played. Great delivery yesterday.

Mings - looked good when Maguire was out, solid as a rock.

Sancho - 1 game but thought he looked positive. Still young.

Bellingham - excited by him. 17!

DCL - Not enough time to judge really.

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Got some serious quality atm.

The depth we have too is really promising.

Sterling player of the tournament for me. Outstanding.

Agree with the comment about squad depth, also don’t forget we’ve got Jack O’ Connell to come into the squad too for the World Cup. Exciting times 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Django said:

Agree with the comment about squad depth, also don’t forget we’ve got Jack O’ Connell to come into the squad too for the World Cup. Exciting times 

If is career is over as rumoured I’d expect him to come straight in as manager tbh. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Django said:

Biggsy will be penning an article right now about how we would have won had JOC played.

only saw 3 games ......the keeper and defence looked solid but the midfield seemed to lack a creative edge ......hard to be critical of a manager who's only 2 penalties going his way from winning the competition but he does seem to err on the side of negative from what i saw . .......shaw impressed me the most 

Tell you what, breakout performer surely has to go to Kalvin Phillips. First major tournament and his pressing was superb both in defensive and attacking moments, kept it tidy on the ball and never let the team down. Huge well done to him. 

And you could easily say the same for Rice I suppose. 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1