ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 vs 🇮🇹 ITALY - EUROS FINAL - Official Matchday Thread ⚽️

1 minute ago, Spondon Owl said:

Best team in tournament won. Fair play. I can't abide Southgates tactics.

He has been tactically brilliant for most of the tournament. We have conceded 2 goals in the whole tournament and lost a final on penalties.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

Best team in tournament won. Fair play. I can't abide Southgates tactics.

Yes - best team in the tournament, best team on the night. Well done Italy. But really - all the times we've lost penalty shootouts to teams who seemed to never miss - the one time a team misses a couple, we do even worse.

Edited by Sova
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sexpistol said:

Ah so it’s let’s all have a go at Southgate. Someone has to ultimately miss.

When Southgate was given the job it wasn't a popular choice. He was thought to be boring inspiring too cautious. For the last few months he's been looked on as a footballing genius. Maybe he isn't all that after all because somebody got the decision of who took the penalties wrong?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guest OwlPastie

Southgate needs to go. Absolutely shocking. Time and time again he keeps match winners on the bench to play defensive and is scared. 

To not get Grealish on in 90 mins, play for pens and the subs you bring on for that outcome both miss. It's 100% on Southgate. 

We did well to get to the final, but a positive manager who can utilise the talent we have can take us so far. 

Just now, sexpistol said:

He has been tactically brilliant for most of the tournament. We have conceded 2 goals in the whole tournament and lost a final on penalties.

I'm not sure we'll agree but I'm not sure I agree with you. We have played against distinctly average sides (including Germany who are a shadow of their former self) and mostly labored against them. 

With the array of attacking talent on hand I'm just not sure 4 5 1 is the way to go.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy Crawshaw said:

This.... Southgate was outplayed by Mancini I'm afraid.

Southgate was outplayed by himself

Nonsense staring line up - completely ceded to the Italy formation

Awful tactics after a surprise early goal

And criminal to bring a couple of kids on to take penalties

I've seen this movie too...

Too many times

• Like 5

Second successive game we had a Dutch Ref. Second successive game we had a 🤡. That challenge on Grealish and No Red? Where was VAR and it’s a wonder Saka doesn’t have whiplash after that grabbing the shirt off the peg challenge from Chiellini?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OwlPastie said:

Southgate needs to go. Absolutely shocking. Time and time again he keeps match winners on the bench to play defensive and is scared. 

To not get Grealish on in 90 mins, play for pens and the subs you bring on for that outcome both miss. It's 100% on Southgate. 

We did well to get to the final, but a positive manager who can utilise the talent we have can take us so far. 

Agreed. I just don't feel Southgate makes the most of what he has, which arguably is a very fluid and attacking side.

Then again, we lost in a final on penalties so we're not too far from glory even playing largely dour football.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Marro said:

The England team did well and when the dust settles should be proud of their achievement......but at the end of the day sport is about the winning.

"you know nothing about football" 

:Chansiri:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Italy much the better team, but those 3 penalties especially Rashfords where pathetic. Also some bad management from Southgate, should have changed things much sooner, and having the 2 subs come on so late and more or less the first thing they have to do is take a penalty, terrible. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

I'm not sure we'll agree but I'm not sure I agree with you. We have played against distinctly average sides (including Germany who are a shadow of their former self) and mostly labored against them. 

With the array of attacking talent on hand I'm just not sure 4 5 1 is the way to go.

Southgate needs to learn - and learn fast

That was a classic example of him trying to be clever and outdoing himself

I mean, lets be honest - it was f*cking crap

• Like 9

17 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Honestly with that view you should be banned from watching and excluded from England matches in person and on TV and Radio 

You just don’t deserve this final with views like that

Pessimism and ‘yeah but….’ when trying to find reasons NOT to be in total admiration for what is happening and is getting into our first final since 1966 where others haven’t  - that’s a total disgrace 

(no offence like 🤣)

Ps please don’t reply to me until at least the day after the match because I’m 100% going to enjoy today in every little way possible without anyone chirping in my ear or posting on here to tell my why I shouldnt 

COME ON ENGLAND 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

I so wish I wasn’t replying to your post, but I did watch despite your half tongue in cheek suggestion I didn’t deserve to watch. Sadly the final was very predictable, Mancini was the better manager, he even took off Chiesa when he was the most dangerous player on the pitch, he got fresh legs on, he made better decisions. Overall, it’s not changed my view that Southgates done really well, but I’m not going to worship him like you and I’m not going to be eternally thankful for what he has done. As a Wednesday related simile, Carvahal took us to our highest place in the last 21 years. I’m not going to be eternally grateful to him either. I liked him, he did well, but he made mistakes. He picked the wrong team against Hull, keeping the same team and formation that had spent the last 90 minutes on the back foot against Brighton. With Hull more experienced players, it just needed something like Joao up front and Fessi wide left, but he was never going to drop Bannan. Then when we had a bigger opportunity the following year, he decided to play more defensive football and even took that into the Huddersfield games, playing against a team that scored very few and loved tight games. We missed that opportunity, very much like England have tonight. Sometimes being ultra cautious will get you through, but most tournament and league winners play their most creative players and take the game to the opposition, moreover, that’s the type of football I want to see. If Southgate continues, I hope he will learn to be braver. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

Italy much the better team, but those 3 penalties especially Rashfords where pathetic. Also some bad management from Southgate, should have changed things much sooner, and having the 2 subs come on so late and more or less the first thing they have to do is take a penalty, terrible. 

And he almost didn't get em on as Italy were keeping the ball

Putting all that pressure on Saka for the last penalty was silly. Bringing on two players to take penalties at the end when they had hardly played was another crazy decision.

Our strength on the bench should have been used to win the game not sit and wait for the lottery of penalty kicks. Fair play to Italy they had us in there back pocket for all but 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OwlPastie said:

Whilst you are entitled to your opinion, to suggest Southgate should go is either being a contrarian or your post screams of look at me look at me.

In two major events, we have reached a SF and a final which we lost on penalties. He is our second most successful manager ever.