Chester Game - What did we Learn?

5 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

For me this game was a game of two halves. First half it was the same slow, tepid Wednesday of last season. Predictable everything into Bannan football. Patterson offering nothing upfront and just general meh performance.

Second half we had umph. We had mobility, pace and directness. We mixed our play up and to be honest it was very refreshing to watch.

Clearly Patterson is not a striker and the lad who scored made a huge difference with is ability to play the role and be dangerous (as a striker should be). He can go either way and looks to get in behind and stretch the play.

Hunt came on and really reminded us he is still here.

Borner was horrendous.  He gave 4 erratic fouls away in the space of 5 mins. Do we really need to put up with him for another season. The lad on trial was miles better and assured. (Who was he, surely need to sign). Looked like a composed Reda.

I would sack all the dead wood off now like Borner and Patterson and play the younger lads. 

Moore has a tough call with Bannan as for Hunt to develop, Bannan cannot be in his way. If Hunt can keep that up it may be time to look to save BB wages and sell him. I am a massive fan of Bannan but he really does make us a predictable outfit. I think Hunt can step up now. It's now or never. He is our future.

So the point, trust the kids. 

You cannot win anything with kids you say.....

You won't win anything with donkeys like Borner and Patterson blocking their route to the first team. You will get relegated as we saw.

Great second half and the new lad Adrenian massive improvement on JP.

UTO

Great post - thanks mate
I missed the game but this is a solid overview 

• Like 5

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Great post - thanks mate
I missed the game but this is a solid overview 

I wish I had first half but second half has me a little more upbeat about the season ahead.

I have heard very good things about Shodipo too, so it looks like Moore has an eye for a player.

It's becoming clear we need a balance of experience and youth, to stop the ponderous play, inject some energy and pace, while retaining some composure on the ball and tactical nous. 

Pre season is up and running, looking forward to see how we progress.

• Like 2

Agree with most of the OP.  

First half we looked in control with Windass/Galvin looking good down the left. Banana was playing some nice combinations and today’s signing looked assured and had presence for his first game with us. Agree that Paterson looked out of place as a CF. Borner looked like he was running through treacle at times! 
Interesting we had our CBs bomb forward occasionally just like our piggy neighbours did in which it did cause a few problems. 

Second half I thought Hunt and  Adedoyin looked good. Latter being very direct and took his goal well. FDB did well in the CM. Chester had clearly tired in the second half but still the youngsters looked good. 

I know it’s only Chester but there was some promising things. Our pressing high up the pitch was great to see and you can see that Moore wants them passing and moving keeping the ball on the floor in which there was some good combinations of play. 

With Luongo and Iorfa to come back, hopefully we’ll add 5/6 more (including a GK) and will have a decent balanced squad to have a real good go this season!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

For me this game was a game of two halves. First half it was the same slow, tepid Wednesday of last season. Predictable everything into Bannan football. Patterson offering nothing upfront and just general meh performance.

Second half we had umph. We had mobility, pace and directness. We mixed our play up and to be honest it was very refreshing to watch.

Clearly Patterson is not a striker and the lad who scored made a huge difference with is ability to play the role and be dangerous (as a striker should be). He can go either way and looks to get in behind and stretch the play.

Borner was horrendous.  He gave 4 erratic fouls away in the space of 5 mins. Do we really need to put up with him for another season. The lad on trial was miles better and assured. (Who was he, surely need to sign). Looked like a composed Reda.

I would sack all the dead wood off now like Borner and Patterson and play the younger lads. 

Moore has a tough call with Bannan as for Hunt to develop, Bannan cannot be in his way. If Hunt can keep that up it may be time to look to save BB wages and sell him. I am a massive fan of Bannan but he really does make us a predictable outfit. I think Hunt can step up now. It's now or never. He is our future.

You won't win anything with donkeys like Borner and Patterson blocking their route to the first team. You will get relegated as we saw.

UTO

A very good assessment!👍

1 minute ago, flash said:

Agree with most of the OP.  

First half we looked in control with Windass/Galvin looking good down the left. Banana was playing some nice combinations and today’s signing looked assured and had presence for his first game with us. Agree that Paterson looked out of place as a CF. Borner looked like he was running through treacle at times! 
Interesting we had our CBs bomb forward occasionally just like our piggy neighbours did in which it did cause a few problems. 

Second half I thought Hunt and  Adedoyin looked good. Latter being very direct and took his goal well. FDB did well in the CM. Chester had clearly tired in the second half but still the youngsters looked good. 

I know it’s only Chester but there was some promising things. Our pressing high up the pitch was great to see and you can see that Moore wants them passing and moving keeping the ball on the floor in which there was some good combinations of play. 

With Luongo and Iorfa to come back, hopefully we’ll add 5/6 more (including a GK) and will have a decent balanced squad to have a real good go this season!

Spot on!

40 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

UTO

I think that’s an absolute fantastic point about Borner and Paterson,  when we’re in the position we’re in we’ve got a brilliant opportunity to trust these young players , and a manager in Darren Moore who I think is all about promoting and developing youth 

Im actually nearly excited, not seen the game myself today but a few who have are saying very similar things to the review above ,  can’t wait to see Adeniran and Adedoyin progress 

Hunt I think has always had potential, needs to push on and if he’s good enough I think DM will back him 

I didn’t watch but with it seems to me that Wednesday always play better when not under the shackles of a rigid formation, eg always passing it to Bannan 

We might as well send them out there with as little instructions as possible 

• Like 1