ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

8 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think I would tell someone who wants to take a penalty like Marcus Rashford did to make sure you score otherwise you do look a bit daft if you miss.

At half time last night I thought we hand one hand on the trophy but we seemed to retreat into our shells after that.

Overall Italy deserved to pip us.

Hard luck last night, another millimeter here or there and we could have won.

Exactly right, Rashford puts it an inch to the right and we're well in the driving seat, less pressure on the rest of the young lads and potentially a different story. 

Italy have deserved it over the course of the tournament though. You don't go 34 games unbeaten for nothing. 

Looking forward to the world Cup now! 

• Like 3

Wow, that tweet or whatever tf it was, has just cost him a lot of money and possibly his career. Hope he thinks it was worth it for a cheap shot at three young black players who had put themselves up for one of the most high pressure situations imaginable. (Ok, I know going to war is tougher before anybody points it out)  

Yes, I was bloody annoyed when Rashford started all that shuffling about in his run up and knew he would miss, but no more annoyed than if it had been Kane, Grealish etc. Yes, I shouted 'FFS Rashford' at the tv. The only colour I was interested in, was the fact that the player doing it was wearing white instead of blue and we were on a slippery slope to exiting the tournament. 

• Like 2

I genuinely believe society has moved for the better the last 10 years. It sounds crazy but I really do.

It just so happened that 10+ years ago there weren’t the same platforms for these knuckle dragging, not only racist but sexist, homophobic cretins that there are today.

Not to mention they can do it under anonymous accounts online if they wish as easy as that!

These idiots will send whatever the most hateful message they can to people. Sadly, racist seems to be that main bullet they use. 

If it was Grealish, low lives would have abused him about his sister or his sadly passed away little brother

If it involves a woman, they get sexism slapped in their face.

If it was a player born in another country, there would have been xenophobic messages 

It will NEVER go away in society, not totally eradicated, which is why ‘kick it out’ and campaigns to get people to stop isn’t enough. If it was that easy we wouldn’t have abusers in society anymore. 

The first thing that should happen is legislation and ID for social media platform. Twitter and FB don’t want that, because they’ll lose users and advertising £, but it is absolutely the right thing to do.

Social media platforms simply saying you can hide words isn’t enough. It’s not an acceptable solution.

Thats the way to stop these pigs and please everyone search and sign for the petition for that to happen. 

Edited by WhiteOwl91
  • Like 2

I couldn’t care less what colour the skin of the players that missed the penalties is, they deserve a lot of credit for having the balls to take a penalty when certain other more senior players didn’t. However they where shocking penalties, imo they tried to be to clever with them. The racist abuse they have received is sickening, discuss the penalties, say they where poor but the colour of a players skin has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vulva said:

I’m just glad I’ve got an England team worth watching. In the last 40 years, we’ve had the odd blip of decency that has entertained us. There were times I’d have turned the TV off, or forgot they were playing. I quite like this lot. I like Southgate. 

They’ve made international football interesting again, in a football world dominated and more or less ruined by money and the Premier League. Some of the comments on here are so predictable. It can only be kids, or drinks with short memories. All about blame, and that’s the culture we live in. The lads who missed the penalties should be praised for having the balls for taking one. I remember Euro 96 when the ‘Guvnor’, Paul Ince didn’t fancy it. 

Really!? I've found England under Southgate the worst to watch. 

Granted I've only been watching since 86 (hand of God handed my first) so maybe worse before that but it's just mind numbing at the moment, it goes backwards more than a sheff wed side defending a lead. 

8 minutes ago, darklord said:

Granted I've only been watching since 86 (hand of God handed my first) so maybe worse before that but it's just mind numbing at the moment, it goes backwards more than a sheff wed side defending a lead. 

I'm not Southgates biggest fan.

But I've far more enjoyed watching his sides than the 16 boredom fest that Sven,McLaren, Fabio and Roy served up.

• Like 1

Just a bloke. Being dragged along in a world that moves too quick for it's own good.

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 17.27.00.jpg

Goodnight sweet prince

Goodbye career

The good news for the lad is that his final act as a comedian has been to get a laugh out of me at watching someone get exactly what they deserve with such speed. 

His agent has even dropped him now. I know it’s petty to take so much pleasure out if this but this story has really cheered me up 👍

22 minutes ago, Errol Flashman said:

I'm not Southgates biggest fan.

But I've far more enjoyed watching his sides than the 16 boredom fest that Sven,McLaren, Fabio and Roy served up.

I’m pretty much in the same place. I’d have liked us to be a bit more adventurous and use more of our attacking talent but overall I haven’t minded watching us and as you say we have had some truly horrendous football to watch over the years. 

Id be very disappointed if Southgate doesn’t manage us through the next World Cup as a minimum. The thing that I keep having to come back to on reflection is we were not beaten once in this tournament. We scored 11 and conceded 2. Even in the pens our keeper saved 2 of them (which is normally enough to win a shootout). The average age of our team was apparently 24.

This is potentially just the start of a great time for English football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darklord said:

I think they are up there with the 90 and 96 teams. My first memory is the Spain 82 side, and we’ve had some gash since then. You can’t argue with their results or progress in tournaments. What they lack is a Modric type in the middle. Foden will hopefully turn into that player. 

9 hours ago, sternlad said:

Agree totally with this, why didn’t Shaw and Walker take penalties? Both high on confidence, both experienced professionals, both have good ball striking ability…some crazy decisions by the management team last night in all aspects of that game.

Southgate got every decision right until the last 5 minutes of the final game  I was staggered he took Walker off when we were defending a corner in the last minute of a cup final. I agree Shaw and Walker are superb strikers of the ball and I think both would have smashed it. Rashfords silly stuttering run up was absurd. Had he scored I think we would have won. 

We were in control in the first half, but from then on Italy were superior, and, as always, they know when and where to foul.

So near, yet so far .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

I couldn’t care less what colour the skin of the players that missed the penalties is, they deserve a lot of credit for having the balls to take a penalty when certain other more senior players didn’t. However they where shocking penalties, imo they tried to be to clever with them. The racist abuse they have received is sickening, discuss the penalties, say they where poor but the colour of a players skin has nothing to do with it. 

Southgate said no one refused to take a penalty.

It was him alone that decided the takers and in what order and he based his decision on how they took them in training.

IMO he shouldn't have put those youngsters who had only been on the pitch for minutes, in that pressure cooker situation.

Senior players such as Walker, Grealish, Shaw, Sterling should have had that responsibility.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Southgate got every decision right until the last 5 minutes of the final game  I was staggered he took Walker off when we were defending a corner in the last minute of a cup final. I agree Shaw and Walker are superb strikers of the ball and I think both would have smashed it. Rashfords silly stuttering run up was absurd. Had he scored I think we would have won. 

We were in control in the first half, but from then on Italy were superior, and, as always, they know when and where to foul.

So near, yet so far .

I was thinking the same, defending a corner, and you take Walker off for Sancho. Especially as the Italians had scored from a set piece and had some big lads. 

Unusual move