ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

16 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Southgate got every decision right until the last 5 minutes of the final game  I was staggered he took Walker off when we were defending a corner in the last minute of a cup final. I agree Shaw and Walker are superb strikers of the ball and I think both would have smashed it. Rashfords silly stuttering run up was absurd. Had he scored I think we would have won. 

We were in control in the first half, but from then on Italy were superior, and, as always, they know when and where to foul.

So near, yet so far .

It was either get them on then, or risk not having them for the shootout.

He had been waiting on the touchline to get them on for a few good minutes until their was a break in play 

Just unlucky 

Edited by FreshOwl

10 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think they might find it hard to track some of the people down as a lot of it apparently came from abroad.

Like Gary nevillle said.i knew this morning we would wake up to headlines of abuse to players.....

• Love 1

59 minutes ago, vulva said:

I think they are up there with the 90 and 96 teams. My first memory is the Spain 82 side, and we’ve had some gash since then. You can’t argue with their results or progress in tournaments. What they lack is a Modric type in the middle. Foden will hopefully turn into that player. 

I think a lack of attack through central midfield has been our biggest failing. This is my big issue with Southgate, it's too defensive and it shows in that area. 

2 minutes ago, darklord said:

I think a lack of attack through central midfield has been our biggest failing. This is my big issue with Southgate, it's too defensive and it shows in that area. 

Agree. I also think we lack another top class forward. I’d expect Greenwood to come through before the next World Cup. I’d worry for his development though if Man Utd buy Kane or Haaland. 

Edited by vulva

37 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Southgate got every decision right until the last 5 minutes of the final game  I was staggered he took Walker off when we were defending a corner in the last minute of a cup final.

The subs were planned well before the corner. The clock was ticking and he needed them on before the ref blew his whistle. 

I doubt Southgate was pleased by the timing, but at the end of the day it wasn't the corner that did us. 

6 minutes ago, vulva said:

Agree. I also think we lack another top class forward. I’d expect Greenwood to come through before the next World Cup. I’d worry for his development though if Man Utd buy Kane or Haaland. 

Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood could reportedly switch his international allegiance, despite already making his competitive debut for England.

Teenage forward Greenwood picked up his first England cap in the UEFA Nations League win over Iceland back on 5 September 2020.

However, the versatile attacker has not been selected by Gareth Southgate since he was withdrawn just days later from that squad after breaking coronavirus guidelines.

Now, he is said to be considering his international future, and could still change his allegiance to Jamaica

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

I’ve seen people say the players should have been on longer. I don’t buy that. Their job was to take one kick of a football from 12 yards. I don’t see how being on the pitch for 1 minute or 101 minutes makes any difference to that. I won’t criticise them for missing. They stepped up to take one, sadly for England they didn’t score.

Southgate has been excellent this tournament, but I find it baffling that he chose a player who doesn’t take penalties to take the last one.

As for the racist abuse. I really hope the people who are found guilty, are given a custodial sentence. It will make morons think twice about posting vile stuff on social media.

2 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood could reportedly switch his international allegiance, despite already making his competitive debut for England.

Teenage forward Greenwood picked up his first England cap in the UEFA Nations League win over Iceland back on 5 September 2020.

However, the versatile attacker has not been selected by Gareth Southgate since he was withdrawn just days later from that squad after breaking coronavirus guidelines.

Now, he is said to be considering his international future, and could still change his allegiance to Jamaica

That would do his Man Utd career no good at all. Flying half way around the world for World Cup qualifiers. Money will talk. Serious talent Greenwood. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darklord said:

Really!? I've found England under Southgate the worst to watch. 

Granted I've only been watching since 86 (hand of God handed my first) so maybe worse before that but it's just mind numbing at the moment, it goes backwards more than a sheff wed side defending a lead. 

This England team keeps the ball better than any England team I’ve ever seen. They keep the ball very well under Southgate. Note how we have had arguably our most consistent period in our history as well. 

• Like 2

I reckon GS will have learned a lot from this tournament - he's a reflective and thoughtful guy 

I think if/when we are next involved in a penalty shoot-out he will not have a prepared script of takers and judge it on its merits at the time - read the room, as it were...

He will know he got a few things wrong yesterday and nobody will need to tell him that

Hos biggest problem may be that there is such a wealth of talent it's difficult to know our best team

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

We’ve got a lot of very good players. We need one to break through to be a world class player. 

I think Foden will be the one. A real shame his shot in the first few minutes of the opener hit the post. 
He never really got another chance. 

1 hour ago, vulva said:

I think they are up there with the 90 and 96 teams. My first memory is the Spain 82 side, and we’ve had some gash since then. You can’t argue with their results or progress in tournaments. What they lack is a Modric type in the middle. Foden will hopefully turn into that player. 

Up there with the 96 lot? You must be having a bath. The passion in that team, the characters and the style of play were all beyond this crop. 

Don't get me wrong they are a talented bunch but they don't play with the same character 

27 minutes ago, vulva said:

That would do his Man Utd career no good at all. Flying half way around the world for World Cup qualifiers. Money will talk. Serious talent Greenwood. 

I was listening to some podcast or other the other day and I think it was Gary Neville who was saying he thought Greenwood had the potential to be the best of the lot from this current batch. 

Be extremely shortsighted of him to switch at this stage. World cup squad next year to force his way into.

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

23 minutes ago, scram said:

I think if/when we are next involved in a penalty shoot-out he will not have a prepared script of takers and judge it on its merits at the time - read the room, as it were...

Agree. Apparently they have been using data recording science ect ect regards the pens.

And theres merit on that I'm sure.

But sometimes I think theres still a place for the gut instinct. The hunch.

Like Sako for example. 

I've liked what I've seen but yesterday I thought he looked slightly lost. 

Stuff bobbling off the shin. Overunning a touch. It happens and I'm not having a go at him, but of it was me little things like that would be in me head before handing in the pens list to the ref.

• Like 2

I won't criticize any of the players for the way they've performed in this Tournament, Sterling silenced his critics, Shaw, Rice and Phillips have been revelations and Kane and Pickford as dependable as ever, I do have to level a bit of flak at Southgate though, he got the big decisions very wrong last night and cost us the game, in comparison Mancini gave a lesson in game management. GS has done some very good work but he needs to know when to be a bit braver in his selections.

As for the Tweets from Andrew Lawrence highlighted above, what the hell was the guy thinking, a very, very misguided attempt at "humour" that looks already to have cost him dearly.

Lets hope fans can rally round the missed penalty takers especially young Saka who looks a real prospect for the future.

29 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Up there with the 96 lot? You must be having a bath. The passion in that team, the characters and the style of play were all beyond this crop. 

Don't get me wrong they are a talented bunch but they don't play with the same character 

They’ll be a far better team than the ‘96 lot by the next tournament. They were all just about at their peak, most of this squad have at least another 4 major tournaments to look forward to yet 

Edited by BIG D

39 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

No consistency with the 96 team. We rode our luck a bit in 96 We failed to

qualify in 94 and got

knocked out of the World Cup in the second round ( albeit unfortunately) in 98

Far more talent overall with this squad than 96