ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

3 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

No consistency with the 96 team. We rode our luck a bit in 96 We failed to

qualify in 94 and got

knocked out of the World Cup in the second round ( albeit unfortunately) in 98

Far more talent overall with this squad than 96

The genuine depth of this squad is way beyond anything i've ever known for England

In 96 we had Darren Anderton out wide - no disrespect because he was a decent player but he wouldn't get into this squad never mind team

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scram said:

The genuine depth of this squad is way beyond anything i've ever known for England

In 96 we had Darren Anderton out wide - no disrespect because he was a decent player but he wouldn't get into this squad never mind team

The Italian captain said our bench would have got to final ..that's a big statement and we have strength for midfield and defence. We need another Alan shearer type to burst through as kane can't do it on his own 

3 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Up there with the 96 lot? You must be having a bath. The passion in that team, the characters and the style of play were all beyond this crop. 

Don't get me wrong they are a talented bunch but they don't play with the same character 

that same 96 team that won 2 games in 90 mins? we've doubled that in this Euros.

I remember 96 well but there were significant flaws in that squad and venables knew it, hence why he didn't make a single sub in the semi against germany.

The comparisons with previous England teams of the 90's are a joke IMO. Those teams couldn't touch this lot for ability, quality squad depth. Yes they had a some talented players but some were flawed characters, many liked a tipple, generally nowhere near the professionalism levels of a modern day player. Don't take my word for it either, listen to the likes of Shearer, Lineker, Ferdinand they all say the same. 

I'm 52 and I can hand on heart say that this England team is the not only the best team, its the also the best representation of the nation I've seen in my lifetime. It's just a crying shame I'm having to try to explain the inherent racism to Kiwi's I know.......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sexpistol said:

No consistency with the 96 team. We rode our luck a bit in 96 We failed to

qualify in 94 and got

knocked out of the World Cup in the second round ( albeit unfortunately) in 98

Far more talent overall with this squad than 96

But I’d have Shearer and Sheringham up front with this team (midfield and defence) 

8 hours ago, BIG D said:

They’ll be a far better team than the ‘96 lot by the next tournament. They were all just about at their peak, most of this squad have at least another 4 major tournaments to look forward to yet 

Agreed. And actually I think the current group are more talented than the 96 bunch but I enjoyed watching the 96 bunch much more. More character about them.

9 hours ago, toppOwl said:

I do have to level a bit of flak at Southgate though, he got the big decisions very wrong last night and cost us the game, in comparison Mancini gave a lesson in game management. GS has done some very good work but he needs to know when to be a bit braver in his selections.

I was thinking about this last night. Undoubtedly England now have a strong back room team in every respect, and I have no doubt at all the preparation and planning for Sunday's game was in-depth and of the highest quality. And I also wonder whether that became part of the problem..... That having done all the homework and strategising and devised a game plan, Gareth Southgate was then very reluctant to amend or simply discard that plan when so much had gone into it. That for me is where he should have been braver.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scram said:

One of the thoughts I've shared with work colleagues is that when anyone from our starting 11 was substituted at any point during the tournament, no one panicked or thought it was a big deal because there was huge confidence that their replacement was of comparable ability.

As a general observation I would say that the current squad, with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, are not great players; there are no Beckhams, Gerrards, Rio Ferdinands. But they are undoubtedly very good players who have probably had better coaching, training, mentoring and lifestyle guidance than the so called Golden Generation. And at least as important, they actually function as a genuine team rather than a collection of cliques.

Unfortunately, all the football discussion covering the squad, their success, the penalties, the Italian fouls and the future is now completely overshadowed yet again by the behaviour of the yobs who stormed the stadium and separately despoiled several well-known sites in London. 

Yet again, a famous stadium was attacked by drunken and ticketless idiots. Reports suggest that the FA and the England team may receive severe punishment and the English/Irish bid for the 2030 World Cup may be ruled out. 

Thanks to the England team for doing us proud. Sadly, your achievement is now overshadowed by the behaviour of the worst in our society. 

Still feeling bitterly disappointed, it's been nice to get behind a team that you can see has left it all out on the pitch - the complete opposite to this football club for many years. 

I'm still in England mode right now, looking forward to this feeling fading away and remembering a cracking Summer for football. I can't say I'm quite getting up for the season with SWFC yet - really need to see some on and off the pitch improvements very fast. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vulva said:

We’ve got a lot of very good players. We need one to break through to be a world class player. 

To go and win the World Cup next year this is what's required - and Southgate needs to learn quickly on using the wealth of attacking talent in his team. We must do and can offer more in the final third. 

• Like 1

Gutted that we didn't quite get over the line but, I was so happy that at 50+ I'd seen my country in a final having had so much heartache younger as we constantly got knocked out of tournements. Southgate is the first English manager who has such a wealth of talent with players that with the correct leadership will develop. I have no doubt that this side will come again & again and could well go on to dominate world football for a few years. They're still very young really and although sad it was on Sunday night, the character will build and build. 

I do feel that we should give Southgate another crack for a couple of years, but if he fails to deliver with such a wealth of talent around him then perhaps it is time to give someone else a go. A world cup semifonal and a Euro final, then depending on how we do next year, if we fail there then it has to be time to go.

4 minutes ago, marshy said:

Gutted that we didn't quite get over the line but, I was so happy that at 50+ I'd seen my country in a final having had so much heartache younger as we constantly got knocked out of tournements. Southgate is the first English manager who has such a wealth of talent with players that with the correct leadership will develop. I have no doubt that this side will come again & again and could well go on to dominate world football for a few years. They're still very young really and although sad it was on Sunday night, the character will build and build. 

I do feel that we should give Southgate another crack for a couple of years, but if he fails to deliver with such a wealth of talent around him then perhaps it is time to give someone else a go. A world cup semifonal and a Euro final, then depending on how we do next year, if we fail there then it has to be time to go.

If we had 2 years to let a manager in and develop his ideas then I'd say thanks to GS and move on, but we've got 18 months or so and the hangover of this will stick around for a while. 

10 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

If we had 2 years to let a manager in and develop his ideas then I'd say thanks to GS and move on, but we've got 18 months or so and the hangover of this will stick around for a while. 

It could absolutely, I guess we'll see. The difference for me is that these are still so young and will have other tournements to come, whereas for some England teams that weren;t as good as this one, time wasn't prthapson their side. 

I just don't know what it is when it comes down to a shootout with England, Rashford with his Bruno Fernandez impression etc. I've in the main been from the Mel Sterland and Kevin Pressman school whwen it comes to pens. Take the back of the net off. In the main, if hit so hard AND CONTROLLED the keeper can't shift. Donnaruma (sp) is about 10ft 5 so you really do have to get a placement spot on. All told it's so easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and say this, but in that pressure cooker situation you never know. 

I think had Southgate been braver in extra time we could have beaten them before pens, but it was clear he was happy to try our luck that way, and for me personally, other may disagree it was the wrong call.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, marshy said:

It could absolutely, I guess we'll see. The difference for me is that these are still so young and will have other tournements to come, whereas for some England teams that weren;t as good as this one, time wasn't prthapson their side. 

I just don't know what it is when it comes down to a shootout with England, Rashford with his Bruno Fernandez impression etc. I've in the main been from the Mel Sterland and Kevin Pressman school whwen it comes to pens. Take the back of the net off. In the main, if hit so hard AND CONTROLLED the keeper can't shift. Donnaruma (sp) is about 10ft 5 so you really do have to get a placement spot on. All told it's so easy for me to sit behind a keyboard and say this, but in that pressure cooker situation you never know. 

I think had Southgate been braver in extra time we could have beaten them before pens, but it was clear he was happy to try our luck that way, and for me personally, other may disagree it was the wrong call.

Penalties is absolutely never the answer - unless you're down to ten men or don't have the options to change the game. 

We should never be looking to take the game into penalties, it's a complete coin throw. As soon as 90 minutes is up - change the team, and go and win the game - don't be afraid. The Italians were there for the taking in ET and we didn't go for it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

Up there with the 96 lot? You must be having a bath. The passion in that team, the characters and the style of play were all beyond this crop. 

Don't get me wrong they are a talented bunch but they don't play with the same character 

Good old nostalgia. Things were always better in the good old days.

Even when they lost, time and time again.