ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

3 minutes ago, sternlad said:

Agree totally with this, why didn’t Shaw and Walker take penalties? Both high on confidence, both experienced professionals, both have good ball striking ability…some crazy decisions by the management team last night in all aspects of that game.

I agree about the strange management decisions.

Failure to use substitutes among others.

Then obviously in extra time the lack of desire to win the game but to play for penalties when we are serial failures in penalty shoot outs was baffling.

2 hours ago, mcmigo said:

I agree with some that there were shades if Croatia 2018 in the match last night. An early lead , and then increasing retreat as the occasion and opposition got on top. The Italians showed why no one has beaten them in 34 matches.  

we have come a long way as many have also said.  I don’t know where the extra little bit that finally wins us tournaments comes from I must admit 

I think for starters, recognise when things need changing, and then change them. Much as I have a high regard for Gareth Southgate as a manager, I continue to question his tactical nous. The Italians had been well on top for about 30 minutes and England were clearly struggling. We needed to do something to regain the initiative – Grealish was an obvious option – yet we elected to simply try and hang on. And when the substitutions came, after the Italian equaliser, they were pretty much like for like. It was almost like Southgate came into the match with a game plan which he was absolutely determined to stick to, regardless of how the game developed.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Why do we always have to blame somebody though?

The England team have done a massive amount of work on penalties, but that doesn't mean they're going to win 100% of the shoot outs.

We don't win any penalty shoot outs. Just one would be nice for a change.

:duntmatter:

I know pens are now engrained in football matches where a result has to be achieved on the night but is there a better way?

I like the idea of playing on with each team taking two players off every 7 mins until someone scores. The side starting on more cards could be made to start with one less player for the first 7mins to help eradicate some of the cynical shîthousery that goes on. Would be interesting and would be brilliant if it got down to two players on the pitch!

9 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Except that last 2 against Columbia and Switzerland, but yeah good point...

lol

Fair cop about the Columbia game in the last World Cup. 

Re Switzerland, It's debatable whether the Nations League can be classed as a major tournament.

But 2 out of 8 isn't great.

18 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

I think for starters, recognise when things need changing, and then change them. Much as I have a high regard for Gareth Southgate as a manager, I continue to question his tactical nous. The Italians had been well on top for about 30 minutes and England were clearly struggling. We needed to do something to regain the initiative – Grealish was an obvious option – yet we elected to simply try and hang on. And when the substitutions came, after the Italian equaliser, they were pretty much like for like. It was almost like Southgate came into the match with a game plan which he was absolutely determined to stick to, regardless of how the game developed.

I have to agree, when you see the attacking options we have sat on the bench Southgate should have changed things and given the Italians a different problem, at least try and gain the initiative back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

A draw against an italy side unbeaten in 34 games is a very good result, and Italy will be very strong contenders at the WC if they retain Mancini,  but I do agree with elements of your post.  Mancini is a very canny operator, pushed his team up , told Chiesa to drift about and run at us , and we didnt cope.  I thought Chiesa was the best player on the pitch.

There are squad concerns - there is limited GK talent behind Pickford if he gets injured, and we are incredibly reliant on Kane - no player in the squad as a main striker comes anywhere close to him.    We are a talented team but just short at the final and very highest level.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

Absolutely. We didn’t get out of our own half for the first 25 mins of the second half. We couldn’t get hold of the ball and when we did we simply lumped it to half way (it was like watching Wednesday!).

If he was banking on the counter attack then he and the players need to know how to play it😂

If he’d changed it after 55-60 mins who knows we could be Euro Champs. That’s the worst thing - we will never know!

43 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I know pens are now engrained in football matches where a result has to be achieved on the night but is there a better way?

I like the idea of playing on with each team taking two players off every 7 mins until someone scores. The side starting on more cards could be made to start with one less player for the first 7mins to help eradicate some of the cynical shîthousery that goes on. Would be interesting and would be brilliant if it got down to two players on the pitch!

Every neutral and German loves a penalty shoot out