Moore on his targets

Just like this time last year, our success (or otherwise) rests on who we bring in up front.

We never replaced Fletcher (and dare I say it, Nuhiu), and our entire season last time out was crippled because of it.

Windass did an admirable job filling in as a number nine at times, but he'd be best suited to playing as one of the three behind a decent centre forward; Paterson never looked comfortable up there and despite a few goals, we never looked coherent with him leading the line; and Rhodes showed he could adapt his game to play that way on occasion, but hold up play has never been his natural game and he'd also have benefitted from a target man alongside him.

In Windass, Paterson, Green and (hopefully) Shodipo, we have the players to play off a proper centre forward. Bringing the best out of them by signing the right kind of striker must be our priority now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, room0035 said:

We should be signing the many free agents out there. loans should be a last case scenario.

All a loan does is allow us to develop someones players then at the end of the season we release our younger players, not giving them the same chances, we do to other teams young players on loan.

We can bring in a few loans but we have a chance to develop a squad of players over the next few seasons, come the first game of the season i dont want a match day squad with 5 loan players in. 1 or 2 is fine as long as we cannot sign a free agent or dont have players for that role.

Don’t think it makes much difference at the moment whether they’re our players or some other clubs as I think the longest contract we can offer anyone at the moment due to the rules put in place by that fantastic, fair, forward thinking governing body of ours is a year?

Guest OwlPastie

From that, I'm assuming we're gonna be playing Wing Backs if there is no wingers being targeted. Shodipo has signed but I'm sure he's they only winger in the squad right? 

It’s good that we are starting to bring in new players.  Something positive to talk about in the close season.

It is funny though - we could sign someone from Timbuktu - no one has ever seen him play but he is a good signing.  Then we get to December and they are not as good as we had hoped.  It is the Wednesday way.  Happens every year and makes me chuckle.

Sincerely hope that the new signings work out but if I am being honest I haven’t got a scooby do who they are or if they are any good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fpowl said:

Darren Moore says he wants

goalkeeper

left back

centre back

and two more strikers 

he wants them in as quick as possible and thinks it’s going to be a busy recruitment week coming up

Sounds perfect that Darren 

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/darren-moore-wednesday-transfer-claim-21023277

He's been reading Owlstalk I see. Can't get a more accurate list than that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vulva said:

So, they were wrong then. Thanks for clarifying that. 

Considering we had only 13 or so players, I don't believe anyone thought we would start the season without making a single signing. Nor did anyone think we wouldn't play a few friendlies either.

That would be rather stupid. 

That said, it wasn't looking great and in truth when you consider the level of recruitment, whilst it is exciting for now, it's a sure sign of just how bad things have become that we are getting a team of inexperienced kids. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Shopping In a completely different market now. Mostly unknown young players. Hopefully they will turn out to be up to the job. It’s a risk but a risk we have to take. 

Exactly right,  personally I often looked at a team like Barnsley’s line up and thought who??? But they turned out to be good enough for the playoffs and that was the championship.  No one is going to let us sign a finished article player, it’s about taking a risk and hoping game time and our coaching gets us a decent player.  I’d rather we sign these young players, than a 30 year old who has “proved he was good enough for league 1”.  

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I'm cheered up, this is me cheered up, you don't want to meet me when i'm cheered down.

We see you cheered down every day ya miserable b ugger.lol

• Haha 1

Sounds good. I said I wasn't being involved/getting excited for this season, but I'm getting more interested. I'm not letting myself get too excited though. I wasn't sure on Moore too after a bit last season, but will give him a clean slate for this season and see how he goes. My top aim would be top mid table or the play offs, but would settle for mid table. The two signings so far look good and have had good/great last seasons in the Championship/League 1. 

I'll post our current squad, plus the target positions etc. as well:

GK: Dawson, Wildsmith, Jackson, Render, (new player.)  I would try and sell or loan either Dawson or Wildsmith and loan either Jackson or Render.

Defenders: RB's - Palmer, Dawodu  CB's - Dunkley, Hutchinson, Iorfa, Brennan, Thompson, Böner, (new CB)  LB's - Galvin, (new LB.)  With Böner likely going we need a left footer.

Midfielders: RCM - Adeniran, Dele-Bashiru  CDM - Luongo, Waldock  LCM - Bannan, Hunt.  I would sell Bannan and bring in a few more players on lesser wages too.

Forwards: Wingers - Green, Hagan, Adedoyin, Windass  ST - Paterson  & (2 new Forwards.)  I would try and sell Paterson and try and keep Windass if possible.