England action plan

1) Keep Southgate (if he's willing to accept he got it wrong v Croatia and Germany) - He needs to stop being so conservative. We have the players to crush the opposition, like Ukraine, Denmark, Germany. The same could have been done v Italy. It's not even a tactical issue, it's simply the mentality on whether we attack or defend. However he's got credit now, there is nobody obvious to take over, he's got great rapport with the squad and he makes it a good environment for them. 3rd time lucky. 

2) Get TAA, Sancho, Foden, Grealish incorporated into the team - These guys are on the periphery and don't really have a big role in the team yet, despite all clearly having the X factor. I am not saying they need to start but they need to be able to have an obvious purpose for us.

3) But evolution not revolution - Walker, Trippier, Henderson are aging, Pickford, Rashford potentially have better players in their positions however come the next qualifier or whatever Southgate doesn't need to make a big statement by making multiple changes and write anybody off. We don't have much experience in the squad so it's important to keep the few players that do. 

4) Sack the media off - It's great what Gareth has done with the media but if they weren't such two hats we wouldn't have to be cuddling up to them in the first place, well we've earned a bit of credit now and shouldn't need to appease them to stop them trying to destroy us. Next year in Qatar stop the daily interviews, darts games v the media etc, we don't need them sucking up, and it can't be good for the players constantly having to perform for the media. GS is smart enough and not greedy enough to get caught out by them trying to set him up so don't worry about them. 

I firmly believe England were the best side in that competition, it will be hard to get over losing to an inferior Italy side, but when you look at the Copa America there isn't anything to scare us there too much. Our young side will have had an extra 18 months of development+experience and we can enter that tournament rightly thinking we can win it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He took a good penalty but you knew there were issues when he was stepping up, with all those attackers and midfielders he is not an obvious contender to take a penalty 

He was clearly confident enough to take one regardless of his position - they're professional international class footballers, hitting the target from 12 yards shouldn't be beyond any of them. 

He obviously knew exactly where he was going to stick it, unlike Rashford who seemingly didn't have a clue which way he was going until he actually got to the point of kicking the ball. 

Just now, alanharper said:

He was clearly confident enough to take one regardless of his position - they're professional international class footballers, hitting the target from 12 yards shouldn't be beyond any of them. 

He obviously knew exactly where he was going to stick it, unlike Rashford who seemingly didn't have a clue which way he was going until he actually got to the point of kicking the ball. 

You can't fault Maguire's penalty but everyone who plays in front of him should be able to take a better penalty on paper, the fact that he stepped up meant that those in front had not. 

5) Penalties - Hit the ball hard and fast into a corner. Stop stuttering run ups, overrated nonsense. 

6) Effective use of subs-Try and win the game not wait to bring players on simply for penalties. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

I'll be honest I think it's great how the manager has invited the media in. 

yeh it's served it's purpose but I think next time around we should just let them get on with their jobs rather than performing for the media 

I dont think its performing for the media I thi k it's worked on multiple ways. 

For a start I think its stopped em with the doom mongering a fair bit, and that thing they always used to do where they'd have a story about a player and sit on it until the tournament was about to kick off.

But I think its created a level of interest and backing. (Rscist f'cktards excluded) on a scale we havent seen before. Even my kids, who I've previously attempted to get into football but who shown little or no interest (mebbe not surprising after seeing my face most Saturday tea times) have been asking about it. 

I think it's been a huge positive. The us and them thing with the media has ruined many a campaign. Included the Argentina debacle when the press paid some latin lotharios to chat up the wags and then took pictures. Bonnetti was in bits, seeing as he was already having trouble with the missus. Theres a self destruct element in our press. 

Now I get that we shouldn't pander to em. But having em inside and onside I think has really made a difference. 

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

I dont think its performing for the media I thi k it's worked on multiple ways. 

For a start I think its stopped em with the doom mongering a fair bit, and that thing they always used to do where they'd have a story about a player and sit on it until the tournament was about to kick off.

But I think its created a level of interest and backing. (Rscist f'cktards excluded) on a scale we havent seen before. Even my kids, who I've previously attempted to get into football but who shown little or no interest (mebbe not surprising after seeing my face most Saturday tea times) have been asking about it. 

I think it's been a huge positive. The us and them thing with the media has ruined many a campaign. Included the Argentina debacle when the press paid some latin lotharios to chat up the wags and then took pictures. Bonnetti was in bits, seeing as he was already having trouble with the missus. Theres a self destruct element in our press. 

Now I get that we shouldn't pander to em. But having em inside and onside I think has really made a difference. 

Yeh so basically the players when they could be training, resting, having fun, whatever they want to do have to go schmoozing so the press won't jump on them. It's not a great relationship is it? Play darts with us or we'll print a kiss and tell, or turn GS's head into a vegetable. 

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Yeh so basically the players when they could be training, resting, having fun, whatever they want to do have to go schmoozing so the press won't jump on them. It's not a great relationship is it? Play darts with us or we'll print a kiss and tell, or turn GS's head into a vegetable. 

Well theres a bit of that of course. 

But It's not just that though theres all the stuff with the kids they are doing, the zoom sessions etc. 

I mea, a game of darts with a press hound might sound crappola,  but when you look at previous camps one of the main thing they always talk about is the boredom between games and training sessions. 

Game of arrers,  a chat with folks back home. 

It's a two way street. 

I've genuinely never seen an England squad look so relaxed and that's a good thing in a tournament environment IMO

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

The media will take it too far is the problem.
For example, subbing on an "MBE", or calls to make our manager a Sir. 

It is exactly that reason other countries think we are arrogant, and it showed hugely with the style of some of our penalties. These are professional footballers, not heroes who would do anything like real charity heroes etc.

The player's don't ask for it, but my god the press love to build anything up to the extreme these days. Completely puts me off anything to do with the team except the 90 minutes on the pitch.

I think with regards to Southgate, the F.A. need to assume that he will be off after Qatar. 

If we fail in that tournament,  he will probably be asked to leave.  If we get to the SF's or beyond, he came name his price for a top club job and he won't be chasing his own targets.

So, they need to be looking to groom or integrate his successor now. 

There are no outstanding candidates..don't give me all this Eddie Howe, Graham Potter, Sean Dyche rubbish ..so Frank Lampard needs to be worked with now. I really think International team management is such a different job to club management,  ex players like Lampard, Gerrard  etc would do a lot better there. 

1 minute ago, Bannofan said:

I think with regards to Southgate, the F.A. need to assume that he will be off after Qatar. 

If we fail in that tournament,  he will probably be asked to leave.  If we get to the SF's or beyond, he came name his price for a top club job and he won't be chasing his own targets.

So, they need to be looking to groom or integrate his successor now. 

There are no outstanding candidates..don't give me all this Eddie Howe, Graham Potter, Sean Dyche rubbish ..so Frank Lampard needs to be worked with now. I really think International team management is such a different job to club management,  ex players like Lampard, Gerrard  etc would do a lot better there. 

Lampard failed at international football because he was part of the problem in a very toxic dressing room.

Chelsea improved massively once they sacked him.

I don’t think he’s PL level at the moment. Certainly should not be in the England equation for me