Chester Game - What did we Learn?

29 minutes ago, Supervisor2 said:

Haven’t seen any posts regarding the performances of Wildsmith or Dawson……. We’re Chester that bad

Dom Howson gave them 6 each

Our outfield players kept the ball away from goal for most of the game.

Despite what Moore says in public hopefully we are actually trying to sign a new number 1 keeper

I agree with the commentators that Alex Hunt was the best player on the pitch. He’s positive, quick, played one or two touch, was progressive, didn’t try stupid long diagonal balls and glued everything together.

I think he’s better for us than Baz in League One and he has a great future.

He looks a real prospect. I hope he’s playing on Tuesday I’d like to see him live again.

9 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

I agree with the commentators that Alex Hunt was the best player on the pitch. He’s positive, quick, played one or two touch, was progressive, didn’t try stupid long diagonal balls and glued everything together.

I think he’s better for us than Baz in League One and he has a great future.

He looks a real prospect. I hope he’s playing on Tuesday I’d like to see him live again.

Through no fault of his own he arguably lost a year from his career last season due to bad management.

He should’ve been sent out on Loan if he wasn’t going to figure in the first team. For us to hang on to him in January was ludicrous in the extreme.

I get the feeling while ever Bannan’s here it will block his progress. Bannan’s our best player by far but I just wonder if making the big call to move him on will benefit both Hunt and the team in the short and long term?

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Through no fault of his own he arguably lost a year from his career last season due to bad management.

He should’ve been sent out on Loan if he wasn’t going to figure in the first team. For us to hang on to him in January was ludicrous in the extreme.

I get the feeling while ever Bannan’s here it will block his progress. Bannan’s our best player by far but I just wonder if making the big call to move him on will benefit both Hunt and the team in the short and long term?

Bannan has amazing stats and we came bottom of the league...as a manager that would raise a few flags for me.

He’s been a decent player but we’ve never had success with him running midfield. If we can sell Baz I’d snap their hands off.

Baz finds positions where too many opposition players are between him and the goal (way too deep)...hence the clueless diagonal balls. Hunt plays ahead just between those lines and finds way better passes as there’s more space.

Moore knows this.

31 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Bannan has amazing stats and we came bottom of the league...as a manager that would raise a few flags for me.

He’s been a decent player but we’ve never had success with him running midfield. If we can sell Baz I’d snap their hands off.

Baz finds positions where too many opposition players are between him and the goal (way too deep)...hence the clueless diagonal balls. Hunt plays ahead just between those lines and finds way better passes as there’s more space.

Moore knows this.

So if Moore knows this. He will be starting Hunt ahead of Bannan will he.?  Which we both know isn't going to happen.

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

So if Moore knows this. He will be starting Hunt ahead of Bannan will he.?  Which we both know isn't going to happen.

No, you’re right, he’ll start Bannan...it’s a huge risk if he doesn’t...he’ll blend him in of time 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Supervisor2 said:

Haven’t seen any posts regarding the performances of Wildsmith or Dawson……. We’re Chester that bad

Dom Howson gave them 6 each

Neither were tested at all to be honest.

Impossible to give them a score out of 10 really.

Guest Therealrealist
1 hour ago, Sefton owl said:

I never pay any attention to pre season games.. Its purely about getting players up to match speed. Yes as a club and team we are in dire straits but we shouldn’t be using a 2-0 victory against chester as anything to go by ffs

Why not? Beating Chester 2-0 is ‘yet more good news’ garymegson

7 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Even when Borner did want to be here, he played like he did today on many occasions. Just giving so many silly fouls away. He is awful.

As someone said above, Bola looked miles better.

I think Borner gets a lot of unfair stick on here. When he first came, he settled very well and prior to our alarming drop in form, when we were third before plummeting, he was easily in our top 3 players for performances that season. It’s very unlikely he will be here come the start of the season, but I think he would be very good in league one and also weigh in with a few goals.

Edited by sexpistol
  • Like 3

Whilst I enjoyed watching yesterday, I’m hopeful that in other preseason games we mix and match a bit more. How well would Hunt do with Adeniran and Luongo besides him? How would Bannan do with youthful, pacy runners to pick out. 

Plenty more preseason games to come so hopefully get to see them mix up a bit between old guard and youth. 

• Like 2